The Music Industry and the Truth about OiNK

Interesting blog that I mostly agree with. My one exception to this whole spiel is I'm gonna buy music I like whether it's on major label or not, although the rational behind this point does have some merit. The assessment about OiNK and why and what made it so great is spot on. It's too bad more music fans never got to experience it for themselves. Perhaps someday there will be a legal alternative with the quality and unbelievably vast library once found on OiNK, but I'm not holding my breath.

http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/1...-birth-of.html
    Last edited by Slosh; 10-27-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: awkwardly worded...posted before I was fully awake
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Great article Sloshy. Thanks for putting this on.

I agree with the essential premise of Demonbaby. Frankly, we all know that large-scale, wholesale downloading of entire albums is wrong. At the same time the technological advancements that made this possible should've presented an opportunity to roll with the demands of the consumers. It's interesting how they likened the busting of OiNK to busting a cocaine cartel. Seems to me like the yayo boys are hiding on the plaintiff's side of the aisle in the courtroom faced off against the nation's twelve year olds.

As much as I've enjoyed making fun of Radiohead, I think their's might be the model of the future. It's almost like a low-rez promo for the real thing. Who here hasn't gotten a comp or a download and then proceeded to buy a "legitimate" copy of the material because of quality?

I remember in college working in the bars during the offseason to make a little scratch. The first night I moved from being a bouncer to being behind the bar I was glad-handing about with some of the regulars. I free-poured what I perceived to be a pretty stiff drink for one of the regulars and immediatly starting taking heat from the owner of the place. To my surprise his issue wasn't that I was forgoing a jigger, it was that I wasn't pouring it strong enough. He went on to pour a drink that would've crippled an elephant.

His point was that you've got to give a little to get a little. You've got to take care of the folks that suit up and show up every night and pay the power bill for you. The music industry needs to pour some stiff drinks.

I pay about $75 a month for Dish Network that I hardly ever watch (mostly I only keep it for my daughter). I would gladly pay that much for a legal service like OiNK. It would have to have the quality (FLAC) and variety that OiNK enjoyed, and the download speed (most 300MB torrents took about 20 minutes for me), and be DRM free.

NP: (an album I ended up buying precisely because I got to hear it first from OiNK that I definitely wouldn't have bought otherwise)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally Posted by Troy: She has that same kind of cleft-pallet, slightly retarded way of singing that so many other people find endearing.

Rae
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    As much as I've enjoyed making fun of Radiohead, I think their's might be the model of the future. It's almost like a low-rez promo for the real thing.
    Yeah, but a real lo-res promo. You're talking to a room full of audiophiles here, and I'm sure that at least a few people are frustrated that their first exposure to an anticipated album has to be something that's sonically inferior to the actual work the band created. I mean, if you could've watched Children of Men in a tiny pop-up on yr computer instead of paying $10 to see it in the theater, would you have done it? Not me.

~Rae

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Rae Rae,

Well I'm sure there are some who are disappointed. I'm a little peaved that SACD and DVD-A were allowed to rot on the vine. We all have our crosses to bare. Until the industry recognizes that many, especially youngsters, are either unwilling or incapable of paying $15.00-$18.00 for two good songs and some filler they're gonna have to think outside the envelope.

Clearly the scare tactics aren't working and the people who are going to download because that's all they listen to aren't about to stop. If they can be slowed down by the fact that by the time the full-res release hits the stores the songs are already played out to the song-of-the-week crowd then maybe they have a chance to try something different.

It's going to be an interesting battle to watch. The standard aspects of stupid, blind American corporate greed come into play--and all the resultant idiocy and buffonery that come in that package. The big boy execs have too much money on the line to simply abandon the current business model...and the dealers and the pimps don't wanna go to rehab.

But you're right, I wouldn't watch it for free on a pop up.

42 Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae
    Yeah, but a real lo-res promo. You're talking to a room full of audiophiles here, and I'm sure that at least a few people are frustrated that their first exposure to an anticipated album has to be something that's sonically inferior to the actual work the band created. I mean, if you could've watched Children of Men in a tiny pop-up on yr computer instead of paying $10 to see it in the theater, would you have done it? Not me.
    ~Rae
    I agree, but disagree at the same time. (Then again, I wear my mid-fi sensibilities on my sleeve.) ;-)

I'm looking forward to the legit redbook release of this disc, because I'm digging the album. And for a 160kps mp3, the "sample release" actually doesn't sound all that bad. But yeah, I would have been far happier (and more generous with my voluntary contribution, too) if it had been a 256kps download.

This distribution strategy is a significant step in the right direction, IMO. Somebody is going to get it exactly right pretty soon, now that it's proven to be do-able.
    Mr. MidFi
    Master of the Obvious

Thread Information