Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar

How many RR comps do you have?

Holy Crap! I started packing up some of my CD collection. So far, I've packed 3 12"x12" boxes just with comps and CDRs from RR. Some of them are in slim jewel cases, but most are just in envelopes. I think that I'm going to have to find a better (read: less space consuming) filing system before I unpack them.

Thanks for all the cool stuff you guys!

I'm going to have buy more boxes.

Oh, and BTW, I found CRSv10. But didn't see any 11 in the stack.

Too many to count, although I should.

I have to rather large cabinets filled with cds to the point where I can't add any more. I think I'm going to clean out some stuff that I never listen to (I would bet I have a couple hundred in that category) and get rid of 'em, and maybe box some others. Then again, they still make the cabinets I have, so maybe I add one more.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Suspended
    At least 100 but I have not counted lately. Many get regular spin time still.

Several notebook binders full. Still play a lot of them especially when I want to hear something but can't really figure out just what.

Some faves:
    The 80's series we did so many years ago
    The series when we each took a year and made a comp of tunes from that year
    The Sounds Good! comps
    Some goth/darker music stuff from Chip
    Punk Rock comps from J and Nobody
    Mike's Yello comp not to mention his Monaco and Electronic (the band) comps
    man, I can keep going for a while, I"ve got some great shiite in those binders

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

I'd guess conservatively that I have 200 or so. I also still listen to many of them occasionally. The alt-country ones still get spins and many others from time to time.
    And the world will turn to flowing pink vapor stew.

a few...not many people ever sent me much in the way of comps.

Whenever I'd ask they'd PM me and make some statement suggesting caninal ancestory, then tell me to sod off.

That's awful! I promise to send you all my Finchy comps...

Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    a few...not many people ever sent me much in the way of comps.

Whenever I'd ask they'd PM me and make some statement suggesting caninal ancestory, then tell me to sod off.

...and they'll be originals too, not copies.

Swish aka troublemaker
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Rae
    I definitely have more than I can keep track of with any competence. I mostly stopped asking for them after a few years but the ones that I do have do still get regular play. Darius' Building on Fire and Not Music, many Davey comps (and the Decade of Alt-Country that he curated), Stone's seasonal offerings, Jar's indie genre primers, BradH's obscurities, cornelius' Son House to Swans, J's punk stuff... I think I have the two (three?) original RR group comps plus the CRS comps up to 8...? Or do those numbering systems overlap?

~Rae

Lots & lots & lots!
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    At least 100 but I have not counted lately. Many get regular spin time still.
    Edit:

I have over 100 just from Timemasheen, Chip, Try and Demetrio. Then there is at least another 100 or so from everyone else.

Just spun Rockin' The Rodeo (Blue Rodeo)
    Aslo always in rotation:

Progressive Pastiche
    Razz Comps
    Plageristic Pastiche
    9 Pair
    Winter Fades
    Imaginary Bowie
    several of Finchies including the Tribal Tech
    All of the Classic Comp Series we did a few years back
    All the Xmas comps (but not all year)
    Prog Covers
    Progressive Samplers - Demetrio
    Blues Deluxe
    Too many to list, glad to have them all....

I still listen to Demetrio's comps quite a bit too. He put together some great stuff.

Red face Absurd ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Holy Crap! I started packing up some of my CD collection. So far, I've packed 3 12"x12" boxes just with comps and CDRs from RR. Some of them are in slim jewel cases, but most are just in envelopes. I think that I'm going to have to find a better (read: less space consuming) filing system before I unpack them.

Oh, and BTW, I found CRSv10. But didn't see any 11 in the stack.
    What's an "RR comp"?

I guess I don't have any.

Rae
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Ex-Lion Tamer's Wire comp, also one of my most played.

~Rae

Thread crapping...sorry FA.

What's Barry up to lately? Been a long time since I've seen him post and I miss his presence. Stumbled across an old word doc. with a bunch of RR addresses on it and the memories just kind of went back to the good old days. So many names, so many good people on that list.

Tell him Jim Clark says "hey" next time you two visit.

Thanks,
    jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    What's Barry up to lately? jc
    About 6' 2". 6' 5" if he's on skates.

Barry's alive and well and probably listening to some prog as I type this. I don't know why he doesn't come around here anymore. I suspect that he's just too busy. Work and his two girls keep him on his toes.

I'll be seeing him next Saturday as we have tickets to see Rik Emmett play. But I'll be talking to him before then and I'll pass along the kind thoughts. Thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    About 6' 2". 6' 5" if he's on skates.

Barry's alive and well and probably listening to some prog as I type this. I don't know why he doesn't come around here anymore. I suspect that he's just too busy. Work and his two girls keep him on his toes.

I'll be seeing him next Saturday as we have tickets to see Rik Emmett play. But I'll be talking to him before then and I'll pass along the kind thoughts. Thanks for asking.
    I understand. Between work and the two boys I don't have nearly have as much time either. Miss my old life and am thinking seriously about going back to it : ) Gotta have some time to listen to music, guess Barry has his priorities in order. Thanks for the update.

jc

Priorities Out Of Order

I understand. Between work and the two boys I don't have nearly have as much time either. Miss my old life and am thinking seriously about going back to it : ) Gotta have some time to listen to music, guess Barry has his priorities in order. Thanks for the update.

jc
    Priorities in order? No way.

Visiting this review was a habit of mine until for some reason my mac wouldn't load it. That problem's gone away, but I've lost the habit. That plus when I logon, it seems that nothing of interest happens for weeks.

Also, I haven't been buying much new music, so the interest in hearing about what's new has subsided.

Anyway, thanks for inquiring. I'm alive and well and will try to visit more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    What's an "RR comp"?

Yeh, What IS an RR comp?
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

Quote Originally Posted by BarryL
    Priorities in order? No way.

Visiting this review was a habit of mine until for some reason my mac wouldn't load it. That problem's gone away, but I've lost the habit. That plus when I logon, it seems that nothing of interest happens for weeks.

Also, I haven't been buying much new music, so the interest in hearing about what's new has subsided.

Anyway, thanks for inquiring. I'm alive and well and will try to visit more often.
    Ask and you will receive. If I'd have known it was that easy I would have asked a long time ago. There's lots of folks I would like back. Someday I'll make a list for a where are they now? thread.

I understand about not buying much new music. I keep thinking I need to cut back too but I'm just so afraid that I'm gonna miss something great. I'm running out of storage space, plus there's so much great stuff there that I just don't get around to near as much as I should. Finally pulled out Strummer's Streetcore after it sat in a box way too long. Too good an album to not listen to. Wish I had a solution.

Great to hear you are doing good, it's nice to see you around.

jc

Quote Originally Posted by Brett A
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    What's an "RR comp"?
    Yeh, What IS an RR comp?
    Many years ago, we used to do a bunch of compilation making and trading around here, back in the days when it was an active site. At one point we even had a separate comp4trade site up, listing people and their comps that were up for trade. I'll upload it so you can check it out if you want.

Dead but not [totally] forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brett A
    Yeh, What IS an RR comp?
    Excellent question.

Short for Rave Rec Compilation.

Many moons ago we were really big into the whole music sharing thing. Not MP3's but compilations (comps) that we made and mailed off to whomever on the board requested on. Something of a vain attempt to foist our questionable musical tastes on to fellow board members (or whomever happened to be visiting the board that day.)

Occasionally we'd make a group effort around a common theme (Halloween, New Music, Well recorded music...) We'd send in our track to a "compiler" who would sort it all out and sequence it, and then turn around and send the finished copy off to all who contributed and those who requested a copy.

All in all it was an awesome way to pick up on new bands, bands you may have missed, or music you just didn't even know was still being made. Tons of great stuff and tons of stuff that missed the mark since we all have our own peculiar tastes. Personally I thought it was great fun. Others thought it created a cliquish atmosphere. I dunno, I loved it and still have every single one ever sent to me. Even whatshisnames "Pass the Afrosheen". Never could listen to it all the way through, but I still have it.

jc

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Many years ago, we used to do a bunch of compilation making and trading around here, back in the days when it was an active site. At one point we even had a separate comp4trade site up, listing people and their comps that were up for trade. I'll upload it so you can check it out if you want.

Dead but not [totally] forgotten
    Well yeah, if you want to go with the abbreviated version : )

jc

Well yeah, if you want to go with the abbreviated version : )

jc
    And I should mention that JC became the resident html guru for awhile when he took over responsibilities for the comp4trade site and did a fine job, along with giving us all an insight into what a modern Heartland family looks like.

you probably think there's a joke coming, but there's not

Suspended
    Even whatshisnames "Pass the Afrosheen". Never could listen to it all the way through, but I still have it.

jc
    That is too funny. I still have that along with his Last Waltz which he deemed to be his last comp ever. Hmm....he still makes em for Finch.

I still have the several hundred sent to me and enjoy the majority of them. My favorites were the Classic Samplers we all did as well as the ones where we all picked a year and comped songs released in that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    That is too funny. I still have that along with his Last Waltz which he deemed to be his last comp ever. Hmm....he still makes em for Finch.

I still have the several hundred sent to me and enjoy the majority of them. My favorites were the Classic Samplers we all did as well as the ones where we all picked a year and comped songs released in that year.
    I agree, those year in review comps were freaking awesome. Everyone did such a marvelous job with their year(s). It was an educational process too. Made me feel a bit old at times but all said and done, well worth the time. Bound to become a collector's item.

jc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information