Swish bought what? Vinyl you say? No way!

Yes, after spending last night at the Borgata in Atlantic City (I did take some of their money). we drove back late this morning and stopped in Manayunk for lunch and to check out what was in stock at Main Street Music, a place I've been to many times in the past. I never bothered to look at their meager supply of vinyl (a few hundred perhaps), mostly used but some good new stuff too, but that was priority # 1 this time.

It didn't take me long as I worked backward alphabetically since some guy was hogging other rows. I first picked up The Mayor of Simpleton by XTC, for a mere $2.00. It's labeled as a "Specially-Priced Maxi-Single, but I'd call it an EP with 5 songs total. Next I grabbed The Colour of Spring by Talk Talk, also for a mere $2.00, and it's in near mint condition, including the jacket. I believe this one was their biggest seller, and perhaps their best, but I'm sure a few of you RR nerds will be commenting on that. Next I grabbed Small Change, a 1976 release from Tom Waits (his vinyl is hard to find, so grab it when you can) for $10.00, and it's in very good condition, especially the vinyl, and finally Jukebox from Cat Power, for a paltry $28.99. This one is new, of course, and is a 'Premium Vinyl Pressing HQ-180" by RTI and is billed as a limited-edition deluxe edition that includes a bonus disc with 5 exclusive covers of songs by the Hot Boys, Moby Grape, Nick Cave, Roberta Flack and Patsy Cline. How could I resist.

I'm not done with CDs though, and grabbed the new Sigur Ros and Lie Down in the Light by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy. I'm hoping they're both winners. I saw a lot more vinyl I could have taken along, but I just don't want to get too crazy already. Steady as she goes Swishdaddy.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    um, I'm not sure why you'd think anyone would blow you heat over "Talk Talk", that's some great stuff. I am a little concerned that you threw down 30 sheckels and are impressed by the -super-fabulous-bonus- of Moby Grape and Roberta Flack tunes ??

The new Sigur Ros is good, not great IMO, but a more jaunty trip through their world. It would be a lie to say they show "serious growth" or any other such pretentious nonsense, but they seem to have loosened up and I suspect that this album will translate brilliantly live.

On the other hand, the new "Shearwater" is all it's cracked up to be. I hear some Queen, and the aformentioned Jethro Tullisms, but also all the pomp and circumstance of Hogarthian era Marillion. From the getgo this thing strikes out in dynamic fashion and on more than one occasion simmers with some yet-to-be-resolved potential.

This isn't Shearwater-light, that is to say, it isn't a rollicking jaunt through the fields. Maybe it's easier in your terms...this isn't Alejandro Escovedo with a Weissen with the air conditioning on. This is on the porch at sundown with an Apple Doux Summer's End Semi-Sweet Apple Wine or a Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter and a Cohiba Lonsdale Grande kinda heavy...

I'm glad we've learned how to communicate.

You misunderstood rasta mon.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    um, I'm not sure why you'd think anyone would blow you heat over "Talk Talk", that's some great stuff. I am a little concerned that you threw down 30 sheckels and are impressed by the -super-fabulous-bonus- of Moby Grape and Roberta Flack tunes ??

The new Sigur Ros is good, not great IMO, but a more jaunty trip through their world. It would be a lie to say they show "serious growth" or any other such pretentious nonsense, but they seem to have loosened up and I suspect that this album will translate brilliantly live.

On the other hand, the new "Shearwater" is all it's cracked up to be. I hear some Queen, and the aformentioned Jethro Tullisms, but also all the pomp and circumstance of Hogarthian era Marillion. From the getgo this thing strikes out in dynamic fashion and on more than one occasion simmers with some yet-to-be-resolved potential.

This isn't Shearwater-light, that is to say, it isn't a rollicking jaunt through the fields. Maybe it's easier in your terms...this isn't Alejandro Escovedo with a Weissen with the air conditioning on. This is on the porch at sundown with an Apple Doux Summer's End Semi-Sweet Apple Wine or a Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter and a Cohiba Lonsdale Grande kinda heavy...

I'm glad we've learned how to communicate.
    I know Talk Talk is great stuff. I meant that I usually muddle the 'facts' a bit, so I was waiting to be corrected. I stated it was their best-seller, but I'm prolly rong (sic).

$30 for Chan is worth it. Every penny IMO. Got any more of those Cohibas? Not a Lonsdale fan, but I'd give 'em a shot if they're heavy.

Swishdaddy
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Way to get back in the game, Swish.
    They are alot of indie LP that offers free MP3 downloads.

Check out Wood Brothers if you can swing to it. Mine came with a free CD.
    Matter of fact, I'll add that to a list.

JRA

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Don't encourage him. He's gonna get pissed off the first time he has to change the stylus and blame anyone who lends credence to this folly.

Small Change isn't his best - I guess, according to the experts - but it does have a great song (according to this non-expert); Step Right Up, with the great Shelly Manne on drums - Love that song! "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    Small Change isn't his best - I guess, according to the experts - but it does have a great song (according to this non-expert); Step Right Up, with the great Shelly Manne on drums - Love that song! "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away"
    I love that album, personally. Every track on it. And yeah, that "Step Right Up" track is purest golden win.

That's right, it filets, it chops, it dices, slices,
    Never stops, lasts a lifetime, mows your lawn
    And it mows your lawn and it picks up the kids from school
    It gets rid of unwanted facial hair, it gets rid of embarrassing age spots,
    It delivers a pizza, and it lengthens, and it strengthens
    And it finds that slipper that's been at large
    under the chaise lounge for several weeks
    And it plays a mean Rhythm Master,
    It makes excuses for unwanted lipstick on your collar
    And it's only a dollar, step right up, it's only a dollar, step right up

Full lyrics here: http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/to..._right_up.html
    Mr. MidFi