Need to replace DVD player: any suggestions?

My Samsung universal player pooped out after only a 1.5 years of service.

I want to replace it with something that can play SACDs as well as standard DVD. Blu-Ray isn't a consideration at this time since I don't have a TV that can display the higher resolutions, and I don't have an HDMI-equipped receiver. My budget is <$200.

i'm very open to other suggestions, but I will give consideration to the latest Oppo model: (link to specs), DV980H. I believe it has HDMI 1.2a, including DSD over HDMI. It plays SACD, DVD-A, and is 1081P-capable. I'm confuse about 1081P can come from? Specs state that HD-DVD is not supported. (It doesn't matter too much since I don't own a TV that does it.)

Also the DV980H has a USB connection. I'd like to know just what audio and video format USB can support: can you clue me in?
    Last edited by Feanor; 01-01-2008 at 10:56 AM.

I vote for the oppo DV-980H. Its audio section uses higher grade electronics then the DV-981, while the 981 has better video than the 980. Sorry, cant help you with the usb.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Say Feanor, email Oppo. They usually send you back an answer if a few hours. I emailed them twice with questions about the differences in the 980 and 981 and got answers back the same day!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    My Samsung universal player pooped out after only a 1.5 years of service.

I want to replace it with something that can play SACDs as well as standard DVD. Blu-Ray isn't a consideration at this time since I don't have a TV that can display the higher resolutions, and I don't have an HDMI-equipped receiver. My budget is <$200.

i'm very open to other suggestions, but I will give consideration to the latest Oppo model: (link to specs), DV980H. I believe it has HDMI 1.2a, including DSD over HDMI. It plays SACD, DVD-A, and is 1081P-capable. I'm confuse about 1081P can come from? Specs state that HD-DVD is not supported. (It doesn't matter too much since I don't own a TV that does it.)

Also the DV980H has a USB connection. I'd like to know just what audio and video format USB can support: can you clue me in?
    I have visions of plugging my little iPod Nano into the USB port, but so far I haven't found any answers to that question either. Nevertheless Feanor, either Oppo 98x player is a good value for the money. I think there are customer images on their website showing the care in which they package their product so that should tell you something about their concern for quality IMO. I'm not ready for Blu-ray/HD-DVD either and this is a good player for the interim period.

Living-Da-Blues has a 981 BTW.

Cool

Cambridge has a nice looking dvd player that plays SACD and dvdaudio, 299$.
    I would rather get one from them, even if it is a rebadged oppo(dont know if it is or not, but its very similar) because they might care more about the audio, giving you a nice CD player as well. Sorry about your Samsung, mines three years old and doing great.
    And the USB can carry something like 489 MBPS, HUGE amount of data, you could play your player over your computer, or a USB connection on your set, but most likely its intended to view JPGS from your camera, stuff like that.
    But I vote CAMBRIDGE , its just cooler, and you can see on youtube how its made.
    Lots of good viddy about Cambridge on youtube
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information