audio site ???....goodbye

I recently joined this forum, with great excitement, to learn about and discuss MUSIC, AUDIO GEAR and technology. I thought I would be conversing with like minded, focused and helpful folks.

Sadly, I find a bunch of drama queens arguing about politics, people getting assaulted, insults, ranting and general poor attitude (my humble opinion). When a thread starts out with an audio topic it always seems to migrate, quickly, to a silly argument about whos’ schwartz is bigger and qualifies as a real audiophile….enough!

My last post is simply to ask what forums are out there that actually have adults talking about real audio. This is a serious question and only serious people need reply…goodbye and be well….kunk
    be well...and learn each day

kunk

I have been to many forums and have found that the same exists everywhere. There are always some people who are helpful and some who just like to fight.
    Sorry if you have seen us at our worse. We do have some very good people here though. Give them a chance to shine.

Oh, Here are a few other sites.

http://av123forum.com/index.php
    http://www.audioholics.com/
    http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/viewforum.php?f=1
    http://www.bigscreenforums.com/
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...earchid=471081
    http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/
    http://www.avsforum.com/

Happy hunting.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

also check www.audiokarma.org

I'm sorry though, that it went this way. You have indeed seen us at our worst.

We discuss audio, too, check other threads. It's just that some people here (ie Melvin) just haven't found their way to the offtopic boards and the steel cage.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    The last link on GMichaels list is the one I'd recommend. Most threads there stay on topic and usually average 2000 posts, some dating back to 2003. Good luck.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Yeah, we haven't been at our best lately. Frankly I've been too busy with life to do much more than flog old mel around.

I like G's list of recommended reading and would also suggest that you check out some of the Genko Tubulous designs, they might fit into your modern simplicity gig.

A rough couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by KUNK
    I recently joined this forum, with great excitement, to learn about and discuss MUSIC, AUDIO GEAR and technology. I thought I would be conversing with like minded, focused and helpful folks.

Sadly, I find a bunch of drama queens arguing about politics, people getting assaulted, insults, ranting and general poor attitude (my humble opinion). When a thread starts out with an audio topic it always seems to migrate, quickly, to a silly argument about whos’ schwartz is bigger and qualifies as a real audiophile….enough!

My last post is simply to ask what forums are out there that actually have adults talking about real audio. This is a serious question and only serious people need reply…goodbye and be well….kunk
    What GMichael said: it's like this everywhere ... more or less.

However no list of alternate sites would be complete without audiophile lunatic central ... AUDIO ASYLUM

JSE
    You judged this site based on a few threads that have many underlying issues around them and could not find anything useful? Say like the other 99% of the threads that are very civil and very helpful? Why not just quitely leave? Or, maybe you just wanted to make a statement? If so, your just let "us"

And just to add to your current preception of this site,

Don't let the door hit you in the ass when leaving.

Later!

JSE,

Damn dude, I think you might be right, Based on the heplful (you too) replys to "my last post", I should have looked further into some of the other sub-forums. I did fine some , on topic and helpful, replys to other posts. Sorry to come off as a whiner. Guess I needed a good whact up side da head. Thanks again to all who took time to reply. I am officially re-opening my feeeeble mind...

p.s. thanks too all for the forum suggestions. I will check them out...

kunk

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    You judged this site based on a few threads that have many underlying issues around them and could not find anything useful? Say like the other 99% of the threads that are very civil and very helpful? Why not just quitely leave? Or, maybe you just wanted to make a statement? If so, your just let "us"

Later!
    I'm sure that went a long way to sooth his disappointment at the site.

As far as the forum goes, its been pretty tame. I've been to other forums, and its pretty much the same. Some may be more technical, but the discourse is no less heated.

It just seems as of late, Mr. Walker has been hitting the hornets nest for the sake of hitting it. But, aside from his dementia tinged postings, for the most part, if you need info, you can get it.

I haven't seen Melvin out of the "General" area so the OP ought to hit the section he wants.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

JSE,

Damn dude, I think you might be right, Based on the heplful (you too) replys to "my last post", I should have looked further into some of the other sub-forums. I did fine some , on topic and helpful, replys to other posts. Sorry to come off as a whiner. Guess I needed a good whact up side da head. Thanks again to all who took time to reply. I am officially re-opening my feeeeble mind...

Then it's not too late for me to say, "Welcome to AR."
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Smile It'll all work out. give it time.

JSE,

We're going through a rough period right new. Yes, there's a lot of clowning around but there's also some real advice shared.

We have a our hands full with this "melvin walker" character who just dropped in out of nowhere recently and seems intent on urinating in everyone's cheerios and, like white blood cells on an invader, we're all over it and, frankly, gives some of us a chance to sharpen our nails.

So how 'bout those Giants huh? Anybody watch the Superbowl.........wait, before you answer that can you guys give me your thoughts on Bose........also I was considering upgrading my speaker wire, any suggestions........Does anyone here own a treadmill?

Sorry, couldn't help it

JSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    I'm sure that went a long way to sooth his disappointment at the site.

Tough love dude! Looks like he listened to me or he was being waaaaay sarcastic. Either way, he earned some cred in my eyes.

I think Kunk will find that most of the regulars here are fiercely loyal to each other and don't take kindly to scumbags who come here and start crap like Melvin has done. It's actually a pretty tight knit group or guys, and women (sorry FA) here who get along very well and give each other a ton of fun ****!

I hope Kunk stays. I have read all his posts but I just don't have much to offer so far. Except the whole don't let the door hit you in the arse thing. And this thread.

Suspended
    I think Kunk will find that most of the regulars here are fiercely loyal to each other and don't take kindly to scumbags who come here and start crap like Melvin has done. It's actually a pretty tight knit group or guys, and women (sorry FA) here who get along very well and give each other a ton of fun ****!
    Amen & Hallelujah!

I wonder what that last word was?

thanks to all---next

Thanks to all use guys.

Truth be told, I'm bareassed about even making that post. You're right about the general quality and sinful (sorry, i meant sincere) support available here, as evidenced by the replies to my lame asred post. There is also a plethora of good audio information and conversation available. All I had to do was look a bit deeper...I stand corrected. And I apologize to one and all. I usually don’t shout from the hip. I should have learned from the young engs….The conversations usually went something like this:

Hey kunk (that’s me). I got the plate done. Ya wanna look at the drawing?
    Sure….looks cool…..I got a couple of questions though.
    OK
    What material ya usin?
    Some kind of aluminum.
    What kind?
    I dunno
    Well since it’s a fixture plate and it has to be flat, how bout we use 6061-T651
    OK
    What kind of finish ya usin?
    I donno…maybe the black stuff.
    You mean black anodize?
    Yup
    You just gonna seal it?
    Huh?
    Is it goin in the clean room. Will they be slidin it around?
    Yup
    Well then lets hard lube it (Hard anodize with Teflon impreg)
    OK
    About this 5” x 7” cavity in the center, how deep is it?
    Bout 1.5”
    It’s got 0-radius corners….how‘s the shop gonna build it?
    On the mill…they’ll figure it out…or we could make it out of plate.
    No doubt, but we’ll have to pay for it
    Let’s put a radius in the corners or a passing cut for a zero radius.
    OK
    Which, any parts clearance issues on the back of the board (ECA)
    Nope
    OK let’s just use a .50 R
    OK
    Now, about those 2” deep 10-32 taped holes???

Swear to it, this was a close to actual (and not that unusual) conversation….don’t even get me started on vacuum, pneumatic and control systems…..holy bat crapman!

From GMichaels' post on "sales folks", (my inspiration) sounds we all had em with someone, and we all still do it ourselves once in a while.

I should’ve known better…..thanks again guys

Ps. Could we just drop this thread now?……pleeeeease
    Last edited by KUNK; 02-07-2008 at 11:35 PM.

kunk

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Well Kunk it looks like we have convinced you to stay.
    The more committed people we have here the better it will get so thank you and I look forward to your posts.

I can honestly say that depending on the topic and the attitude of the original poster you will get a lot of good info around here. I tend to just ask questions and discuss the type of off topic issues you mentioned as disliking because I do not know much about audio/video but I have an opinion on just about everything else.....

I am a member of a couple of the sites previously listed and I can tell you they are not as tight knit as this one is. You will soon learn what forums to go to and who to listen to when you post. If you don't get an answer here feel free to go to another site and pose your question there. Don't be afraid to bring the answer back here because it might help us all. We all pretty much share the same interest in the audio/video hobby so more info on a topic helps us all.

Unfortunately you will also see what topics tend to start arguements and whose personalities clash and result in a series of insulting posts directed at one camp or the other. Take it in stride and sometimes even between the insults you will find useful information.

Welcome aboard and happy posting!!!!

Later!
    First impressions is what it really boils down to first impressions if the moderating team can’t keep the HIGH expectations, then the word gets around this site isn’t good enough.

Thread Information