Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Membership has it's priveledges

Gotta e-mail yesterday from the boys and girls at my local for a little appreciation dealio, a Sunday crack at the used bins for half-off. The following is my take, all had for less than $50.00US.

Billy Bragg and Wilco~Mermaid Avenue
    Thelonius Monk Septet~Monk's MusicSACD
    Pinback~Autumn of the Seraphs
    Vince Guaraldi Trio~Cast Your Eyes To The WindSACD
    P.J.Harvey~Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
    Tomahawk~Tomahawk
    Putumayo Presents~Blues Around The World
    Robert Cray Band featuring the Memphis Horns~Midnight Stroll
    The Roots~Phrenology
    The Smiths~The Quenn Is Dead spare for the car
    Dave Samuels~Caribbean Jazz Project
    Bryan Ferry~Frantic
    Morrisey~Viva Hate
    The Mighty Mighty Bosstones~A Jackknife To A Swan
    The History Of Trojan Records Vol.2 2 disc set; various reggae
    The Brian Setzer Orchestra~The Dirty Boogie

Its gonna be a good week.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Enjoy. I like when good things happen to good people.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Gotta e-mail yesterday from the boys and girls at my local for a little appreciation dealio, a Sunday crack at the used bins for half-off. The following is my take, all had for less than $50.00US.

Billy Bragg and Wilco~Mermaid Avenue
    Thelonius Monk Septet~Monk's MusicSACD
    Pinback~Autumn of the Seraphs
    Vince Guaraldi Trio~Cast Your Eyes To The WindSACD
    P.J.Harvey~Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
    Tomahawk~Tomahawk
    Putumayo Presents~Blues Around The World
    Robert Cray Band featuring the Memphis Horns~Midnight Stroll
    The Roots~Phrenology
    The Smiths~The Quenn Is Dead spare for the car
    Dave Samuels~Caribbean Jazz Project
    Bryan Ferry~Frantic
    Morrisey~Viva Hate
    The Mighty Mighty Bosstones~A Jackknife To A Swan
    The History Of Trojan Records Vol.2 2 disc set; various reggae
    The Brian Setzer Orchestra~The Dirty Boogie

Its gonna be a good week.
    Geez, not often you an SACD in the used bins - nice finds!

nice finds

Happy listening,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks

Tomahawk~Tomahawk
    This rawks. I don't care for the sequencing of it, but it's got some shredding sh!t on it.

fp

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    This rawks. I don't care for the sequencing of it, but it's got some shredding sh!t on it.

fp
    Really?

I saw Tomahawk in support of that record back in 02 with Tool. I didn't have the record and thought they were really monotonous and promptly forgot about them until reading some reviews for the new record. I didn't know it was a "Supergroup" like Damn Yankees! Between Jesus Lizard, Helmet, and FNM alumni, I may have to check it out.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

DearMarky Shabaam,Not bad at all, my man.As for the CD I was gonna send ya, I decided not to cuz it's less than mediocre.As soon as I score something decent, I will head it your way.Peas,

On a sidenote, it's been startling how much the older discs highlight the compression and volume leveling of newer stuff. I threw in "The Smiths" and turned my amp up about half way to get a decent level of volume and afterwards threw in something more modern...just about blew myself outta the chair. Damn.

And, yeah, the "Tomahawk" rawks as does much of the other material. Pretty good take and although I wouldn't pop $14 or $17 a piece for most, $2 is a great deal.

The sleeper of the group has been "The History of Trojan Records". I've been doing some wrap-up at work for the last project and the office has been like a mini-Jamaica. Mistah nobody would like this one.

Yeah, Trojan has a whole slew of great collections. They've got a big list of cheap 3 disc sets that are short on liner notes and pictures, but long on music. Great label and pretty much any of their collections has some great stuff.

A really great Trojan collection was compiled by DJ Spooky last year I believe it was.

There's a great track on disc 2 of that collection called The Russians Are Coming which is a reggae/dub version of Dave Brubeck's Take Five.

I didn't know Monk ever recorded with a sextet! Setzer any fun? Nice work.

(later) er, dat be septet. So whadda you think of Miss Harvey? I saw her on Leno just last nite accompaning herself with only a harpsichord and a foot organ which she played sparingly at that. That's the way I like her . . raw. In fact, that's the name of my favorite title by her. Island saw fit to surround her with a bunch of production on subsequent releases and she went along with it, and why not, she's a rich young woman today. I don't think she appears live with any of that. She was spectacularly beautiful on Leno. She has a style that is completely unique. She took chances with her voice I don't hear anybody taking and she can positively make it sound true. There is nobody like her. Whadda you think?
    Last edited by jim goulding; 10-17-2007 at 10:41 PM.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    She took chances with her voice I don't hear anybody taking and she can positively make it sound true. There is nobody like her. Whadda you think?
    Hey jim,

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head. Polly Jean does some tingling and edgy stuff. Ultimately not my favorite but when you're in the mood there aren't many substitutions for Ms. Harvey.

Setzer is what it is. It's good, upbeat material. It's good for me because things were starting to get occassionaly dirge-like 'round here. I still gotta see this guy live before one of us passes on to the great Ford Thunderbird in the Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    So whadda you think of Miss Harvey? ... There is nobody like her.
    Got that right. PJ is getting kind of hot as she gets older. And White Chalk is a really nice recording and mastering job too. I was afraid it would be horribly compressed like her last couple, and like most major label stuff, which always irked me in light of the big dynamics on her first couple records, but maybe because this one is more reflective, with piano as the primary accompaniment, they used better judgment. Screw the idiots at the record label, this one you have to crank pretty high. Into that region of your volume control that doesn't see much action anymore. Really sounds nice on both speakers and Senn 600s. Cool reverb on her voice(s) that keeps you looking up. In any case, Polly will always be special to me, and a new record is always welcome. Dark, reflective, and melancholy, to be sure, but we all have moods. This new one you can sink into, just so much more relaxed and natural sounding. But might not be something a casual fan would love, although I'm not sure how many casual fans she has. We tend to be pretty ardent. And yeah, I know, I've already said most of this before.

It does come in one of those cheap mini-LP covers, but is nicely done with an inner sleeve. Still seems kind of cheap for a fairly big artist on a major label, but they were charging under $10 when I pre-ordered it from amazon, so that part's nice. This one is gonna take a lot of listens to really soak up. And I have been listening to it almost exclusively at home for the last couple weeks. Gotta say at this point I really love it. Got it stashed in the 6-disc changer in the RSX right now for the road trip tomorrow. Gonna sound good. PJ and some Jason Molina and Electrelane and British Sea Power and Laika and Pixies and a bunch of other cool stuff. Road trips are a blast.

Ya ever wonder where some of these artists get their inspiration? Check out Polly's parents below ...

Super post, Davey. I read you loud and clear and I'm motivated to hear this for all the reasons you cited.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Thread Information