Music industry moving towards shorter album lengths?

I'm not registered with the L.A. Times, but I have seen the entire article posted on other sites. I won't do that myself, there are copyright issues, but the gist of it is that they're looking at making albums shorter. I've been saying for awhile that the one or two great tracks on so many albums tend to get lost amidst the filler, so I look at this as a definite step in the right direction. The sense I get is that they're looking at it mostly from a dollars-and-sense point of view, more so than my take on it, but that's ok. I'll take any positive step in this regard. If anyone wants to see this article but doesn't want to register, PM me & I'll email it to you.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-music18nov18225421,1,1999328.story?coll=la-headlines-business

I don't like others.

Suspended

Just maybe

The industry should rethink the way record contracts are made. If I am a new band and get a deal for three albums based on my first one then I just pump out 2 more filler disks and the contract is fulfilled. Maybe they should not produce an album until a band has enough good tracks to fill it instead of just ripping us more. Are the prices going to reflect the fact that they are shorter? Or are we just going to get less for the same or more money? You are correct that alot of albums have only one or two good tracks.......my point exactly.

I could really go for shorter but cheaper albums. I've picked up a couple things like that fairly recently. I grabbed Kings of Leon for 6.99 and BRMC for 4.99, both new. 40-45 minutes is plenty of time for a record. Hell, that used to be standard, you could put 2 records on a 90 minute tape.

I'd kinda like to see more EPs sold cheaply. Maybe 4-5 song EPs for like 5 bucks or something. Especially with new bands, it would be a great way to sample their music.

I think more people would be interested in testing out new bands if you could grab something for the price of a drink. I guess that means country ones go for a buck a piece like those pony's of Pabst at the corner tavern.

Thread Information