Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suspended

Yes, New (Temp) Admin

I've had a couple of conversations now with atomicAdam, who is here temporarily to update the site. He wants suggestions on how best to improve the experience here and according to what he tells me, a new permanent admin is being sought. I'm going to post the two e-mail conversations I've had with him and I included JM & E-stat with my second reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Can you tell me atomicAdam if you are an active administrator here? IF you've read my or a lot of other people's posts in the Site Feedback forum, you'd notice there has been quite a bit of frustration exhibited because of the lack of leadership. Your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Hey Rich,

The answer to the question is yes and no. I am working on updating the site but I am not the new admin admin. Though, if you have ideas, request, even just links to things you've already said I would like to read them. In fact you can spread the word too for others to comment.

Thanks,
    -adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Thanks for the quick response Adam. The biggest issue we have here is with spammers. JohnMichael and E-stat spend most of their time tracking down spammers and deleting their posts and memberships. In many discussion forums I've posted in, you have to make your e-mail address visible to admins during registration. If you don't do that, a pop-up window appears and if you answer no to the question, you can go no further. This I think would go a long way towards cutting down the crap from spammers we have to deal with on a daily basis.

I'm glad you say you're here to update the site because there are days when posts by members take very long to appear, and I've read where some people don't have the "Quick Reply" box at times.

Here are some links to threads that contain some of the complaints we've had over time:

This one was about e-mail (PM messages I believe)

AR email problem

This one was about PM's from spammers and the only way to stop them was by sending them to a mod, but my contention is that the site's software should be able to catch this.
    PM's from Spammers?????

Here's a thread about suggestions for reoganizing the forum topic breakdown:
    Time to Reorganize?

And there are people who've tried to add products to the AR database with no luck. Post #4 includes an error message:
    http://forums.audioreview.com/showth...179#post221179

The biggest question I've had during my time here is why there was no admin assigned to replace ericl?

I've included our two active mods in this message, and in my opinion, some of the others who show up as mods should be decommisioned as they no longer post here. (Geoffcin and ericl come to mind).

My hope is that we'll see a more modernized forum Adam, because as you can see we've become a tight knit community, and a lot of our posts show up on the Google Search website.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help us out. -Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Hey Rich,

Thanks for the PM.

I will go over the forum issues w/ our engineer and see what can best be done. I agree - spammers are lame - and they are a problem on all forums that consumerreview.com runs. MTBR, RBR, Photo...etc..

I know a replacement for Eric is being sought, but no match yet.

Give me some time to take on these issues. I will be spending a lot of effort getting audioreview.com back into better shape but my time is also split among other things.

Thanks for the feed back and PM or email me anytime.
    adam@consumerreview.com

-adam
    So feel free to make your questions and concerns known here or via e-mail to Adam, and maybe we can finally have a site that works well for everybody.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Well. you have been busy Richie Rich!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

You have got way too much free time on your hands buddy. Repeat after me.

"Too much time on my hands" (clap clap)
    "Too much time on my hands" (whisper)
    "Too much time on my hands"
    (Bzzzzzzzzz...)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thanks for your efforts, Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I've had a couple of conversations now with atomicAdam, who is here temporarily to update the site. He wants suggestions on how best to improve the experience here and according to what he tells me, a new permanent admin is being sought. I'm going to post the two e-mail conversations I've had with him and I included JM & E-stat with my second reply:
    So feel free to make your questions and concerns known here or via e-mail to Adam, and maybe we can finally have a site that works well for everybody.
    Rich, thanks for your initiative. I certainly do feel that the spam problem is more obvious here at AR than most forums, whether the problem is technical or a matter of site policy.

Suspended
    I made sticks aware of this last night and he told me he'd probably send him a note as well.

As long as Adam is being up front with us, I'd say now's the time to SPEAK UP!

wouldn't it be easier if Adam could just post in this thread too?

seriously: improvements for AR...
    besides the spammers, and everything else concerning the topics on this thread, I think what we most need is more traffic. More people here, so maybe advertising AR could be a good idea...

and definately: an introductions forum, they've got one recently on AK, and from of the start, this has been a big succes. I think alot of people hesitate because they can't find a place where they can properly introduce themselves...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Well. you have been busy Richie Rich!
    Well shiver me timbers, Mr. Dome posted in one of my threads. I'll be a monkey's uncle!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    Probably not Bert since like he said he's splitting his time with other efforts. I'm going to send him a link to this thread.

Probably not Bert since like he said he's splitting his time with other efforts. I'm going to send him a link to this thread.

OK
    thanks for the effort btw rich

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Quote Originally Posted by basite

seriously: improvements for AR...
    besides the spammers, and everything else concerning the topics on this thread, I think what we most need is more traffic. More people here, so maybe advertising AR could be a good idea...

and definately: an introductions forum, they've got one recently on AK, and from of the start, this has been a big succes. I think alot of people hesitate because they can't find a place where they can properly introduce themselves...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    I'm thinking of a template. Once someone starts a new account, they get asked a few basic questions (or info could be pulled from their profile). Then a post/thread is automatically started in the introductions forum. It could be something like this. Hi, my name is (insert nickname or UID), I joined this site because (answer to why did you join our site) etc. Then give the new member the option to add more, edit or even delete before posting. Of coarse, the new member would get an explination of why they are being asked to start a thread.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Let's see...

Home Theater forum has 99 pages dating back to 2003.
    General Audio forum has 65 pages dating back to 2003.
    News and Rumors forum has 12 pages dating back to 2004
    Speakers forum has 87 pages dating back to 2003
    ... etc etc etc.

Anything more than say 2 years old should either be archived (compressed) or deleted. That would surely help speed up page load times. I think RL's biggest gripe about this site was the sometimes agonizingly long load times.

Suspended
    Looks like I'm alone on an island here. Mods, why are you not participating in this thread?

I agree that an introductions forum would be helpful, but I think to create templates and such would require a lot of coding. Again, if new members were forced to allow mods and admins to see their e-mail address, it would help cut down on spam. The check box already exists on the registration page.

I also think it's time for either more mods or new ones. The Leaders page could use some restructuring IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Of coarse,
    GRAMMAR GESTAPO!
    It should read "Of course"

(but we all know you that's what you meant....)

Ether way, good to see someone is finally taking action to tackle the nagging problems of the site.

Seems I migrated away for a while there, I'm back, don't know for how long, but here nonetheless.

(Seems I became content with my stereo and stopped needing upgrading advice :P)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    GRAMMAR GESTAPO!
    He he snicker snicker.

Quote Originally Posted by _dude
    Seems I migrated away for a while there, I'm back, don't know for how long, but here nonetheless.
    Yes you did. Nevertheless, it's good to see a familiar face 'round these parts again.

Quote Originally Posted by _dude
    The same thing happened to me after I bought my first Home Theater receiver. After a while though I became tired of its limitations so the upgrade bug started up again. Been here since, and with some great advice and alert eyes for bargains from some good people here, I've realized a goal that eluded me for many many years. And MAN, does it crank out the dB's!!!

(Gee, I hope I didn't sound like a politician with that suck-up speech. )

GRAMMAR GESTAPO!

(but we all know you that's what you meant....)

Ether way, good to see someone is finally taking action to tackle the nagging problems of the site.

I meant for it to be a rough explanation. Oh, nevermind.

yeah, long time no see dude

welcome back

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

JSE

Ether way,

The same thing happened to me after I bought my first Home Theater receiver. After a while though I became tired of its limitations so the upgrade bug started up again. Been here since, and with some great advice and alert eyes for bargains from some good people here, I've realized a goal that eluded me for many many years. And MAN, does it crank out the dB's!!!
    Well, mine was too things:
    1. My stereo had the sound and quality I was looking for.
    2. I was flat broke...

Suspended
    Well, mine was too things:
    1. My stereo had the sound and quality I was looking for.
    2. I was flat broke...
    I can see where that might be a contributing factor.

On topic: I've been sub'ed to forums where there is much sponsor participation, meaning... the sponsors have a sub-forum where they post special purchase deals for forum members. I think the AVS and Audioholics forums have a similar model, so why can't the same type of thing exist here? Since they sponsor this site, IMO it would give them more visibility and at the same time make the members here feel more comfortable when they're wanting to purchase A/V equipment. Besides that, I think these ads in the right hand column and across the top do nothing more than annoy most of us.

Ajani
    I also think it's time for either more mods or new ones.
    My vote for new mods:

Pix for News and Rumours

&

Spanky for Computer Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    My vote for new mods:

Pix for News and Rumours

&

Spanky for Computer Audio

Audio_dude for portable audio...

Ajani
    Audio_dude for portable audio...
    Audio_who?

Suspended
    Seriously though

Seriously though
    Did I sound like I was kidding?

The portable audio section is one of the most spammed sections in this whole damn place.
    Needs some dedicated policing. *pulls out mirrored aviators*

Suspended
    Did I sound like I was kidding?
    I'm glad you're not _dude! atomicAdam's e-mail addy is in my first post, so send him an e-mail. I was responding to Ajani's post.

The portable audio section is one of the most spammed sections in this whole damn place.
    Needs some dedicated policing. *pulls out mirrored aviators*
    Never noticed since I don't spend much time there.

I have to say something about the moderation of this site... again. Every discussion forum that I've visited always had a slew of moderators. There are only TWO active mods here which just seems rediculous to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information