Forum Regular

Angry Why Do All AV Receivers under 1k only have 2 Component Inputs?

This is mind-boggling to me. Am I the only person that has HDTV, Progressive Scan DVD, and Progressive Scan X-Box?

Does anyone know of a way to hook up all three w/o needing to bypass the receiver for the third component in?

F1
    Quote Originally Posted by dapercy
    This is mind-boggling to me. Am I the only person that has HDTV, Progressive Scan DVD, and Progressive Scan X-Box?

Does anyone know of a way to hook up all three w/o needing to bypass the receiver for the third component in?
    What about "Y splitter". Never tried before, but it may work...

Forum Regular
    Where can I get a Y splitter. I'll have to check it out.

Forum Regular
    radio shack sells some good ones i have used.

Forum Regular

Talking

Actually alot of recievers over the thousand mark only have two sets also. My STR-DA7ES was originally a $2300 unit. I do know what you mean though. I decided to run the component cables straight to the T.V.. I then ran the sound through my reciever. I also did this with my HD box. My T.V. has more component inputs than my reciever.

~C.C.~

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaToy
    Actually alot of recievers over the thousand mark only have two sets also. My STR-DA7ES was originally a $2300 unit. I do know what you mean though. I decided to run the component cables straight to the T.V.. I then ran the sound through my reciever. I also did this with my HD box. My T.V. has more component inputs than my reciever.

~C.C.~
    I agree, the best way to hook your cable, and DVD player is directly into your monitor. Just because a reciever CAN switch component video, in my view there's got to be a loss of signal there, even if only from the multiple connections. My TV has two component inputs, and these are what are hooked into them.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Why not buy a switchbox? They're less than $20.00 and connect several units to it. As for fidelity - well if you're running a receiver it's not a big loss anyway IMO.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dapercy

The mfgs. of A/V receivers have decided (and rightly so) that 2 component-video inputs should satisfy the needs of most everybody. Your wanting to connect a video game console via component video is not ereally the problem that you're making it out to be. There are no video games that will require the amount of video bandwidth that component-video provides, and you'll see no difference in the quality of video from your video games if you use an S-video connection for them. HDTV and progressive-scan DVD players require component-video connections ... video game consoles don't.

Switching more than two Component-video sources to feed the TV set will require an external switch-box, unless you can spring for a "flagship" receiver that offers 3 such inputs on it's backside.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by F1
    What about "Y splitter". Never tried before, but it may work...
    I don't think "Y" splitters will work too well for video input/outputs since same impedance have to be maintained (75 ohm) throughout IC cable connections.

As others have mentioned, if the revere or TV can not accommodate all of component connection, then one might be to get by using an A/V switch box for $20-30. Just make sure the yellow connection (video) on the A/V box is used for the green color coded component cable

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    The mfgs. of A/V receivers have decided (and rightly so) that 2 component-video inputs should satisfy the needs of most everybody. Your wanting to connect a video game console via component video is not ereally the problem that you're making it out to be. There are no video games that will require the amount of video bandwidth that component-video provides, and you'll see no difference in the quality of video from your video games if you use an S-video connection for them. HDTV and progressive-scan DVD players require component-video connections ... video game consoles don't.

Switching more than two Component-video sources to feed the TV set will require an external switch-box, unless you can spring for a "flagship" receiver that offers 3 such inputs on it's backside.

Hope this helps you
    X-Box has capability for 1080i and Gamecube has 480p. Both require component cables and with a 36" Trinitron Direct View there is a definite difference in the picture.

Thread Information