AR Newbie Registered Member

Large open plan room - which av speakers?

I have a flat that has a large kitchen/dining/family room. Sooo I use about a third of the room for watching movies on a home move system. The TV sits next to a wall in front and there is a wall on the left (actually a curve of brick and glass windows), but no walls behind or to the right (because that is where my dining table and kitchen are).

This is not the usual box room setup that speakers are usually designed for.
    Can someone suggest a speaker setup that would be suitable.
    I like to listen to music and watch movies in 5.1 movie system.

The whole room is 30ft by 30ft and the part I am using is a corner of size 18ft long by 12ft wide (TV and main speakers on the 12ft wall). Ceilings are 12ft high. It is kind of like a loft.

I have looked that systems such as KEF Instant Theatre and Mission M-Cube so far but just started. (I like the idea of the M-Cube using NXT panel technology so maybe room shape and no walls are not important with such diffuse drivers).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Forum Regular
    You've given a good description of the room, just a few questions to help get the best recommendations....
    How loud do you prefer to listen (moderate, moderate-loud, loud, very-loud)
    Do you have a budget in mind?

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Hard to tell your budget here and if you have a receiver already. Sounds like maybe you are in the $1500-$2000 range for a 5.1 system. If you already have a AV receiver could you give us the make and model. It also appears that you might prefer smaller or at least bookshelf speakers versus floorstanding speakers. I'm just trying to read between the lines. More info would be nice. Here are a couple of ideas to wet your palate. The two systems you mention are not good choices for that size room in my opinion. The little cube systems just won't do it for your room. Don't even consider the brand that rhymes with HOSE! Your room with open areas to the side and rear with the high ceiling is actually better for sound than the traditional square or many rectangular rooms. You probably need a more powerful system than you think expecially if you turn it up quite loud sometimes. Does the room have carpeting and drapes or other sound deadening material and furniture?

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast2.html

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicinwalls_main.html

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=25 (add to this system a sub from SVS, HSU or Outlaw Audio for a great sub)

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudsp...nema_1000.html

Don't be put off here by the direct to buyer brands. I own several of the above brands. I did my homework and read all the reviews. They sound just like I expected and saved a bundle compared to local dealer's brands. Some of the above systems you can make adjustments to or modify as you like. Many of them have wall brakets or are designed to hang on a wall or stand. Usually away from the wall on a stand for the right and left speaker will be best but you can experiment. Check out the websites.

RR6

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I would like to listen very loud but as it is an apartment I am a bit worried about the neighbors, although it is a 100 year old building so the walls seem to be thick.
    I think the most of the speakers can be loud not sure about the subwoofer.

Budget around $2000.

My current setup I inherited. I have an Onkyo DS-TX575X which I think is OK.
    The current speakers are a Jamos which are quite terrible, hence the upgrade.
    There are a couple of floorstanders Jamo Studio 180s, a centre and a couple of very small satellites, but I think they are worthless.

I don't really mind too much the format of the speakers.
    They should sound nice and do the job and it is a bonus if they look good.

Here's a few suggestions on building your own system.

Fronts B&W 685's or NHT Classic 3's = $650pr

Rears B&W 686's or NHT Classic 2's = $450pr

Center B&W or NHT, pick your model depending upon price $200-400

SVS, HSU, Velodyne, Mirage or Outlaw subs = $350-600, If your worried about the Bass then the Mirage S8 is a very good budget 8"sub for $350. I use a Velodyne 8" sub in my 17'x17' room with 9' ceilings and the room opens up into my kitchen which is 20x15. I have more than enough house shaking bass from the sub.

Check out the reviews of the NHT Classic 3's at www.stereophile.com The NHT's have a nice warm sound and excellent bass for a book shelf. The B&W's are brighter than the NHT's and have a little more detail in treble.

Paradigm would be another one to consider. You could pair some studio monitors with atoms for the rear channels.

This would be better than just about any package 5.1 system you can buy for under 2K
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

blackraven's advice is great speaker-wise.

if you want to upgrade your receiver, check out an onkyo TX-SR606, you can get them on ebay for ~$350 and at that price they cant be beat.
    Home Theatre:
    50" Panasonic TH-50PZ77
    Denon AVR-3808CI
    B&W 603 S3
    B&W LCR600 S3
    Paradigm Cinema ADP v.3
    SVS PB12-NSD
    Xbox 360 250GB
    Playstation 3 60GB
    Explorer 8300HD PVR 320GB
    Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB
    Harmony One

2-Channel:
    Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
    NAD C320BEE
    NAD C521BEE

If you decide to get the NHT's, you can save some money on the rear speakers and go with the NHT absolute zero's for about $350 a pair or the Super Zero's for about $250. If it was me, I'd go with the Zero's or Super Zero's for the rear's and use the money saved for that Onkyo 605/606 that Forge recommended.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP