AR Newbie Registered Member

Question NTSC, PAL? Does it make any difference?

Hello there,
    I´m looking for an AV receiver (Denon AVR 1804, Marantz SR 4400, NAD T752 - too expensive) and after some research, I decided to go for Denon. I was reading a review in one of the specialized magazines and I have a doubt regarding the video processing : are the receivers dependent on the video system? Example: if I buy it here in Germany where the video system is PAL (I´m sure it will work with PAL equipments ), will it work if I plug in equipments that use another system (like NTSC or PAL-M) ?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jaja
    Hello there,
    I´m looking for an AV receiver (Denon AVR 1804, Marantz SR 4400, NAD T752 - too expensive) and after some research, I decided to go for Denon. I was reading a review in one of the specialized magazines and I have a doubt regarding the video processing : are the receivers dependent on the video system? Example: if I buy it here in Germany where the video system is PAL (I´m sure it will work with PAL equipments ), will it work if I plug in equipments that use another system (like NTSC or PAL-M) ?
    jaja:
    NTSC and Pal - although similar are different in some aspects. The differences are important for both the source component(s) and the display (TV set, or monitor). For an A/V receiver that's put into the signal path between the two, there should be no difference at all in the capability to pass the signal through without damage. If you want a second opinion, contact Denon tech support (good luck) and ask them. I'm quite sure that they will verify what I've told you (if you get someone on the phone that knows their stuff that is).
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

AR Newbie Registered Member

Talking

Woodman, thanks for your reply . I would expected the AV receiver to be a pass thru as you mentioned. In my case that should work. But just to improve my knowledge: I think I saw some notes/comments about bigger receivers ( from $2K on) that are capable of reworking the video signal. Did you ever heard about?
    FYI, I sent a mail to Denon tech support yesteday and got no reply so far (they should hire you).

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jaja
    Woodman, thanks for your reply . I would expected the AV receiver to be a pass thru as you mentioned. In my case that should work. But just to improve my knowledge: I think I saw some notes/comments about bigger receivers ( from $2K on) that are capable of reworking the video signal. Did you ever heard about?
    FYI, I sent a mail to Denon tech support yesteday and got no reply so far (they should hire you).
    jaja:
    The "reworking of video signals" in some A/V receivers has to do with the interconnect format ... not with NTSC and PAL. There are source components like DVD players and VCRs that are capable of both TV systems, and there are TV sets that can accept both, but A/V receivers have no need to do anything other than to pass the signals through without altering them. Clear?
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    jaja:
    The "reworking of video signals" in some A/V receivers has to do with the interconnect format ... not with NTSC and PAL. There are source components like DVD players and VCRs that are capable of both TV systems, and there are TV sets that can accept both, but A/V receivers have no need to do anything other than to pass the signals through without altering them. Clear?
    Well . . .

Some receiver do convert the video signal between formats (meaning from component/s-video to composite, and the like).

How will such conversion be affected for different video standards I am not sure.

Calling the manufacturer I think is the best bet.

Thread Information