AR Newbie Registered Member

Unhappy No sound, unless...

Hi,
    My first post - pretty "green" at this stuff. Just inherited an "old" receiver - Nikko NR1000. It looks to be in very good shape (if that alone has any value), but I can't get any sound (using speakers or headphones, so it would seem to point to something other than a speaker problem), unless I play with a "control" on the back labeled "Muting Threshold". It is a round "screw head" recessed into the case. If I turn it with a slotted screwdriver left or right to the "correct" position, I can get full, normal sound out of the speakers or headphones. But as soon as I remove the screwdriver I lose the sound completely. I stumbled on this "solution" simply as a "try anything" approach.

Stranger still - once I'm able to get sound using the method I just described, if I touch the (metal) case with the screwdriver right next to this "screw head" - not the "screw head" itself, the sound comes back - until I stop touching the case. It's all very much touch and go. It isn't reliable or consistent. Each time I attempt this, it can take 5 or 6 attempts to get it to work.

Obviously using the screwdriver is not the solution, but what the heck is going on?

Anybody have any ideas? Is this something I should be able to resolve or is this a matter for a paid professional? TIA.

Art

Normally "muting" only works on the tuner, it prevents inter station noise (a loud hiss) from being obnoxious. Older equipment had an adjustable radio signal level threshold, usually a front panel push button was supplied to disable "muting"

This control or the circuitry for muting the receiver is bad, maybe just a bad solder joint..

Does this work the same for inputs other than the receiver radio signal?

I "googled" Nikko NR1000 schematic, there were several hits. Average price was about $25.00
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    Sounds like you just need a longer screw driver so you can listen from a recliner. LOL.
    I agree with above. Sounds like a bad grounding connection.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks guys - I'm going to look into the Google sites as you suggested.
    Really appreciate your replies.

Crank it up, dude! huh? hydroman's Avatar
    Sounds like the screwdriver was providing a ground to the chassis that doesn't make now.

Open it up and ensure all bonding straps/grounds are in good order. Make a 'grounding jumper' if you need to.
    H/K AVR635 7.1
    Denon DVD900
    AE AEGIS III Mains
    ION USB Turntable w/ Shure M97XE
    15" Titanic III Sealed Enclosure Sub
    Dayton Rackmount 1000W :O
    Denon Surrounds
    Sony Bravia KDL40S2000

Thread Information