Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I may as well start the Tuesday thread off now...

Been doin’ a fair amount of listening this past week, and was able to pick up a few new things…

Telefon Tel Aviv – Map of What is Effortless

This one seems to be dividing opinions pretty heavily. Some folks are upset the record seems to be going in a more commercial direction, others find it nicely listenable. Regardless of the arguing, I’m enjoying it. It’s an interesting mish mash of electronic music and soul music, impeccably produced and complete with a live Orchestra backing things up. I can see why people who are more into the electronic thing would be put off by the smooth R&B touches, but considering I like both, it just sounds good to me. Vinyl fans take note, it comes as an extremely nice 2 record set, wonderfully pressed and nicely packaged.

HorrorPops – Hell Yeah!

Psychobilly band fronted by a hot chick playin’ a stand-up bass. What’s not to like? Their sound is actually not as hard-nosed as their image, leaning as much on traditional rockabilly as anything more extreme. Good catchy tunes keep this one rolling along nicely. A good listen if this is your bag.

Nobody - Pacific Drift: Western Water Music, Vol. 1

I think it was Dusty that didn’t care for this one. Well, I found some clips online and did like it. So, when I saw it, I grabbed it. (another quality vinyl pressing, by the way) I think it’s a nicely constructed electronic LP with vocals sprinkled throughout. Maybe not as groundbreaking as some things that have come out recently in the genre, but an enjoyable listen. It seems to walk a nice line between being out there and sticking to something with an easy to like sound.

M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts

Been looking for this one for a while, and finally saw a copy. First heard this on a comp from Jar. Think My Bloody Valentine with synths and you’re about as close as I can describe. I guess you could call it shoegazer electronica. Whatever you call it, it’s easy to get lost in.

Oscar Peterson Trio + One Clark Terry

Great set from Oscar Peterson’s trio, featuring Clark Terry guesting on trumpet and flugelhorn. The band is tight, the solos are very good and the tunes range from some up-tempo bop to some more laid-back bluesy jazz. It’s stumbling across records like this that makes me want to keep exploring jazz.

Earl Hines

Self-titled LP from the great piano player. This is my first experience with Hines, so I can’t say where it falls in his repertoire, but it is nice work nonetheless. Excellent piano playing from the 40s, backed by a competent small band.

Dizzee Rascal – Boy in Da Corner

Posted about this yesterday, so I’m not going to go into detail, just mention it again and say I’m diggin’ it.

Texas Terri and the Stiff Ones – Eat ****

Trashy rock and roll from a tight band fronted by a powerful, ass-kickin’ female. Nothing groundbreaking, just fun, good trashy powerful stuff. The nice hooks help keep this one going strong. Not for the easily offended, but a fun listen if you’re into this sort of thing.

That’s all the new stuff. (one of my bigger shopping sprees in a while) Also pulled out Throbbing Gristle – 20 Jazz Funk Greats, Low – Secret Name, Lou Reed – Legendary Hearts, a bunch of Eno era Bowie, and some more, but this list is big enough now, so that’s all I’m typing.

Forum Regular

Gloonka Kaploonka

Well let's see.

I listened to Tormato and Drama, the new re-re-re-re-re-remasters. Pretty good.

I also listened to some Crack the Sky, Zero Hour, Chroma Key, and Everon.

I also rediscovered "Tommy", the original album. Man, what a great recording. I was a late Who convert, and boy I have learned to like those Who albums a lot. Well, some of them.

I also watched the new Devo live dvd. It's good but weird, filmed at a Lollapalozza gig at maybe 5 or 6 in the afternoon, weird seeing them in broad daylight with minimal, and I mean minimal equipment.

Also listened to Big Country's 2 pack cd set featuring "No place like Home" and "Peace in our Time". Pretty good stuff, I have always liked Big Country.

Also spun Tim Finn's great solo album "Escapade". Poppy as hell but great nevertheless.

Also played Ultravox's "Vienna" and John Foxx's "The Garden".

Dave

Forum Regular

My listens

Divine Comedy - Regeneration
    Electric 6 - Fire
    Tosca - Suzuki
    Damien Rice - O
    Josh Ritter - Hello Starling
    The Cure - Best Of (2 CD collection with a disc full of acoustic versions, very nice)
    Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
    Joss Stone - Soul Sessions
    The Stills - Still liking this one

Cheers
    Mike

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody

Nobody - Pacific Drift: Western Water Music, Vol. 1

I think it was Dusty that didn’t care for this one.

Yeah, that was me. It's not that I disliked it, it just didn't do that much for me. I don't need it to be groundbreaking -- it just kind of went nowhere for me. But then again, I wasn't turned on by Broken Social Scene, neither.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Lost Trident Sessions

Return To Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy

The Tony Williams' Lifetime - Emergency. A great drummer who once played for Miles Davis. Teamed with John McLaughlin on guitars and some organ player whose name escapes me this 1969 jazz/rock fusion album just plain sux. Everything about this is awful. Crappy vocals from Tony. Lack of instrumentation - just drum/guitar/organ throughout. John's guitar is so distorted and fuzzed that he flat out sounds terrible. The music was massively chaotic and unorganized. No sense of melody or rhythm. One of the worst fusion albums I've ever heard.

Miles Davis - E.S.P and Relaxin'

Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Yes - Drama
    Neil Young - On The Beach. Outstanding album.
    Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power
    Los Lonely Boys - s/t
    Gov't Mule - Life Before Insanity
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Live On
    Dream Theater - Train of Thought
    Porcupine Tree - XM and Warzsawa
    Zappa - Hot Rats and Over-nite Sensation

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

A few new-to-me things this week:

Over The Rhine, Films For Radio- artfully-crafted, meticulously produced poppish tunes delivered grace in the form of a very big and lovely voice, whatever her name is. She could lose the emo eyeglasses, though............

Jolie Holland, Catalpa- This lass apparently was an early member of the Be Good Tanyas, leaving the group just as the 1st record was released. The first thing I thought when I spun this was, "When did they invent time-travelling to allow someone to jet back to 1830's Kentucky and capture this wonderful music?" This is lo-fi to the point of being no-fi, complete with coughs and a large dropped object being caught on tape. Not alt.anything, ROOTS music of the most elemental kind. A quiet voice wrapped around simple song structures with odd lyrics, backed sparingly by a guitar, maybe a mandolin, or harmonica, or fiddle, or saw. I like this record very much.

On vinyl, T Bone Burnett, S/T- never heard any of T Bone's own releases until this one- surprised that it was alt.countryish, but a very good record.

Lots more, but short on typing time.

et
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

The Tony Williams' Lifetime - Emergency. A great drummer who once played for Miles Davis. Teamed with John McLaughlin on guitars and some organ player whose name escapes me this 1969 jazz/rock fusion album just plain sux. Everything about this is awful. Crappy vocals from Tony. Lack of instrumentation - just drum/guitar/organ throughout. John's guitar is so distorted and fuzzed that he flat out sounds terrible. The music was massively chaotic and unorganized. No sense of melody or rhythm. One of the worst fusion albums I've ever heard

that's interesting.. I've always thought that this was one of THE jazz fusion albums, right up there with *****ES BREW and THE INNER MOUNTING FLAME.. I know the recording quality is pretty bad, but I really dig the performances.. I guess much of the music I enjoy could be labled "massively chaotic" .. I like it when musicians lose control and break free from the contraints of normal, melodic, nice music, and experiement with sound. To me WAY too much fusion suffers from being too nice and pretty. I like it when jazz musicians make a real attempt at rocking and getting ugly and sweaty, and not creating some kind of sleep inducing muzak. But I'm not a fusion expert by a long shot... so take that for what it's worth.

-jar
    If being afraid is a crime we'll hang side-by-side,
    at the swingin' party down the line..

The Replacements

Nothing new...

The Stranglers - Feline
    Love - Forever Changes
    Velvet Underground - s/t
    Luna - Bewitched
    The Pogues - Red Roses For Me
    Screaming Blue Messiahs - Gun Shy
    Antelope - s/t (ep)...still really enjoying this 6-song little gem courtesy of our old buddy Rae.
    Otis Redding - Otis Blue
    The Strokes - This Is It
    Roxy Music - Avalon
    Marvin Gaye - Greatest Hits
    The Dandy Warhols - 13 Tales of Urban Bohemia
    Janis Ian - Breakng Silence
    The Jam - Sound Affects ... for me this is the forgotten album of The Jam's "Big 4", (the other three; In The City, All Mod Cons, Setting Sons), but it shouldn't be. I listened through twice last night and it is every bit as good as the other three. More Beatles influenced, as opposed to the early Who/Kinks/Motown hybrid of the earlier albums, making for a nice evolution of the bands sound.

I also listened to Davey's and Stoney's 2003 comps, both great and quite different. So many '03 releases I must get...SOON!!!

Mark
    "I don't know. A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." The Right Honourable JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G

I listened to some Everon.

I also watched the new Devo live dvd. It's good but weird, filmed at a Lollapalozza gig at maybe 5 or 6 in the afternoon, weird seeing them in broad daylight with minimal, and I mean minimal equipment.
    What the heck is Everon? Sounds like an oil company that rips off it's share-holders.

I think that's the Devo concert vid I saw. They were in their yellow jumpers, right? Man, I thought that was outrageous! They freekin rawked! I loved how they visibly won over an obviously hostile crowd with their amazingly punky energy. I had no idea they were like that live.

Forum Regular

Devo Devo Devo

Troy,

Ya, I have raved about live Devo for years.

I saw them several times, they were indeed excellent.

Ya, that vid is the one with the Yellow jumpsuits.

To me they are "off" in the video. Indoors during their heyday was a totally immersable gig.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    Divine Comedy - Regeneration
    Electric 6 - Fire
    Tosca - Suzuki
    Damien Rice - O
    Josh Ritter - Hello Starling
    The Cure - Best Of (2 CD collection with a disc full of acoustic versions, very nice)
    Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
    Joss Stone - Soul Sessions
    The Stills - Still liking this one

Cheers
    Mike
    Hi Mike!

What do you think of that Joss Stone - Soul Sessions CD? I love her version of The White Stripes - Fell in Love With a Boy. Would you recommend it based on me liking that song? Isn't she a Brit?

And while you're at it, what's your opine on the Josh Ritter's - Hello Starling? Seems to have had a lot of listens on the board, but I have no idea if the buzz has been positive or negative.

TIA,
    Snowie

Throbbing Gristle – 20 Jazz Funk Greats

Throbbing Gristle! Ewwww!!! I'd hate to see the cover art on that one!

Hey nobody, a while back you offered me some more of your year-end comps, and I can't remember if I took you up on your very kind offer. I'd love to hear em, so I'll pm you my address in case the offer is still open.

Snowie

Been listening to that Wheat CD, Per Second... and I get into more with each listen. What a glorious album. I remember Davey offering up extra copies of a Wheat EP and recall the Wilco comparisons. I don't remember if the Wilco comments came from AMG or someone on the board but I like this so much more than Wilco that it's not even a contest. Going to need to drum up some more.

The only new one is of no interest to anyone here, 'cept maybe Dusty Chalk. We Are Eyes, We Are Builders from Soviet. A stingy two and a half stars from AMG is hardly unexpected. Some great electro music on this. Track 9 sounds like it would be at home in a John Hughes film. Jimmy likes.

Also some Jack70 comps, an FA comp to round things out. Also made a great little comp featuring a bunch of great songs I stole from some more recent comps and discs rec'd from the board. It's mighty fine.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Same crap different week.

Quote Originally Posted by -Jar-
    To me WAY too much fusion suffers from being too nice and pretty. I like it when jazz musicians make a real attempt at rocking and getting ugly and sweaty, and not creating some kind of sleep inducing muzak. But I'm not a fusion expert by a long shot... so take that for what it's worth.

-jar
    Well, I'm no fusion expert either. I've been interested in the musicians that played for Miles Davis during his "electric" period who then formed their own jazz/rock fusion bands.

It's amazing just how many musicians did this.

Anyway, they certainly got ugly on that Emergency recording. I was really looking forward to getting this and when I finally heard it I was very disappointed. Incidently, the follow-up to this, Turn It Over, is even worse. Just awful. So have a go at this one too, Mason. You'd probably like it.

I suppose Weather Report could fit into your "nice and pretty" catagory. I've only listened to Heavy Weather which was released in 1977 and contained their biggest hit "Birdland". A pretty good tune really but the rest of that album didn't do anything for me. I would like to check out their earlier releases though, primarily the first one.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbunny
    Throbbing Gristle – 20 Jazz Funk Greats

Throbbing Gristle! Ewwww!!! I'd hate to see the cover art on that one!

Snowie
    It's a pretty scary cover, but not in the way you're thinking...

a few that I remember

Outcast: Souternplayalisticadilacmuzic
    Elton John: Honky Château
    Broken Social Scene: You Forgot it in People
    Beck: Odelay
    Tonic: Sugar
    Yes: Keystudio

I suppose Weather Report could fit into your "nice and pretty" catagory. I've only listened to Heavy Weather which was released in 1977 and contained their biggest hit "Birdland". A pretty good tune really but the rest of that album didn't do anything for me. I would like to check out their earlier releases though, primarily the first one.

HEAVY WEATHER has some nice stuff ("Birdland" was one of the first "jazz" songs I ever played in jazz band in high school).. and.. shhhh.. I also have a few Spyro Gyra albums, and I love Pat Metheny's 80's albums.. So, I do like the melodic stuff too.. with those, it's more of a nostalgia thing too.. though FIRST CIRCLE is one of my all time favorite albums period. Not sure if he's even considered "fusion".. With any genre, you have to find the gems or you just get lost and confused, because they all end up sounding the same. I have the Chick Corea Elektric Band album.. I pull that out once every 5 years or so.. besides the fact that it sounds completely dated, I just have to laugh a little because it all sounds like background music for some episode of MIAMI VICE.. but yea, I don't have much of a fusion collection.. yes, a lot of it sounds the same to these ears.. I remember when I was young arguing with my Neil Young and Moody Blues-listening uncle about how Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were completely different..because he just laughed and said it all sounded the same to him..

-jar

The Replacements

Global Village Idiot mad rhetorik's Avatar

Post A few albums..

Talk Talk: Laughing Stock
    Suffice to say, I won't be missing that Bosstones album. Best trade I've ever made (the original owner said it was "too boring" for him...well, that's his loss). It sort of reminds me of Sigur Ros or Godspeed You Black Emperor, with a wider variety of instrumentation. Really pretty stuff. Definitely at least a 4.5 out of 5.

The Who: Quadrophenia
    Creedence Clearwater Revival: Chronicle Vol. 1
    Neil Young: Tonight's The Night
    R.E.M.: Fables Of The Reconstruction
    John Coltrane: The Ultimate Blue Train

Also been listening to a little self-made EP of songs culled from System Of A Down's Steal This Album. I call it the "American Dream Disorder" EP, after the best song on the album. If anyone is interested in a nine-song S.O.A.D. EP, feel free to drop me a line.
    Last edited by mad rhetorik; 03-02-2004 at 11:23 AM.
    "...and then at the end of the letter I like to write <i>'P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.'</i> "

<b>_R.I.P. Mitch Hedburg 1968-2005_</b>

Quote Originally Posted by mad rhetorik
    Talk Talk: Laughing Stock
    Suffice to say, I won't be missing that Bosstones album. Best trade I've ever made (the original owner said it was "too boring" for him...well, that's his loss). It sort of reminds me of Sigur Ros or Godspeed You Black Emperor, with a wider variety of instrumentation. Really pretty stuff. Definitely at least a 4.5 out of 5.
    have you heard HEX by Bark Psychosis?

If not, you're in for a real treat.

Definately a cousin of LAUGHING STOCK.

You also might want to consider Talk Talk's previous album SPIRIT OF EDEN (it's been on my wish list for a few years now..) .. though I've only heard one track.. it's similar in nature to LAUGHING STOCK.

-jar

The Replacements

Forum Regular

lots of diferent stuff

The newest Lisa Gerrard and Patrick Cassidy, inmortal memory the latest offering from lisa, is excellent to this pair of ears, but beware some fans are dissapointed because is to much soundtrack oriented, is kind of liturgical music.
    David Bowie ziggy stardust.and roxy music avalon, bugth them in SACD version and never herad them before( biased against those glam rockers in younger ages) both excellent music and sound.
    Mogwai happy songs very good post rock (?) album as good as sigour ros.
    Dream theater train of tougth excellent musicianchip troughout the album.
    Some classical all of it in SACD Bethoven violin concerto and symphonies 5th, 7th, 9th, Dvorak #5, Berlioz simphonie fantastique, Mhaler #2.
    Yes fragile.
    Flower kings retropolis.
    Lots of latin stuff including Julieta Venegas, caifanes, jaguares ( i think i should work in a comp of Rock en espanol for you guys but i'm still short of something representative need more artist in my collection. Also some trova latina .

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Clark
    Been listening to that Wheat CD, Per Second... and I get into more with each listen. What a glorious album. I remember Davey offering up extra copies of a Wheat EP and recall the Wilco comparisons. I don't remember if the Wilco comments came from AMG or someone on the board but I like this so much more than Wilco that it's not even a contest. Going to need to drum up some more.
    If you're liking the Wheat CD, then definitely give a listen to this in-studio performance and interview. From KCRW - Santa Monica, CA.

Wheat on KCRW's New Ground

Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    If you're liking the Wheat CD, then definitely give a listen to this in-studio performance and interview. From KCRW - Santa Monica, CA.

Wheat on KCRW's New Ground

Roger that-thanks for the tip.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular

My hearings

Not much this week.

Sparks......................................s/t and Tweeter in Woofers Clothing.

Style Council..............................Introducing the

Kinks........................................Villa ge green

Hawkwind..................................Space Ritual

Gladys Knight.............................Greatest Hits(Buddah years)

Los Lonely Boys.........................S/T

Joe Strummer.............................Streetcore(My cd of '03)

Sly Stone...................................There's a Riot Going On

Red Hot Chili Pepper's.................Finche"s comp. Thank you so much this is really really good, nearly everthing on here is new to me and i think it's great. Flea is a great bass player, but Kedis's singing is so much better than I anticipated. It's also very Funky, great stuff.

Tony

Lots of CRSv9 goodies

Lots of CRSv9 stuff - but I can't tell you who or what now, can I.

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Streetcore (just a fantastic album)

The surprise of the week - Edie Brickell "Volcano". This is very good.

Jeffrey Foucault "Miles From The Lightning". Pure Americana, reminiscent of Townes Van Zandt.

The Handsome Family "Singing Bones". I'm hooked on this.

The Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones "New York City". Better than her newest effort "Feels Like Home", which I've also spun this week.

Lucinda Williams "Car Wheels" and "World Without Tears"

Los Lonely Boys.

Comps:

Finchy's "Piece of Cake - 20 Years of Ryko". Quite a lineup there FP. I like it, but why did you send me two? Usually you just send me one copy, and a Lincoln to post about your comp.

Jack70's latest effort. Great under the radar ladies of blues.

Stone's 2003 comp.

JCs "Rock and Roll With The Ramones"

JD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information