AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Question aboutt speaker's efficiency

Hi all,

I was told that speaker with low sensitivity or low impedance required high output amp.

But, how about if speaker has high sensitivity, but low impedance?

Let's say 90db & 4ohm? Would it still require high output amp?

Could wattage itself sufficiently qualify Amp as high output or not?

Any other parameters I should note?

A speakers impedance and sensitivity are not related

Impedance refers to how "easy" a load a speaker represents to an amp. Amps generally "like" a higher impedance and respond by producing less distortion, less heat and living a long, happy life.

A low impedance speaker puts more strain on an amp. The amp works harder, produces more distortion and, in the long run, may not last as long. Some amps simply aren't designed for low (4 ohm) impedance speakers. It takes a very well designed amp to handle very low (< 4 ohms) impedance anyway.

Sensitivity is merely a rough guideline as to how "loud" a speaker will play in relation to other speakers at the same "power" level. Sensitivity ratings are done by feeding the speaker the same voltage (2.83?) and a decible reading is taken at 1 meter from the speaker. That reading is the sensitivity spec you see touted.
    Last edited by markw; 03-04-2004 at 02:55 AM.

Forum Regular
    spot on....very good explanation :-)

Quote Originally Posted by manek
    spot on....very good explanation :-)
    Thank you!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Impedance refers to how "easy" a load a speaker represents to an amp. Amps generally "like" a higher impedance and respond by producing less distortion, less heat and living a long, happy life.

A low impedance speaker puts more strain on an amp. The amp works harder, produces more distortion and, in the long run, may not last as long. Some amps simply aren't designed for low (4 ohm) impedance speakers. It takes a very well designed amp to handle very low (< 4 ohms) impedance anyway.

Sensitivity is merely a rough guideline as to how "loud" a speaker will play in relation to other speakers at the same "power" level. Sensitivity ratings are done by feeding the speaker the same voltage (2.83?) and a decible reading is taken at 1 meter from the speaker. That reading is the sensitivity spec you see touted.
    Thx you. It is very clear

Before your reply, tentatively I would like to try on Thiel CS 1.6. But it appears to be not Amp friendly. And unless I can audition the speaker with my perferred Amp at the same time, this will be big gamble to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by NelNel
    Thx you. It is very clear

Before your reply, tentatively I would like to try on Thiel CS 1.6. But it appears to be not Amp friendly. And unless I can audition the speaker with my perferred Amp at the same time, this will be big gamble to take it.
    What's your preferred amp? The 1.6 drops no lower than 3 ohms which is perhaps a tad challenging, but not likely to devour most quality ss amps. If you're running a SET, you're probably right and I'd look elsewhere. However, a good high current amp will be more than able to push the Thiel.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    What's your preferred amp? The 1.6 drops no lower than 3 ohms which is perhaps a tad challenging, but not likely to devour most quality ss amps. If you're running a SET, you're probably right and I'd look elsewhere. However, a good high current amp will be more than able to push the Thiel.
    My preference is Int Amp, like Arcam A80 or MFA3.2

Also in my day 1 plan , I would like to upgrade incrementally, i.e. use an AVR-3803 to drive the Thiel. Then switch to Int Amp later. But think it is not viable now.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NelNel
    My preference is Int Amp, like Arcam A80 or MFA3.2

Also in my day 1 plan , I would like to upgrade incrementally, i.e. use an AVR-3803 to drive the Thiel. Then switch to Int Amp later. But think it is not viable now.
    Do you own the receiver now? If so You can buy a power amp and use the Denon's preouts to the power amp and it can drive the speakers. Most any power amp out there will drive 4ohm loads well.

And you're not thinking of buying Thiel based off of reviews. From reading it sounds like you have not atually heard them...It is very possible you won't like them at all.

Here is a review of the higher model and several responders to the review from another forum. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...es/152122.html

This response is probably more important for you than reading all the replies http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...es/152150.html

Thread Information