AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Where are all the high-end Clock Radios?

I've been searching for a good clock radio for a long time now, and there really seems to be a huge lack of high-end options in the marketplace.. The only two I've found that are even worth considering are the Nakamichi SoundSpace 3, and the Boston Acoustics Recepter. Even the Nakamichi seems to be pretty hard to find these days-- If anyone has any options to add to this very short list, or if you have any feedback on either of these two products, I'm all ears, as I'm ready to throw my "Dream Machine" right out the window--

Forum Regular

Wave Radio?

Hopefully I don't get flamed for this, but have you tried the Bose Wave Radio? It is expensive, but it does sound nice. At least go to a Bose store (if you have one near you), and try it out. I have one in my bedroom (granted I didn't pay full price), and it does have a good sound...not hi-fi, but pretty good for something that small. And it has a lot of nice extra features, like dual alarms, etc.

- Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Invader3k
    Hopefully I don't get flamed for this, but have you tried the Bose Wave Radio? It is expensive, but it does sound nice. At least go to a Bose store (if you have one near you), and try it out. I have one in my bedroom (granted I didn't pay full price), and it does have a good sound...not hi-fi, but pretty good for something that small. And it has a lot of nice extra features, like dual alarms, etc.

- Mason
    Did someone say the "B" word?

Uh-oh....

While you're at it, Cambridge Sound Works (www.hifi.com) has a few interesting items. I have their Model 88 and love it as a table radio. It's been discontinued and replaced but the replacment has alarms and a clock, where the 88 did not. It's available with or without a CD player.

Als, Tivoli has some interesting items as well. Check these out www.AudioAdvisor.com

Forum Regular

Tivoli

The Tivoli is the best looking one you will ever find. Analogue clock and all. I have a Proton, which has amazing performance, but I believe discontinued.

CSW Model 88 & Henry Kloss Model 3

yeah I actually looked at both of these, they both look pretty cool (especially the tivoli) but I wasn't too sure how they'd be as a replacement for an alarm clock, i know they both have alarm clock functions but it didn't seem like they were really designed for that to be it's primary use.. I was also especially concerned with the ability to read the model 3's analog clock at night.. is it illuminated well? I really couldn't tell in the store... does anyone use either of these as their daily alarm clock?

Forum Regular

proton

I have had the Proton Clock radio since about 1988. It has been great. Awesome sound (4 watt amp), bass and treble controls. The best two features are the ramp up (the alarm/radio starts quiet and the increases) and the auto dimmer (the display dims when it is dark). I have no intention of ever replacing mine. The current model is on Amazon for about $95.

proton

i've read a few reviews of the proton that claim it emits a low buzzing noise even when it's off- i could see this being very annoying as i have my clock radio right by my head- do you hear a buzzing or humming in yours?

Forum Regular

no humming

After all these years, never hummed. Mine does have the older analogue tuning, not digital. I would buy one from an Amazon type merchant, and if it hums, send it back. Just me, though. The Tivoli is definetly better looking, though.

Clock Radios

I have the Boston Recepter Radio, it has a warm and detailed sound, the "Boston Sounf". I also have the Bose Wave Radio, it offers rich and room filling sound. So, for a nightstand application, I would pick the Boston Recepter. For a bigger, room filling sound, I choose the Bose. They are both premium radios and world class. This is the truth.

Thread Information