Thread: Magnepan MG1

Forum Regular

Magnepan MG1

Hi all. In case any of you have or have had a pair of these... I have a guy selling a very nice pair for $100. It's an hour drive to pick them up.

My guess is that it's well worth the trip. I don't have a lot of super powerful equipment.

Would a Marantz 2275 do the job? I also have a Rotel RB 870 (100 watts RMS).

Apart from that it's smaller stuff and a Creek 4140s2.

I really don't have the scratch to buy an amp for these, but if I can drive them with one of these amps, I might have to go grab them.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Well worth it & more

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle
    Hi all. In case any of you have or have had a pair of these... I have a guy selling a very nice pair for $100. It's an hour drive to pick them up.

My guess is that it's well worth the trip. I don't have a lot of super powerful equipment.

Would a Marantz 2275 do the job? I also have a Rotel RB 870 (100 watts RMS).

Apart from that it's smaller stuff and a Creek 4140s2.

I really don't have the scratch to buy an amp for these, but if I can drive them with one of these amps, I might have to go grab them.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Assuming they're working, the MG1 are well worth $100 despite being an old, old model. Either the Marantz or Rotel should work at moderate volumes, though you might want to check that they are rated for 4 ohms. (I have driven my MG 1.6QR's with a Marantz 2252 at moderate volumes and all seemed well.)

Remember that all Magneplanar need to be located 2.5+ from the wall behind them; this is the nature of their dipolar design.

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar
    Be sure and listen before you buy.

Make sure that these have the sound that you want.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

70 wpc

should be enough to do the job. i almost bought a pair of ones but got rogers LS3/5As instead. now i have MMGs driven with 200wpc (big room).

its likely that you will stay with maggies for a long time. if you decide to upgrade, the mg1s will do nicely as rear surrounds. surrounded by maggies is a pretty good idea for the envelopment that would result.

the hsu subs mate nicely with the mags.
    ...regards...tr

Thread Information