In all my years of buying CDs...

...this is easily the most mind-boggling thing that has ever happened, and I've bought thousands of discs since they first came out (the Pretenders debut disc was my first- I took it back because it sounded like sh!t). But I digress.

Yesterday, I bought the new live Umphrey's McGee disc and took it home where I could wrestle with the plastic wrap and the stupid bar code sticker that every new CD comes with. You know how hard those stickers are to get off- you attack it with your fingernail, chipping away at a corner and finally you lift up enough to be able to grab a piece & start to tear it off. But of course, that doesn't last long- only a small part of the sticker comes off, and you have to start all over. Pick pick pick, pull, peel off another section, start again. Finally, after 2.6 beers, you've finally gotten enough of the sticker off so that you'll be able to open the case. Oops! There's just enough of the sticker left so that you can't open the case. Pick pick pick. By now, it's time for bed, but you would just like to get the damn thing off so you're not stewing about it as you lay awake. Am I right?

Well, as you can see by the picture, I was able to get the whole sticker off in one motion. This has never happened to me, and I doubt it will ever happen again. I took a picture because I knew you'd never believe me unless I did.

I lay in bed last night after it happened, and I felt like I needed a cigarette.

Amazing, huh?

fp

Try undoing the front part of the jewel case at the bottom, carefully so none of the flimsier part of the plastic breaks. Once you've got that undone, pull the front, tilt it up from the bottom & you can use it as leverage to get the sticker off the rest of the case, then it's a lot easier to get off the front.

And I'll have the beer.

I don't like others.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    So how empty is that swag drawer, Finchy?

I've actually had those come off in one piece a couple of times, but its like finding a four-leaf clover though. Most of the time my experience mirrors yours, and while driving! (minus the beer of course)

Here's a video (not mine) of what Haywire was explaining in post #2. It can be done more quickly...
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/355279...open_a_new_cd/

I learned this from the ultra-hip guys working at my local used CD shop (they'll open new stuff for you to listen to. Talk about service, aye?)
    Amp Shanling A3000-> speakers Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand CD Rotel RCD 991 AE TT: Well Tempered Record Player-> AT OC9MLII -> Jolida JD9. cables from AQ, Siltech, Bogdan, Signal DH Labs, etc...
    Some pictures of it all

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    How many jewel case tabs is Finchy gonna break off trying to do that?

I was just going to chime in with that advice J.

Quote Originally Posted by MindGoneHaywire
    Try undoing the front part of the jewel case at the bottom, carefully so none of the flimsier part of the plastic breaks. Once you've got that undone, pull the front, tilt it up from the bottom & you can use it as leverage to get the sticker off the rest of the case, then it's a lot easier to get off the front.

And I'll have the beer.
    I learned it from a guy in a music store a number of years ago, and it works very well. I have broken a couple of those little plastic dowels in the process, but have been pretty much 100% for a long time. Works like a charm if you take your time.

I also have the best remedy ever for the hiccups. Gets rid of them in seconds and works every time. Really.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett A
    Here's a video (not mine) of what Haywire was explaining in post #2. It can be done more quickly...
    But try doing that in yer car...while driving.

There are tools for this purpose ya know!

Fyi, I don't own this, plus there are cheaper devices out there (search Amazon). But this one got good reviews:

http://www.cdconnection.com/details/...ource=googbase

Quote Originally Posted by newtrix1
    Fyi, I don't own this, plus there are cheaper devices out there (search Amazon). But this one got good reviews:

http://www.cdconnection.com/details/...ource=googbase
    For half that dollar amount I've gotten some good mileage out of the following device:
    http://www.mycountryhomeplace.com/product/R103

Of course, if you were a "real audiophile" you wouldn't even consider using less than this gem: http://www.kitchenknifedrawer.com/product/ALAM-SC2

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    For half that dollar amount I've gotten some good mileage out of the following device:
    http://www.mycountryhomeplace.com/product/R103

Of course, if you were a "real audiophile" you wouldn't even consider using less than this gem: http://www.kitchenknifedrawer.com/product/ALAM-SC2
    Finch isn't allowed to handle sharp objects. Do you have any hints on how to open CD packaging with a spoon?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    Finch isn't allowed to handle sharp objects. Do you have any hints on how to open CD packaging with a spoon?

He could sharpen it against the bars.

Thread Information