Forum Regular

Pioneer Elite SX-A6-J

Has anyone had any experience with this receiver? I am looking for a sub $500 street price stereo receiver. I have also thought about the Yamaha RX-797 among others. Would really like the Outlaw RR2150, but too rich for me right now. I would rather not look into used stuff unless someone can suggest a place that sells stuff that is in tip top shape. Also, the wife wants a remote.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    By coincidence, I have recently been considering both of the receivers that you mention. I was been able to listen to the pioneer, which was hooked up to a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS6 Floorstanding speakers, and the setup sounded terrific. That said I’m not sure if the sound quality was due to the speakers, to the receiver, or to both. Certainly, the RS6’s are speakers that have been held in high regard, so I would not be surprised if they were the reason the setup sounded so goo. Also, I’m a relative newbie to the world of audio components, so I cannot give you any seriously critical feedback. What I did hear, however, was very good. Full, rich sound, for bass, mids and highs. There was clarity, and the speakers were really able to “disappear” within the broad sound stage.

What is steering me towards the Outlaw, however, is the Pioneer’s lack of a USB input. Since my main music source will be coming from my computer (an iMac G5), I’m leaning towards buying a receiver that would have a USB input, so I can connect it directly to my computer and not have to use an RCA cable. That said, if you do not require USB, you could probably be very happy with the Pioneer AJ6.

Eh-V

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the input. I will not shy away from that item if that is what I finally decide on.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Pioneer Elite SX-A6-J

I bought this back in March 08. Sound is great but there seems to be a terrible design flaw. On 11-6-08 I brought the unit to a local authorized service dealer. When load is going thru unit via speakers the power cuts off. Long story short, the service dealer ordered parts that were backordered. Parts arrive and problem still exists. Pioneer techs helped service techs troubleshoot to no avail. Here it is 2 months later and Pioneer replaces with new unit shipped to dealer and lo and behold, same problem occurs with replacement. Today i call Pioneer (they never called me back as promised several weeks ago) and demanded my money back or for them to upgrade to the 70watt unit. I am only interested in 2-channel amps. Anyway, they quote an additional 3 to 5 business day timeframe to get back to me. I said it was unacceptable! Left a voice message for the manager at Pioneer and have not heard back as of this writing. I would stand clear of this receiver! 2 seperate units = same problem, all experienced by service technicians and not an isolated problem here at my house

Thread Information