Thread: Phono Input

Forum Regular

Phono Input

Two question's
    If your receiver has no phono input on the back and you want to hook up a turntable is there something you can buy to achieve this . Also if your receiver does have a phono input can you hook anything else up to that input other than a turntable..
    Thanks
    The Nelster

Yes and no.

Yes, if your receiver lacks a phono input, many, many aftermarket "phono preamps" exist and are available in all price ranges form anywhere around $25 up to several thousand. Check out Radio Shack, NAD, Rotel and AudioAdvisor for some examples thereof.

These provide the needed additional gain to raise up the weak phono cartridge signal (millivolts) up to a line level (1 volt +) signal useable by your receiver. Along with this amiplification, it also applys a very specific equalization curve, dictated by RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America (or some such)). This essentially boosts the bass and cuts the highs so that when it's all said and done, it sounds like music.

Since this is part and parcel of ANY phono preamp stage, this precludes using anything except a phono cartridge in a phono input.

So, no, you cannot use a phono input for anything except a phono cartridge.
    Last edited by markw; 03-01-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Forum Regular

Parasound and Creek are also very good phono stages

for not a ton of money (at least I don't think so). I think the Parasound is about $200, maybe even less. Also try used on Audiogon and ebay. Search under "phono stage"
    Space

The preceding comments have not been subjected to double blind testing, and so must just be taken as casual observations and not given the weight of actual scientific data to be used to prove a case in a court of law or scientific journal. The comments represent my humble opinion which will range in the readers perspective to vary from Gospel to heresy. So let it be.

nightflier

Parasound Preamp

Quote Originally Posted by spacedeckman
    for not a ton of money (at least I don't think so). I think the Parasound is about $200, maybe even less. Also try used on Audiogon and ebay. Search under "phono stage"
    Parasound has a phono preamp, model PPH-100 on sale at Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com) for $120 (w/ free shipping). I purchased this preamp for my father (he has an extensive LP collection) and it is an excellent quality amp. What I also like about this preamp, compared to models at radio shack and even more expensive units, is that is is slim and wide so that it fits neatly inside an audio cabinet. I highly recomend this model, although Audio Advisor also has more expensive models from Creek ($199) and Perraux ($349) as well as others.

Kursun
    Quote Originally Posted by Over50revisited
    Two question's
    ...Also if your receiver does have a phono input can you hook anything else up to that input other than a turntable..
    Thanks
    I have a Pioneer VSX-D2011 (equiv. of Pioneer Elite 45TX). I has phono inputs. Its phono inputs are also configurable as either phono inputs or line level inputs (just in case you don't need phono inputs) from its setup.

This isn't an exact answer to your question, but you may find this feature interesting...

Forum Regular

Thanks everybody for the input

No pun intended
    The Nelster

Quote Originally Posted by Over50revisited
    No pun intended
    Hey dude, don't come here and try to turn the tables. Ya know that pun was intended so just admit it.

Good to see ya and hope all is well.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Thread Information