Thread: Cerwin Vega 15"

AR Newbie Registered Member

Cerwin Vega 15"

Ok, I don't know too much about speakers, subs, or anything. All I know that since I've been a kid, these speakers have been my dad's pride and joy. Every time we have a party he busts these puppies out and rattles our house.

The other day I decided to have a party while my dad was away. In a slightly "influence" state, I was showing off the subs to a friend and I put my hand on the sub while it was thumpin'. To my horror, the sub all the sudden started making a very raspy sound. The next day I took a flash light and examined the sub. My friend said that I probably cracked it.

Upon further investigation I found out that the center of the sub with the Cerwin Vega! emblem was messed up a little bit. I tried outlining the area in Photoshop. There's no cracks, but it's almost like the lining where the middle emblem material connects to the ribbed part of the sub flexes. It barely moves and the sister sub we have doesn't do that, so I'm assuming that's what the problem is.

Pretty much my problem is this: as I've said, these are like my dad's pride and joy. I don't have a steady job right now, but I might be getting one in the future. Is there anyway to fix this sub without doing more damage? The picture literally shows everything, I took a bunch but there's nothing like noticeable about what the problem is. You'd have to hear it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advanced

Does the cone still move in and out? It looks like it's locked up in the 'out' position....in other words she ain't moving which means a burned voice coil. Time to replace that speaker, you toasted it. That raspy sound is the now burned voice coil trying to move.

Were you touching it when it happened?

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Why not e-mail Cerwin Vega directly with your story and photos. They might be good guys and have the definitive answer and be able to help you out.

Service@Cerwin-Vega.com

Mutant from table 9
    Remember the episode of Leave It To Beaver when the Beav and Larry Mondello were playing with Ward's golf clubs when they were specifically told not to. They broke the head off a driver and went through all kinds of high jinks to get it fixed only to find out that Ward had actually broken the driver previously and just had not gotten it fixed yet.

This is like that... only stupider. Carpeted speaker boxes fail at a teenage kegger while you paw the cones. Gee I wonder why? You blew the voice coil. It's cooked. Just tell your dad and in the future don't screw that which isn't yours.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Xristos
    My friend said that I probably cracked it.
    MIT, right?

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Thread Information