Forum Regular

Question about some mods on Ratshack speakers

I thought a while ago, mabey not here but somewhere on the net I read a article about how to modify the Radio Shack RCA PRO-LX55 speakers with that funky tweeter deal . I think it had to do either with a cross over or may have even been a crossover switch and possibly a nicer woofer? Said the mods really made the speaker a LOT better from what I read. Let me know if you know what im talking about cause I have a chance to get a pair of these for $50. At worst theywould/should make decent surrounds for my S4 Polks.

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    If memory serves me correctly, it's a crossover mod on the LX-5/55's. Seems like it was capacitor only changes.

They make decent rear channel speakers in HT applications.

They're also great for whole house background systems - I have several pairs in different rooms, connected to an Adcom 65wpc x 4 amp for my house system.

Forum Regular
    Thanks Steve, I was not sure. I know they are one of the only Rat Shack speakers that are actually worth buying and the article I saw was 2-3 years old. I just remember thet the guy said for cheaper speakers with a minimum of effore you could make them really nice. I got junky radio shack surrounds(look kinda like Bose cubes) right now and these seem to be a decent budget alternative for surrounds.

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    The old plastic cubes from Rat Shack are pretty crappy - I can say that because I had a pair!!!!

The LX-55's are decent speakers even stock. I have three pairs of them throughout the house, a retired pair of Bose 301's in the shop and a pair of LX-5's (with dipole tweeter) in the computer room.

I've acquired them over the years, closeout sales and such - when they went from Optimus to RCA they had a good sale a couple of years back.

Thread Information