Forum Regular

Holco resistor burn in time

Hi,
    I have put in a couple of holco resistors in a valve pre amp near the volume pot replacing cheap resistors. It sounds bright and a bit harsh - does that change with burn in time - if so how many hours burn in is needed and how does the sound change. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Steve.

Suspended
    A quick google search found comments the "new" Holcos sound brighter than previous. The new design uses steel end-caps (magnetic) instead of copper. Since these are precision components (1% tolerence), I doubt they'll change much during burn-in. Many components go through a burn-in proccess prior to shipping. Did you compare the resistences of the components (old and new resistors)? This difference may be what you're hearing.

Run a CD on "repeat", turn off the main amplifier. Now let it play and wait 2 days (48 hours) if you hear an improvement add more time. Some parts take a 100 hours to settle in, for many I've heard, the symptom is excessive brightness.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Forum Regular
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It has improved on burn in (20 Hrs). No I didnt compare with other resistors as I read some reviews on the net that strongly suggested Holcos. It is now more natural sounding lost the harshness.

Regards,

Steve.

Thread Information