The Waterboys Live - A Review

This is one of the bands on my short list that I just have to see before it's too late..for me, or for them. Anyway, one of my friends got some excellent fourth row seats, stage right, and the 7 of us headed to The Keswick Theater in Glendside, which is just north of Philly to see this band with a great blend of Caeltic-infused rock and roll. We got there a bit early and hit the Keswick Tavern for some pub grub and libations. They had a decent selection of tap brews, and I settled on Sierra Pale Ale while most of the others ordered Blue Moon.

The Keswick is a very nice venue, a bit dated but in very good shape, with comfortable seats and very good acoustics. We took our seats and took in the opening act, a female singer/songwriter from Brooklyn and her 3 piece backing band. I can't remember her name at the moment, but she had a very nice voice and decent songs, but we came to see the Waterboys, so I just wanted her to finish so we could get on with it.

After a very short intermission, our comes Micheal Scott, who, is you didn't know, is the lead singer, songwriter, lead guitarist, along with Steve Wickham on electric fiddle and lute, Mark Smith on bass, Richard Naiff on keys, and Damon Wilson on drums. Mike was wearing tuxedo pants with the shiny stripe down the sides, a black shirt and a jacket with tails, but no tie thankfully. Richard had the wildest psychedelic jacket on, like something you would have seen back in the 60s in bands like Vanilla Fudge or Moby Grape. I understand the Waterboys DVD had a segment where they go shopping and convince Richard to buy the jacket. Enough about the attire, on to the music!

They came out fast and furious with a rousing The Man With the Wind at His Heals, and followed with a rocking Just Found Love. It was early but we were in for a great night of music. Mike was in fine voice and the band was tight and played with plenty of enthusiasm. This is going to be a long list, but here are the remaining tunes they played in before the encore. although I may not have all of the titles correct, but I'm you'll let me know.

It's Gonna Rain, Love Will Shoot You Down. Glastonbury Song, England is Dying, Pieces of Iona, The Raggle Taggle Gypsy, Whole of the Moon, Strange Arrangement, Sustain, She Tried to Hold Me, When Will We Be Married, The Stolen Child, Red Army Blues, Medicine Bow. While it was tough to beat the first two of the night, Whole of the Moon, their biggest hit I suppose, was a highlight for me, along with Red Army Blues and Sustain. Great stuff all.

The first encore started with what I believe is titled Independence Day, since he said it about a gazillion times during the song, then a cover of Johnny Mercer's 'Mr. In Between' (not sure if that's the name 'o the tune!), and the great The Pan Within.

After another short break, they came back for the second and final encore, starting with You in the Sky, and finally the title track from their most famous album, Fisherman's Blues, bringing the biggest roar of the night from the crowd.

It may be hard to imagine an electric fiddle in a rock band, but Richard makes it sound like a lead guitar in the more up-tempo songs, and, along with plenty of Hammond B3, a solid rhythm section, lead guitar and vocals from one of the best front-men in the business, this is one band you should really consider seeing if they venture near your town.

Swish
    I call my bathroom Jim instead of John so I can tell people that I go to the Jim first thing every morning.

If you say the word 'gullible' very slowly it sounds just like oranges.

Great write up. Sounds like you had a good time and the Raggle Taggle men didn't dissapoint.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Color me jealous. Glad they rocked it for you, mang.
    ----Never Off Topic, Never Rude-----

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Solid write up Swishy and right on time with your observation about the electric fiddle and the B3. Sounds like despite the anticipation there was no let down. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Thread Information