Thread: Opeth

Forum Regular

Opeth

No comments yet on the new one, anyone have it yet? It's grown on me a lot. First listen I wasn't that impressed btu I am starting to like it a lot now.

and yes, there are "cookie monster" vocals...

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I've spinning it for just over a week now. I like it a lot. Even the CMVs. I like the mix of vocals on this disk. There's enough clean vocals for me to enjoy the disk, and when the CMVs kick in, they really seem to enhance the song. They aren't the focus of the disk. Some great music on this one one.

The opening track was actually running through my head as I was falling asleep last night. Not really what you'd expect from a death metal band. Then again, that could explain the dreams I had about slaughtering chickens.

I think I read somewhere this is also available in DVD form with a 5.1 DTS mix.

FWIW the only thing I known for sure about Opeth is THEY SUCK!!! (sorry, had to be said)
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

I haven't heard the whole thing yet, but many a deathmetal fan laments the de-emphasizing of CMVs, which for me, is a good thing. They are the proggiest deathmetal band out there, so if you love cookie monster vox, and hate prog, this disc is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    I think I read somewhere this is also available in DVD form with a 5.1 DTS mix.
    This is true. I didn't hear about the double disk set until after I bought the single disk.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Gallery
    FWIW the only thing I known for sure about Opeth is THEY SUCK!!! (sorry, had to be said)
    It's worth nothing.

FWIW the only thing I know for sure about Opeth is THEY SUCK!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    It's worth noting.
    Agreed

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Agreed

Yes, the new Opeth album is worth noting. I'm glad you agree.

I like the new Opeth. It is by far their most accessible album to date save Damnation which was all acoustic. Watershed reminds me of that album in this way but it does rock your world cookie monster vocals and all. But when I really want to hear Opeth at their best I put in Blackwater Park.

Cheers
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    I like the new Opeth. It is by far their most accessible album to date save Damnation which was all acoustic. Watershed reminds me of that album in this way but it does rock your world cookie monster vocals and all. But when I really want to hear Opeth at their best I put in Blackwater Park.

Cheers
    Holy crap! Looky what the cat dragged in. Great to see you Darren!

I agree with your comments, but one of the things that I like about Watershed over Damnation is that it is less Steve Wilson influenced. Not that an SW influence is a bad thing, but this album sounds like a softer Opeth whereas Damnation sounded like Porcupine Tree light (and I say that in a good way).

I hope that you stick around Darren. You are definately missed around here.

Who or what

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    No comments yet on the new one, anyone have it yet? It's grown on me a lot. First listen I wasn't that impressed btu I am starting to like it a lot now.

and yes, there are "cookie monster" vocals...
    Who or what is "Opeth" and why should I care?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Who or what is "Opeth" and why should I care?
    They are a death metal band who like to dabble in progressive rock. If you like this type of music you should care because they are accomplished musicians who are very good at what they do.

Thanks, FA

They are a death metal band who like to dabble in progressive rock. If you like this type of music you should care because they are accomplished musicians who are very good at what they do.
    I appreciate your response.

A "death metal band who like to dabble in progressive rock"?? Humm ... well that explains why I hadn't heard of them -- and why I shall continue to not care.

Chacun à son goût -- or is it chacun à ses goûts? Your choice!

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I appreciate your response.

A "death metal band who like to dabble in progressive rock"?? Humm ... well that explains why I hadn't heard of them -- and why I shall continue to not care.

Chacun à son goût -- or is it chacun à ses goûts? Your choice!
    Would you be more convinced if I argued they were a progressive rock band that dabbled in death metal? I've found they tend to have far more substance than a lot of the DM bands I used to listen too...

...I'm guessing Feanor still taking a pass on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Would you be more convinced if I argued they were a progressive rock band that dabbled in death metal? I've found they tend to have far more substance than a lot of the DM bands I used to listen too...

...I'm guessing Feanor still taking a pass on this one...
    Yeah, I don't think that it would matter to Feanor either way.

I was going to put more emphasis on their proginess, but if you ask Mikael Akerfeldt what kind of a band they are, he'll tell you that Opeth is a death metal band.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Yeah, I don't think that it would matter to Feanor either way.

I was going to put more emphasis on their proginess, but if you ask Mikael Akerfeldt what kind of a band they are, he'll tell you that Opeth is a death metal band.
    Pffft, like he would know...

i like watershed the best
    of all their albums
    it has the most variety
    of any of their albums
    not just changes

Suspended
    I'm not a big DM fan. Once it gets into such a high gear there isn't a melody or resembles music, I get lost. Tristania and similar bands got me to accept CM vocals on a limited and well placed basis. Watershed was my second Opeth album after Damnation. It's like once you get your toes wet you want to wade in a bit more. The first listen I thought I might have made a mistake, the CM vocals were too much of a contrast and seemed to not be well placed or more accurately no bridging into it. The second and third listen I either was in a better mood for it or caught more than prior listens because it is growing on me. No matter what you like, track 1, is an incredible song. There's some good guitar work on this album as well. Even though it's growing on me it still seems like the CM vocals are out of place on this album, it needs more heavy parts for them to be in place.

Is Blackwater Park Progressive?

it would be the logical next step for you
    yes
    (sorry watched dark city recently)

Nothing else will sound like Damnation. But I also quite like Ghost Reveries. I'm not familiar with Blackwater Park.

Thread Information