Forum Regular

Viewing HD channels with UHF antenna???

Hey guys, I read somewhere that you can pick up local channels in HD with a UHF antenna? Anybody know anything about this? How does it work and what do I need to do to get it?? Any info would be great!

Tain't no big thang.

If your local channels broadcast in HD, it's done on a UHF channel. All you need is a HDTV with a built in ATSC tuner and a decent UHF TV antenna. Most current rooftop TV antennas already have these built in.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Go to above site and type in your address and ZIP. It will provide you will a list of off air digital channels. I kept 5 channels out of 7, adn they all come in crystal clear.

AS MarkW mentioned, but sure that your TV has a built in HD tuner.

Peace,

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Go to above site and type in your address and ZIP. It will provide you will a list of off air digital channels. I kept 5 channels out of 7, adn they all come in crystal clear.

AS MarkW mentioned, but sure that your TV has a built in HD tuner.

Peace,
    If your TV doesn't have a built in tuner, you need a HD reciever to decode the signal and then send the decoded signal to your TV. They can run about $50. Or, if you have sat, your HD reciver (if you have one) should have an input for HD off-air signals. Thats how I get my locals in HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    If your TV doesn't have a built in tuner, you need a HD reciever to decode the signal and then send the decoded signal to your TV. They can run about $50.
    To start off, you need an ATSC (digital) tuner to get an OTA digital signal, but not all ATSC tuners are capable of outputting a HD signal.

Much like all spiders are bugs but not all bugs are spiders.

I did a scan for a standalone HD tuners a few weeks ago and they all seemed to come in well over $200. A "digital" (ATSC) tuner (not HT) is a bit less.

I could always be wrong and welcome any other options.

Forum Regular

Atsc

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    To start off, you need an ATSC (digital) tuner to get an OTA digital signal, but not all ATSC tuners are capable of outputting a HD signal.

Much like all spiders are bugs but not all bugs are spiders.

I did a scan for a standalone HD tuners a few weeks ago and they all seemed to come in well over $200. A "digital" (ATSC) tuner (not HT) is a bit less.

I could always be wrong and welcome any other options.
    My brother just picked up a dvd recorder at wal-mart with a ATSC tuner built in, I wonder if it puts out HD, he does not have a hd tv to try it out on. The reason i wonder about it is because i have a HD ready tv only, And for now im useing a dish 621 hd receiver for my OTA signal, If i ever get in to a hell of a fight with dish, which im sure some day i will and tell them to come a get there stuff will something like my brother has work for OTA signal.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by s dog
    My brother just picked up a dvd recorder at wal-mart with a ATSC tuner built in, I wonder if it puts out HD, he does not have a hd tv to try it out on. The reason i wonder about it is because i have a HD ready tv only, And for now im useing a dish 621 hd receiver for my OTA signal, If i ever get in to a hell of a fight with dish, which im sure some day i will and tell them to come a get there stuff will something like my brother has work for OTA signal.
    A STANDARD DVD recorder can't give you a hidef recording, but a hidef converted
    to standard can give a better recording.
    I have the line in on my DVD recorder hooked to my cablebox, the recordings always look better than OTA off of my DVD tunrer.
    I doubt if you could watch the hd tuner on your DVd player on HDTV, but I don't have much experience with these hybrid deals (zero as a matter of fact)
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information