AR Newbie Registered Member

Radio Shk Mach One's

Hi.....I'm new to this post. Perhaps someone can lend me a hand. Have a pair of RS Mach One speakers, and one if the 15" sub woofers is cracked with age (1983). Radio Shack no longer supports replacement woofers for this speaker, and I'd like to know where I can find a good, suitable replacement. Any help????

PDN
    Forum Regular
    Velodyne and REL are dedicated powered sub-woofer manufacturers. I believe you can buy REL at Best Buy and Circuit City.

Two responses in one post

Quote Originally Posted by PDN
    Velodyne and REL are dedicated powered sub-woofer manufacturers. I believe you can buy REL at Best Buy and Circuit City.
    Bad advice. He doesn't have a subwoofer, just a big ole woofer. There's a considerable difference between woofers and SUBwoofers.

If we're offering advice, we should be able to use our experience to try to determine what he's really asking before jumping in with the answers. We're supposed to be the ones with experience and should know better.

Now, for the OP, first off, as you might have picked up on already, you have a big woofer, not a subwoofer. A subwoofer only works below where your main speakers stops, generally around 80, maybe 100 hz or so. Your woofer goes up to somewhere around 300 hz or higher.

If you were to put a subwoofer in there it would be missing a whole lotta notes between where the subwoofer stopped working and your midrange starts in. to put it simply, it would not sound good.

Second, when you say "cracked with age", are you referring to the whole speaker or just the part on the outside of the speaker, between the paper cone and the metal frame?

If it's just the the outside (or surround) they can be "refoamed" fairly reasonably. There are many places that will either do this for you or sell you a kit so you can do it yourself.

This is one that does good work. http://www.newfoam.com I'm sure there are others as well but this one I'm familiar with.
    Last edited by markw; 04-30-2008 at 02:02 PM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Bad advice. He doesn't have a subwoofer, just a big ole woofer. There's a considerable difference between woofers and SUBwoofers.
    ouch! Stop that!

If we're offering advice, we should be able to use our experience to try to determine what he's really asking before jumping in with the answers. We're supposed to be the ones with experience and should know better.
    That hurt dang it.

Now, for the OP, first off, as you might have picked up on already, you have a big woofer, not a subwoofer. A subwoofer only works below where your main speakers stops, generally around 80, maybe 100 hz or so. Your woofer goes up to somewhere around 300 hz or higher.
    Actually the roll off starts at 500hz, and is minus 5-6db's are 800hz

If you were to put a subwoofer in there it would be missing a whole lotta notes between where the subwoofer stopped working and your midrange starts in. to put it simply, it would not sound good.
    Correct, unless he wanted to convert the little son of guns to subwoofers, in that case, a sub driver would work just fine. But that is another story.

Second, when you say "cracked with age", are you referring to the whole speaker or just the part on the outside of the speaker, between the paper cone and the metal frame?
    He is referring to the surrounds, which on this speaker was a pretty common phenom.

If it's just the the outside (or surround) they can be "refoamed" fairly reasonably. There are many places that will either do this for you or sell you a kit so you can do it yourself.

This is one that does good work. http://www.newfoam.com I'm sure there are others as well but this one I'm familiar with.
    I would recommend that he have it done for by a professional. These speakers have a pretty long stroke at deep bass frequencies, and can move a whole lot of air. So a poor refoaming job would pretty much put him back at square one. Sir T has a very long history with these speakers, and I will tell you about it some day over beer and soda crackers. LOL
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs