Opinions on the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable?

I think someone mentioned them in the Analog room but I don't recall anyone here posting anything. I have an opportunity to buy one second-hand for $200, and it's basically new as the first buyer returned it almost immediately after purchase. I know they go for over $300 new and this appears to be a decent deal, but I was wondering if anyone here owns one or knows much about them. This one is gloss black, which is exactly the color I would prefer since most of my HT equipment is black, save the Panasonic DVD player.

Thanks in advance.

Swish Baby
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

It appears to be the same thing as my 1.2 'cept for the cart. it comes with and the choice of colors (mine is black too). You most likely will not be able to use your existing cart. since I believe most of those old Japanese direct drive models use a P-Mount.

I never had anything better to compare it to but I like mine just fine. Took me about 5 minutes to set VTA and anti-skate and haven't had to mess with set-up since (going on 10 years now).
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

No, my Technics is not a p-mount, so my Shure can...

Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    It appears to be the same thing as my 1.2 'cept for the cart. it comes with and the choice of colors (mine is black too). You most likely will not be able to use your existing cart. since I believe most of those old Japanese direct drive models use a P-Mount.

I never had anything better to compare it to but I like mine just fine. Took me about 5 minutes to set VTA and anti-skate and haven't had to mess with set-up since (going on 10 years now).
    ...still be used, although the Pro-ject comes with an Ortofon OM 5E cart, so I'll be able to use whichever I prefer.

I haven't made up my mind, but it sounds like a nice deal and a good table.

Thanks,
    Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

I doubt you'll do much better for the money. I guess this is considered an entry-level table in audiophileland. As much as I like spinning LPs I've never been tempted to upgrade. Enough said

NP:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I've had the 1.2 for maybe 6 or 7 years now. It only recently started sharing duty with a Technics 1210 MkII (musicians friend ran a special not long ago knocking off about $40 from its reg price of $399). The Technics does a better job with bass, but the 1.2 seems to be better at portraying voices and solo instruments. I'd rather listen to small jazz combos and records like Cat Power's The Greatest on the Pro-Ject, but I like most of my rock albums on the Technics.

IMO, $200 for a practically new Debut III is a good deal and beats rolling the dice on something that may be "better" but older on eBay.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Sounds like a sweet deal. Years ago I had a Thorens 290 table and it had that arm. The arm is very good for the money and much better than that table had in the past. You can also upgrade the stylus for the Ortofon 5SE. The body does not have some of the electrical improvements of the higher end Ortofons but it will accept a better stylus saving you the hassles of mounting a new one. Unless you enjoy mounting cartridges. I would say go for it.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Gab
    Forum Regular
    Pro-Ject is Great turntable (unless you have listened to their best ones rpm 10)
    Make sure you have a phono, some project 3 dont have it integrated and it cost around 200 $, not using a phono even if you can hear it is a crime, phone smooth the cracles and makes your lps sound live.

Belive me you will put in trash can your cd player !

Happy listening !

Well, I've heard a number of great sound LPs in the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Gab
    Pro-Ject is Great turntable (unless you have listened to their best ones rpm 10)
    Make sure you have a phono, some project 3 dont have it integrated and it cost around 200 $, not using a phono even if you can hear it is a crime, phone smooth the cracles and makes your lps sound live.

Belive me you will put in trash can your cd player !

Happy listening !
    ...so I know how sweet a good setup can sound. A buddy recently played "Get Together' by the Youngbloods, and Jesse Colin Young's voice sounded incredible, as did the instruments. He has a fairly expensive rig but it was worth it if you ask me. My HT room is pretty sweet as well, so coming back to vinyl will only enhance things for me. As for dumping the cds? Never going to happen. Too many of them (3000 or so I think) and too many good ones, plus the convenience.

Regards,
    Swish

Thread Information