Forum Regular

Smile Receiver for Totem Rainmakers

Hi!

First of, let me admit that I'm an absolute beginner in the world of hi-fi audio, but neverthless have been a music-enthusiast for a long time. I recently stumbled upon the Totem Rainmakers and was blown away by their performance, given that they're relatively small speakers. I have decided to go for a pair of used Rainmakers as and when they're available.

I was wondering if a receiver like the Denon 1708 / Onkyo 605 / Denon 397CI would do justice to these speakers. As you can see, my the funds I can devote to this interest of mine are limited. It would be great if you have any other recommendations apart from the ones mentioned.

Thanks a ton!!!

if you're looking for a receiver, I would perhaps recommend the 640R by Cambridge Audio.

I like the Onkyo 605 out of that group.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    There are several pairs of Rainmakers on Audiogon right now. They range in price from $425 to $625. I would go with the Onkyo for now and save for a nice 2 channel amp to really make them come alive.

Forum Regular

Smile Denons more versatile with music?

Thanks for the responses. Truly appreciate it!

One more question - I was told by one audio equipment salesman that Denons can handle music of a wider variety compared to the Onkyos - how true has this been in your experience? Given that my use is going to be 80% music .....

Quote Originally Posted by wy2be
    Thanks for the responses. Truly appreciate it!

One more question - I was told by one audio equipment salesman that Denons can handle music of a wider variety compared to the Onkyos
    Stay far, far away from that raving idiot. Sounds like he was selling used cars the week before he started selling audio gear.

I second that. Your salesmans and idiot! The Onkyo's have better power transformers than the Denon's until you get into the 3000 series Denons which use Torroidal power transformers. The Onkyo 605 is a nice receiver with high current and good power.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Stay far, far away from that raving idiot. Sounds like he was selling used cars the week before he started selling audio gear.
    I see N. Abstentia hasn't lost his penchant for brutal honesty...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wy2be
    Hi!

First of, let me admit that I'm an absolute beginner in the world of hi-fi audio, but neverthless have been a music-enthusiast for a long time. I recently stumbled upon the Totem Rainmakers and was blown away by their performance, given that they're relatively small speakers. I have decided to go for a pair of used Rainmakers as and when they're available.

I was wondering if a receiver like the Denon 1708 / Onkyo 605 / Denon 397CI would do justice to these speakers. As you can see, my the funds I can devote to this interest of mine are limited. It would be great if you have any other recommendations apart from the ones mentioned.

Thanks a ton!!!
    Totem Rainmakers stand out in a catagory that has some very fine competition. They are one of my favorite speakers! The one problem (if you could call it that) is that Rainmakers, or any Totem speaker for that matter, really want, no NEED, a LOT of current from an amp. Many receivers regardless of the wattage rating, are challenged when it comes to delivering current when asked to. Hook your Rainmakers up to a reciever that can't deliver the current they want and you will not get the sound that "blew you away".

So, my Reccomendations regarding Rainmakers are that you either get a quality receiver (think $1000+ range) that can deliver decent current into a 4 ohm load, or get a middling reciever, and a seperate power amp. You can get a really good used power amp in the $350-$500 range. My favorite bargain used high power amp would be an Adcom 555. You can usually get these for about $350;

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1214324123

However if you can spend a few more $$$, you can get into an "A" quality amp,

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1215369399

You WILL hear the difference in these amps with the Raimnmakers. Either of them will smoke any reciever you could buy!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

I believe the 640R which I mentioned could deliver the goods as far as current goes. It's said to sound better than any other receiver in the price range.

If your on a very tight budget and dont mind going 2ch, the Harmon Kardon 3485 receiver puts out 45 amps of peak current and 120wpc 8ohm and 150wpc 4ohm and can be found for about $250 on sale.

If you decide to go the separate amp route, other amps to consider are the B&K reference 125.2 and parasound 2125. Both are high current high power budget power amps.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

2nd those recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Totem Rainmakers stand out in a catagory that has some very fine competition. They are one of my favorite speakers! The one problem (if you could call it that) is that Rainmakers, or any Totem speaker for that matter, really want, no NEED, a LOT of current from an amp. Many receivers regardless of the wattage rating, are challenged when it comes to delivering current when asked to. Hook your Rainmakers up to a reciever that can't deliver the current they want and you will not get the sound that "blew you away".

So, my Reccomendations regarding Rainmakers are that you either get a quality receiver (think $1000+ range) that can deliver decent current into a 4 ohm load, or get a middling reciever, and a seperate power amp. You can get a really good used power amp in the $350-$500 range. My favorite bargain used high power amp would be an Adcom 555. You can usually get these for about $350;

You WILL hear the difference in these amps with the Raimnmakers. Either of them will smoke any reciever you could buy!
    Geoff, nice to hear from you -- haven't it a while, it seems.

wy2be, yes, you will hear a difference (improvement) with either Geoffcin's suggested amps versus any <$1000 receiver and many costing a good deal more.

I owned an Adcom GFA 555Il for a while and it was very nice sounding amp with gobs of power; used copies at <$400 are a huge bargain.

Forum Regular

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin

Wow. Thanks - this was something I was looking for. Thanks Geoffcin. That was very useful.

Yes, my budget currently is a bit constrained and that means I will not jump into buying the Rainmakers immediately - they'll remain on my must-own wish-list though. It doesn't make sense to be running superb speakers with average equipment.

In that case, I'm compelled to think of lower-end speakers as a stop-gap arrangement. I heard the Totem Mites and for their size they were supremely impressive. Also, has anyone also heard the Ed Frias modified BIC DV-62si. I'm not attempting to compare them with the Rainmakers - it would be a stretch?!?

But how do you compare the sounds of the Mites and the EFE-modified BICs - I apologize if that's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far.

Thread Information