Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

How about them Red Wings?

While nobody from these parts declared any love for them Detroit boys over the past weeks it's hard to argue that they didn't deserve the win. You'll get no argument either that the trap defense style can be boring to watch but, damn, those characters do it well. It's probably worth noting too that the Wings should get some praise for enduring the shedding of the old guard and coach and maintaining through a great farm system a clear dominance.

...and at least it wasn't the Leafs.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Fleury

I would imagine that Detroit fans and the press will take the opportunity to pound on certain Penguin's players---as they should, something about "spoiles" comes to mind--but through it all that Fleury kid impressed me. With Cindy learning what it's like to play in the big leagues and Malkin largely disappearing in the finals ther could be a considerable argument made for Fleury taking the Conn Smythe reminiscent of the Brodeur thing a few years back. In any case, I think he's a talented with a bright future...

...although it shopuld be noted that the game winning goal was technically scored by his butt. Can you say "Statue of Liberty"?

Hehehehe

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The Red Wings executed the left-wing lock to a tee (not exactly a trap) but they certainly weren't boring to watch.

At the end of the day, the two super Wing forwards outclassed the dynamic duo from Pittsburgh - that's age/experience. And that made the difference - Zetterberg and Datsyuk don't get much respect, but there's a reason both have been nominated for top defensive forward as well as racking up a ton of points - that's a whole other dimension the Wings put against Crosby and Malkin.

Fleury got robbed of the Conn Smythe though. This guy came out of nowhere and in 3 months has made a name and a career for himself. He's no longer just the goalie fortunate enough to be able to win games with a 3.54 GAA.

Detroit deserves a ton of respect. Pittsburgh built its team by sucking for a decade, winning 3 draft lotteries, and miracling themselves into Crosby and Malkin when most years the #1 and #2 picks are 1/2 as good. Detroit built this team by shrewd drafting in the late rounds (Datsyuk and Zetterberg), solid scouting in Europe (Franzen, Holmstrom,) and building a good supporting cast to compliment good coaching. I dont' think the Wings have drafted higher than 20th in 12 years.

For Detroit - this is the beginning of the end of the golden era - Draper, Maltby, Lidstrom, Hasek, Osgood, etc aren't getting younger, and are probably on the way out sooner than later.

For Pittsburgh - hate to say it - but this is the beginning of the end too - with Malkin set to make $9-$11 million this year, Gonchar, Fleury, Staal, and a slew of others coming due for contracts, there's no way they can keep Hossa without subtracting a ton elsewhere. Sykora is set to cash in too. The time was now in Pittsburgh with an injury ravaged East Conference and easy ride to the Finals, they'll never get a chance like that again. Never. They'll fight for top spot, but it'll be 6 horse race in future years instead of a formality.

Not a bad season overall. Once again my pre-season picks were nowhere near the outcome. Gotta love parity.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    maintaining through a great farm system a clear dominance.

Yesssssss. Go Red Wings and Griffins!
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    I hate the Wings, but I hate Cindy, Gina and the Pens a lot more. I hope Cindy is crying on Mario's shoulder right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    I hate the Wings, but I hate Cindy, Gina and the Pens a lot more. I hope Cindy is crying on Mario's shoulder right now.
    As much as I dislike the Pens, I think Crosby's one of the best things to happen to the NHL in a long time. He creates an excitement and interest like noone else right now, and it's a shot in the arm that the NHL needs.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

Forum Regular
    He needs to grow up, he's the biggest crybaby in the league

Quote Originally Posted by Stone
    As much as I dislike the Pens, I think Crosby's one of the best things to happen to the NHL in a long time. He creates an excitement and interest like noone else right now, and it's a shot in the arm that the NHL needs.

Nah, there's way bigger crybaby's than Sid. Chris Chelios is just as bad, but he's not selling tickets and drawing camera attention. But it's caught up to Crosby. The refs weren't calling much against him in the last 2 rounds.
    Hockey still has a major officiating issue to solve - it's been much better since the crackdown on obstruction, but it's a work in progress - the subjective element is far greater with more impact on results than the other sports - in the NFL and NBA a foul in the pre-season is generally called the same as it is in the OT of a playoff game. Not so in hockey - to many refs still "let 'em play" much to the disadvantage of talented players like Datsyuk and Crosby, and only blatant infractions seem to be called in later stages of the game when a power play could determine the outcome.

Crosby's what? 20? I'll raise expectations of his character when he's 24. He hasn't been accused of steroids, rape, running over a traffic cop, or armed assault yet at least. Nice to see from a pro-athlete/role model.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Crosby's what? 20? I'll raise expectations of his character when he's 24. He hasn't been accused of steroids, rape, running over a traffic cop, or armed assault yet at least. Nice to see from a pro-athlete/role model.
    You know we're talking about hockey and not basketball, right?**

**Sascha Lakovic doesn't count

True talk, but...

For Detroit - this is the beginning of the end of the golden era - Draper, Maltby, Lidstrom, Hasek, Osgood, etc aren't getting younger, and are probably on the way out sooner than later.
    This is the only statement in that great post that I'll dispute. Far from being the beginning of the end of the golden era, I think this is, indeed, a rebirth of sorts. The departure of the Russian cadre, Stevie Y., Brendan Shanahan, Mike Knuble and several other key elements highlights how the golden era was already a thing of the past, making this win that much more impressive given the amount of talent that needed to be replaced. These new Wings weren't my preference for champs but I'll give 'em their due and then some.

BTW, classy move on the part of Lidstrom to hand the cup to Dally Drake first off.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    This is the only statement in that great post that I'll dispute. Far from being the beginning of the end of the golden era, I think this is, indeed, a rebirth of sorts. The departure of the Russian cadre, Stevie Y., Brendan Shanahan, Mike Knuble and several other key elements highlights how the golden era was already a thing of the past, making this win that much more impressive given the amount of talent that needed to be replaced. These new Wings weren't my preference for champs but I'll give 'em their due and then some.

BTW, classy move on the part of Lidstrom to hand the cup to Dally Drake first off.
    You could be right Sticks...actually when it comes to the Wings, betting against me is usually right.
    The Wings emerged from the lockout rather unscathed compared to other big spenders who hit the cap hard, and young high-skilled teams like Buffalo, and Ottawa that couldn't keep the team together under the cap. Replacing the aged Yzerman and Shanahan combo with younger supporting types from within is a credit to their scouting - they built that team with late drafting. Still, even Detroit never expected Datsyuk, Zetterberg and the other wicked European types to be as good as they are, or they would have picked them much sooner than 6th and 7th round. A lot earlier draft picks were wasted on guys that never made it. I doubt they will be as fortunate again. But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

The goaltending and defence are where their holes will be felt first though. Rafalski is locked up another 3 years, but Lidstrom, Chelios , Stuart etc are question marks. Will they all be back, and when will age start to show? Osgood was good enough to win on a great team, and had his moments, but I never saw "franchise goalie" in his performance this year. Replacing these positions is much harder than replacing forwards. Hasek was the better goalie most of the year, but he's probably done.

Up front, well, every NHL team has top line talent now a la Datsyuk/Zetterberg (maybe not quite that level) but It's the wily ol' vets like Malty, Draper, Holmstrom, McCarty, Samuelsson and Drake that separate the Wings from the rest of the NHL. Find me a shut down pair as good as Draper/Maltby? I think the youngest of this batch is 36 in September. No spring chickens. The Wings were probably the oldest team in the league.

It's unlikely Detroit can keep this team together unless they all play as long as Cheli.
    Still, Detroit is a great place to play, and remains popular for UFA's. If they keep finding gems in the draft and shrewdly signing free agents they'll remain a contender.

This crop reminds me of the 1990 Oilers cup champs. Gone were many of the 80's dynasty players like Coffey, Gretzky, Fuhr, McSorely etc. But enough of the supporting cast of those great teams was left to support some pretty good kids in Graves, Gelinas, Murphy, Simpson, Ranford, etc. Wasn't long until, the 2/3rds of the team got too old to keep on top (or left for greener pastures). I don't think the Wings will sell Lidstrom to the Rangers, but Zetterberg's going to be a big hit under the cap. Think he made just under 2.9 Million this year with a cap hit at $2.65. That's gotta be the best buy in the NHL!!!
    He'll get Briere dollars or better in the $8-$10 mill range after next year from someone. He could get more than that now, who knows. The Wings spent to the Cap this year and will basically have to clear out 15% of their payroll just to keep him.

Now, having said all that, they're probably the Patriots of the NHL and will win again in 2 years just to tick me off.

Forum Regular
    I gotta disagree with what i highlighted. the "new NHL" has become almost painfult o watch with the amount of penalties they call these days. I'm not one who likes watching a game that is mostly 5-4, and I'm not one who thinks you need goals to make a game exciting. thats the big problem with the NHL these days, for some reason they think 10-8 games are goign to attract more fans.

Nah, there's way bigger crybaby's than Sid. Chris Chelios is just as bad, but he's not selling tickets and drawing camera attention. But it's caught up to Crosby. The refs weren't calling much against him in the last 2 rounds.
    Hockey still has a major officiating issue to solve - it's been much better since the crackdown on obstruction, but it's a work in progress - the subjective element is far greater with more impact on results than the other sports - in the NFL and NBA a foul in the pre-season is generally called the same as it is in the OT of a playoff game. Not so in hockey - to many refs still "let 'em play" much to the disadvantage of talented players like Datsyuk and Crosby, and only blatant infractions seem to be called in later stages of the game when a power play could determine the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    He needs to grow up, he's the biggest crybaby in the league
    More of this Sydney bashing that I just don't understand with hockey fans. 20 years old - his first final - more pressure than anyone else on either team - he was the only player to have to face the podium every day - facing Zetterberg / Datsyuk and Lidstrom just about every shift, and his effort (and production) was never in doubt. Compare his performance to Malkin's and tell me he's not mature beyond his years. He's even toned down the chirping to refs, but he's not getting the calls that just about everyone else gets automatically. THE KID IS 20 YEARS OLD, he carries the weight of a franchise and indeed the whole league on his shoulders, generally does so with class off the ice and commitment to effort on the ice, if he loses it once in a while on a referee, cut him some slack, I mean what kind of pressure were you under at 20 years old? But still, hockey fans complain about him. I don't get it.

Rant over - congrats to Stone, Heywood-Yech-djabolwme and all the other Hockey Town fans out there - the better team won.
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Forum Regular
    He doesnt get the calls that everyone else automatically gets? are you kidding me?? you cant breath on him wrong without getting a penalty, and if for some reason it isnt called, Cindy puts on his crybaby face and whines to the officials for the rest of the game.

I dont see the Staal brothers whining like Cindy does

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer
    More of this Sydney bashing that I just don't understand with hockey fans. 20 years old - his first final - more pressure than anyone else on either team - he was the only player to have to face the podium every day - facing Zetterberg / Datsyuk and Lidstrom just about every shift, and his effort (and production) was never in doubt. Compare his performance to Malkin's and tell me he's not mature beyond his years. He's even toned down the chirping to refs, but he's not getting the calls that just about everyone else gets automatically. THE KID IS 20 YEARS OLD, he carries the weight of a franchise and indeed the whole league on his shoulders, generally does so with class off the ice and commitment to effort on the ice, if he loses it once in a while on a referee, cut him some slack, I mean what kind of pressure were you under at 20 years old? But still, hockey fans complain about him. I don't get it.

Rant over - congrats to Stone, Heywood-Yech-djabolwme and all the other Hockey Town fans out there - the better team won.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer

I agree with everything you say except the bolded print. It's possible, even probable, that in the clutch-infested minors Syndney suffered a spate of wrongdoings---also probably where he developed his propensity to whine like a *****. Ol' boy cries about everything, and when not whining casts that baleful look toward the refs...boooeffinhoo.

I'll agree absolutely that he's been a gentleman on the mic and behind the podium, and I'll agree that he's carried an awful lot of weight. Certainly enough to surpass Malkin who disappeared at go-time. Nonetheless, boooeffinhoo.

You don't see the Staals tearing up, nor Ovetchkin whose style is dramatically more physical north-south...maybe some in-you-face goal celebrations but not whiney.

Chris Chelios is just as bad, but he's not selling tickets and drawing camera attention.
    FWIW Cheli is actually a really nice guy.

I had no idea that Heywwod was Yech...but I just started comin' around then.

Admittedly, I haven't followed hockey all that closely in ages. (I grew up following the Kings, and for whatever reason stopped following them when Gretzky landed in town)

Just looking at this series from a distance, it kinda reminded me of the 1983 finals that pitted the upstart Edmonton Oilers against the old guard NY Islanders that had won the cup three straight years. The Oilers were breaking scoring records right and left, and revolutionizing the game with their speed and skill. The veteran Islanders wound up sweeping the Oilers, in the last hurrah for that group (the following year, they lost to the Oilers in a finals rematch, and haven't been back since). This ESPN article (written before the Red Wings series) makes the same point.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playof...ory?id=3412111

The Penguins are the younger group, and in a different era before free agency, it would be easy to chalk this loss to the Red Wings as a growing experience. The Oilers learned from their devastating playoff losses in 82 and 83, and ran off their own string of Stanley Cup wins. Unfortunately for the Pens, they likely won't keep this group together with free agency losses looming, so it probably won't be as much of a step forward for them to have made the finals this year.

For the Wings, I was frankly surprised that guys like Draper, Osgood, Hasek, and Lidstrom are still playing! But, kudos to them. The Red Wings were the laughing stock of the league for decades, and then would perennially choke in the playoffs despite gaudy regular season point totals (most memorably in the Bay Area when the Sharks, only in their second year of existence and first time in the playoffs, knocked out the top-seeded Red Wings). Very impressive to see how they've retooled their roster, and kept right on winning despite the lack of any superstars. They're more of a blue collar championship squad, very much like those Islanders teams.

BTW, that Oilers loss in 82 was the high water mark for many long-time Kings fans, because it featured the "Miracle on Manchester" game where the Kings came back from a 5-0 deficit in the third period to tie the game with 5 seconds to go and win in OT. It remains the biggest comeback in playoff history. That year, the Oilers had the best record in the league and Gretzky shattered the season scoring record (92 goals, still a record).

Here's a vintage highlight reel of that game featuring Hall of Famer Bob Miller who's in his 35th season as Kings announcer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKWWhswwZog
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer

BTW, that Oilers loss in 82 was the high water mark for many long-time Kings fans, because it featured the "Miracle on Manchester" game where the Kings came back from a 5-0 deficit in the third period to tie the game with 5 seconds to go and win in OT. It remains the biggest comeback in playoff history. That year, the Oilers had the best record in the league and Gretzky shattered the season scoring record (92 goals, still a record).

Here's a vintage highlight reel of that game featuring Hall of Famer Bob Miller who's in his 35th season as Kings announcer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKWWhswwZog
    I was a young kid back then, my dad was just posted from Minot, ND to an Air Force Base near Edmonton. I became a die hard Oilers fan for my 4 years there, learned to play hockey there, and met all the great players a few times. I remember watching that game, my dad teasing me that the Oilers would lose even when it was 5-0, and of course they did. Brutal. Thanks for the painful memories, Wooch.

Thread Information