Angry Hey, Mike Portnoy! You owe me 14 bucks!!

'Cause I went & bought that lame-ass CD by Liquid Trio Experiment you recorded 10 years ago (released last year), called Spontaneous Combustion (wow, clever!), featuring yourself, Jordan Rudess and Tony Levin. The cover looked intriguing, and I thought, well, maybe it's an offshoot of Liquid Tension Experiment, which pretty damn cool in it's own right. But alas, it was not meant to be. I was dismayed to read, when I got to the car and sliced open the wrapping, In October 1998, Liquid Tension Experiment reunited at Milbrook Studios in upstate New York to record our 2nd album. A few days into the sessions, John Petrucci's pregnant wife went into premature labor - leaving myself, Jordan and Tony stranded in an already set-up and booked recording studio. So like any creative and productive musicians would do, we decided to stay and JAM...and JAM we did!!

Over the course of two days, we played for hours on end. We consciously did not "compose" or "write" anything.....we just were enjoying the free spirit of jamming and improvisation...never discussing any preconceived ideas, riffs or direction...but simply "diving in without a safety net" and going wherever the music took us.

Oh great! A fricking jam session! I just shelled out $14 to hear this? How 'bout I go out into the barn, diddle away on my drumset, guzzle a couple of brews and charge you $14 for the pleasure of hearing me play "without a safety net"? Hell, as long as you're using the ol' circus metaphors, I'll even get a couple of trained circus seals to play the bulb horns on my CD! Of course, I won't warn you until after you've opened the disc.

I love this part: For some bizarre and still unexplained reason, the master tapes of these jams were misplaced during the mixing process. Oh, you think they were lost?? Or maybe whoever recorded it thought it was a flaming turd, as I do and burned them! Ya think?

Quite possibly one of the worst CDs I've ever purchased in my storied CD buying career. And I've bought some doozies- just ask anyone in here.

Avoid at all costs.

fp
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 01-11-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    In keeping with the Circus theme...

There's a sucker born every minute. And I think that you just proved that you're the one from your minute Finchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Finchy
    I love this part: For some bizarre and still unexplained reason, the master tapes of these jams were misplaced during the mixing process. Oh, you think they were lost?? Or maybe whoever recorded it thought it was a flaming turd, as I do and burned them! Ya think?
    LMAO!!!!

I'm sorry...but it's FUNNY!

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    In keeping with the Circus theme...

There's a sucker born every minute. And I think that you just proved that you're the one from your minute Finchy.

LMAO!!!!

I'm sorry...but it's FUNNY!
    Quiet, you- or I'll report you to the Webb Shariff!

fp

Thanks for the confession...

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte

Quite possibly one of the worst CDs I've ever purchased in my storied CD buying career. And I've bought some doozies- just ask anyone in here.

Avoid at all costs.

fp
    I was out Christmas shopping and was going to buy this for FA's husband. I even left a message on her cell phone saying I was buying this and if she didn't think he'd like it, I'd keep it for myself. I have both the other LTE CDs. But then as I wandered HMV I started to have second thoughts. I knew the story behind this album, and in the end decided that it was probably in the can for ten years because it sucked.

So I'm glad to hear I made the right decision.

Wait, so they never finished the 2nd LTE album? Then what is this?

Suspended
    I read this too late. Did you listen to the album or are you going by the liner notes? The samples didn't sound bad. I guess I should have paid more attention to the 3 star rating. Now I'm really worried because I know we both like Fusion.

You lost me when you said "the cover looked intriguing." Man, that thing is fugly, amateur-hour swill.

Still, if I saw this mixed in with the LTE discs in the used bin I woulda picked it up for sure. Thanks for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    You lost me when you said "the cover looked intriguing." Man, that thing is fugly, amateur-hour swill.
    You must hate all Magna Carta album covers, cuz this one's pretty tasteful in comparison.

Roger Dean thinks they're 'out there'.

I'm sure I'm the biggest Roger Dean fan on this message board, but even I'll admit that he jumped the shark by 1980.

Suspended
    OK, got my copy and Finch is correct. But I don't think it's Portnoy that owes the money he is the one who plays mostly throughout the album. He does have a flaw on a couple songs, is like he is ADHD, he's keeping a beat then about the time Rudess starts coming in with anything melodic that makes sense Portnoy changes the beat or starts in like it's drum solo time. There are some good riffs and melodies here and there, they should have taken those off this tape and developed them into real songs. This is just how the description written says, the three guys jamming, I don't mean, JAMMUN!, I mean just playing around. I guess if you were a fan of any of these 3 this album might make a nice novelty, or, if you needed a drum track. The album is not a total waste there is some good drumming and some good keys here and there. Toward the end of the album there is a track or so that could pass for a song but even those aren't tight. You can tell when the drum beat switches there's a bit of a lag like "hey, where's this guy going now". With this being said it's not so bad that I have buyer's remorse about it but I can't see it getting pulled off the rack a lot. The sound quality isn't bad either.

Suspended
    Train of Thought I like very much. It definitely rocks but it is also a well done, tight album, with incredible musicianship. This album proves beyond a doubt that Portnoy and Petrucci deserve to be in the top group of virtuosos on their respective instruments.

Thread Information