AR Newbie Registered Member

volume on h/k avr120

I have a Harman/Kardon AVR120 with just a 2.1 hooked up right now and it seems like I need to set the volume abnormally loud for normal listening. Volume range is displayed from -80dB to +10dB and for casual listening I need to have it set at around -5dB. I've maxed it out, and it's loud, but something doesn't seem right. I have two different sources connected through two different inputs and the volume issue is the same.

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by caglo
    I've maxed it out, and it's loud, but something doesn't seem right. I have two different sources connected through two different inputs and the volume issue is the same.
    The only important thing is whether or not the preamp section can fully drive the amplifiers to clipping. There are no standards for gain control positions and the output of sources / sensitivity of amplifiers varies all over the place.

Volume range is displayed from -80dB to +10dB
    My NAD is similar with a range of -60 db to +18 db. +10 or +18 with respect to exactly what? Understand that a volume control is essentially a light dimmer. At full open, it is really 0db. Essentially out of the circuit. It can only attenuate (dim). Since most preamplification sections can overdrive the amplifiers, one usually listens to the signal attenuated to some degree, sometimes varying with the source.

I wouldn't worry about it.

rw

Unlikely, but possible: Some amps have a mute button that attenuates the volume instead of the more typical zero volume, check to make sure it's "off" if the amp has one.

Since many amps have gain either before or after the volume control even the zero attenuation example from E-Stat isn't necessarily accurate. The dB numbers are pretty much meaningless.

Most older equipment was designed to output 1V RMS except CD players are mostly 2V RMS. I guess end users were supposed to be impressed with how much louder CDs were?
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Cool

I have a Harman/Kardon AVR120 with just a 2.1 hooked up right now and it seems like I need to set the volume abnormally loud for normal listening. Volume range is displayed from -80dB to +10dB and for casual listening I need to have it set at around -5dB. I've maxed it out, and it's loud, but something doesn't seem right. I have two different sources connected through two different inputs and the volume issue is the same.

Any advice?
    You checked it from the source side, have you checked it from the speaker side?
    Are your speakers rather huge? Could be that is a problem if the impedance is also high
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Any advice?
    hello caglo you may have a problem with that unit. from experence i have own sevral hks over the years from the AVR 7 to 320 430 435 and the AVR635 and for some reason they all had a bug in the volume area, the AVR320 volume would go up on its own they burn out a pair energy C6 i had.the AVR430 had the same prob. they gave me the AVR435 for it HARMAN/KARDON will take care you if you have warranty. check all your connections to see if you find anything wrong if its ok give them a call.ho i gave the AVR635 to my son. when these units are working good you'ill love em very powerfull. hope this helps. rgds Winston

Thread Information