Forum Regular

Talking Best value for Speaker system <$450

I am going to get a speaker system primarily to play music out of. The music that I will play is usually going to be low to medium quality MP3 files that are downloaded. I am looking for a speaker system that will give me really good sound with good bass. Does anyone have any suggestions for a system that would be less than $450? I have been looking around and trying to find some deals on Craigs list and ebay, but I see some speakers that are somewhat expensive, but I read that they need a very powerful (and expensive) reciever to pwoer them.

So if anyone has a combination that would work well, I would really appreicate it. Thanks.

First question

Quote Originally Posted by chandl0r
    I am going to get a speaker system primarily to play music out of. The music that I will play is usually going to be low to medium quality MP3 files that are downloaded. I am looking for a speaker system that will give me really good sound with good bass. Does anyone have any suggestions for a system that would be less than $450? I have been looking around and trying to find some deals on Craigs list and ebay, but I see some speakers that are somewhat expensive, but I read that they need a very powerful (and expensive) reciever to pwoer them.

So if anyone has a combination that would work well, I would really appreicate it. Thanks.
    Hi, chandl0r,

Something we'll need to know to make suggestions, is how you intend to power the speakers you want. Do you now have a receiver or some sort of amplifier? What is your source for your MP3 files: a computer? Do you want to power the speakers directly from the computer?

Depending on your answers, it could be the self-powered, so-called "active", speakers would be a solution -- some thing like these Behringer studio monitors ...
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=248-640
    They would be a considerable improvement over typical, small computer speakers. (You would need a mini-stereo phono plug to mono 1/4" phone plug "Y" connector to connect for you sound card to speakers, but that's no big deal.)

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Can't tell if this a spam request or a real request.

Either way, look at the BOSE wave. Amazing sound for an low price, payable over several months.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Forum Regular
    Is there any downside to going with an "active" speaker such as the berringers mentioned above? They seem like a really good option for me. But I wasn't sure if there is some big downside to having those type, because I haven't seen many of those while I look for speakers on the internet. Thanks.

Gab
    Forum Regular
    Teac CR-H227i CD player/Receiver/

Mordaunt Short Carnival 2 Speakers

its a bit over your price but you will thank me

For digital look for the logitec squeezebox + project amp box but now your in 1000 $

try find it used also
    Last edited by Gab; 05-15-2008 at 11:21 AM.

I don't see a downside

Is there any downside to going with an "active" speaker such as the berringers mentioned above? They seem like a really good option for me. But I wasn't sure if there is some big downside to having those type, because I haven't seen many of those while I look for speakers on the internet. Thanks.
    Behringer is a very well known brand, but more so to music professionals than home users. There is no downside to this type of speaker for use with a computer as source. On the contrary: they have the advantage of good high & low frequency and room compensation controls which "normal" bookshelf speakers lack. And, of course, the active versions don't a require receiver or amplifier. Check out the Behringer website for more info on these.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Behringer is a very well known brand, but more so to music professionals than home users. There is no downside to this type of speaker for use with a computer as source. On the contrary: they have the advantage of good high & low frequency and room compensation controls which "normal" bookshelf speakers lack. And, of course, the active versions don't a require receiver or amplifier. Check out the Behringer website for more info on these.
    And do these have good bass? I read some reviews and they said that the bass was weak without a seperate subwoofer, but i know that audio reviews especially are very relative to what you have listened to prior.

Forum Regular
    I was reading more on their website, and on other websites, and it seems like they are a primarily a speaker for musicians who are recording music, would these be ok if I planned on using them for just playing already recorded mp3's?

I was reading more on their website, and on other websites, and it seems like they are a primarily a speaker for musicians who are recording music, would these be ok if I planned on using them for just playing already recorded mp3's?
    Yeah they should be fine for your needs

I would look for some infinity beta 50's floor standers or the infinity primus 360s or 362's.
    These are good budget floor standers and will have bass in the 35Hz range.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Geez!!

And do these have good bass? I read some reviews and they said that the bass was weak without a seperate subwoofer, but i know that audio reviews especially are very relative to what you have listened to prior.
    Now for $450 you want a subwoofer too?? The Behringers will give you flat response to 50Hz and will play loud -- you'll note they have 8.75" woofers. There are no cheap subwoofers that will give you reasonable bass much lower than 45Hz. You will be better off buying half-decent main speakers than crappy mains + a crappy sub.

Yes, the Behringers are marketed to musicians and music pros: that doesn't mean they won't work for hi-fi use. Their built-in controls permit high and low frequency tuning and also -- this is important -- tuning for proximity to walls or corners: this is a feature that could and should be built-in to many "audiophile" speakers, but isn't.
    Last edited by Feanor; 05-16-2008 at 12:29 PM.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Yes! Nice information that you have shared with us.

Thank you very much!

Thread Information