Suspended

Audioslave, Velvet Revolver = Hybrid Failure?

Truthfully, I'm not real sad to see the bands split up. Of the two, I think Audioslave created a stronger identity than VR, simply because of Chris Cornell's phenominal songwriting ability and the ability of the Rage members to put great guitar work behind it. Don't know if Rage will reform but if they don't it'd be a great waste of a talented Tom Morello. Slash says VR will continue which gives me the impression that Axel is still on his sh!t list which is okay by me, and it should be interesting to see who they sign.

But it looks to me like Chris is the one who comes out on the short end of the stick. His brief solo career pretty much bombed even though he's had one song nominated for a grammy FWIW, and these days it seems like all he's doing is writing songs for movies. If Soundgarden got back to together, STP hung on, and the right front man with the ability to tolerate Slash joined VR, all would be right in my world again. I wasn't a real big fan of Rage Against the Machine, although I like some of Zack de la Rocha's stuff, but Tom really needs to get his face out there again because he's a real talent IMO.

Suspended
    I'm the opposite, I like Rage quite a bit but don't really care much for AS. I like a couple of their songs. Same with VR, I liked a couple songs but not enough to buy the album. I believe if either of these bands started out and had "no name" members, no one would be talking about them now. Part of it is I'm not a big fan of Chris's vocal style. That whole whining, groaning Grunge style rakes my nerves. And several of the newer bands seems to copy it.

Its rare that super groups ever last beyond two or three albums (yes, there are exceptions). Its rare that super groups ever achieve the success of their root bands either. Mergers like this consist of people who have experienced fame and success on their own terms and find doing things differently hard to take, given the egos involved.

Its not likely that any of that alternative rock/grunge sound will ever be super popular again, and Cornell's voice is inexorably linked to the Seattle sound of the early '90s.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I could tolerate Audioslave, VR didn't do a thing a for me. I'm glad both have gone away because the original bands RATM and STP were so much better.

When I think grunge/alternative vocals Cornell's is a rare exception to the genre norm. Everyone else was sort of singing that dirty cowboy growl style Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP and all the spinoffs stuck to. So if anyone could find a 2nd life, I guess it'd be him. Not my favorite vocalist though.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Its rare that super groups ever last beyond two or three albums (yes, there are exceptions). Its rare that super groups ever achieve the success of their root bands either. Mergers like this consist of people who have experienced fame and success on their own terms and find doing things differently hard to take, given the egos involved.

Its not likely that any of that alternative rock/grunge sound will ever be super popular again, and Cornell's voice is inexorably linked to the Seattle sound of the early '90s.

My understanding of "super groups" is that they're the bands like Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones...etc who have released many many albums over many years. When I say hybrid I'm talking about well established bands like STP, GnR, and to a lesser extent, RATM actually swapping one key member out and swapping another one in. I don't recall that ever happening before. Sure, there were bands that replaced the drummer or the bass player and whatnot, but not the front man. Maybe I'm wrong.

Truthfully I don't own any of these bands CD's, but I've downloaded a lot of Audioslave's material and a couple of weeks ago I watched a VR concert on either HDNET or MHD, forget which but it was a good show. Ironic though was that, during one of the interviews intertwined with the concert, Slash and Scott were talking about how Scott has gotten clean and felt that with help from the band members he could stay that way and help contribute to their success. About two days later I found out he left VR. Now he's touring with STP. IMO Scott is a very talented performer but I suspect it's to much to hope he does stay clean. BTW, Wikipedia calls VR a "Hard Rock supergroup".

In Chris Cornell's defense, he's not really my favorite vocalist either, but you can't deny that he's an outstanding lyricist. So many songs with such lyrics that it's hard to list them all. And he did a lot to bring that punk/metal sound to the forefront. My kind of music.

Suspended
    Stones and Rush are not "super groups". A "super group" is one that is formed from accomplished musicians from other bands. I wish I could think of a good example right now. As some one mentioned these "super groups" don't usually stay around long. I think Asia was one of these. Return To Forever was, with Stanley Clarke, Al Dimeola and Chick Corea. All of these guys have their own successful career but formed a band, a "super group". I don't know if they called Blind Faith a super group but looking back they meet the criteria.

So what you are saying is you aren't really an Audioslave and VR fan boy, you just play one online If you had bought the album instead of "ripping" it off, Audioslave may still be around. It's all your fault and now Chris is feeling Minnesota.

Scott was in and out of rehab so much during the time with VR I'm surprised STP took a chance with him. On the other hand they weren't much without him.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Stones and Rush are not "super groups". A "super group" is one that is formed from accomplished musicians from other bands. I wish I could think of a good example right now. As some one mentioned these "super groups" don't usually stay around long. I think Asia was one of these. Return To Forever was, with Stanley Clarke, Al Dimeola and Chick Corea. All of these guys have their own successful career but formed a band, a "super group". I don't know if they called Blind Faith a super group but looking back they meet the criteria.
    Funny, I was going to mention Derek & the Dominoes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P.
    So what you are saying is you aren't really an Audioslave and VR fan boy, you just play one online If you had bought the album instead of "ripping" it off, Audioslave may still be around. It's all your fault and now Chris is feeling Minnesota.
    Well, not exactly. I liked a LOT of Audioslave's stuff and I purchased through iTunes but ya know: "the grass is greener where the dogs are shedding"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. P.
    Scott was in and out of rehab so much during the time with VR I'm surprised STP took a chance with him. On the other hand they weren't much without him.
    STP's coming to Dallas at the end of June, but there's no chance I'll be buying tickets this far in advance.

Thread Information