AR Newbie Registered Member

Using a H/T Receiver as a temp Pre-amp

Hello everyone, my first post here, however; I've been visiting this site for many years and have enjoyed the reading!

Here is a slight "What I've Got"

Paradigm Monitor 7's V.2 Mains
    Polk Audio RM7500 Center and rears
    2- Infinity CMMD 10 inch 500watt subs
    Denon DVD-2910 (Using DVD-Audio and SACD all the time)
    RCA 56'' CRT hybrid (HD of course)
    Pioneer VSX-D912K 6 channel X 110 watts.
    Audioquest CV-8, Opti-link 5, Diamondback rca,s and HDMI-3 to DVI-3 all Audioquest cables.

Question I have is, I'm about to buy amps. Thinking of a Carver Cathedral-64 60X4 for the 4 rear channels, A Carver TFM-6Cb bridged to 200Watts for the Center. Or I may buy a nice 5 Channel for Center and rears in a 7.2 setup. And something like a B&K ST202 for the main Paradigms. I was just going to use my Pioneer receiver for the pre-amp until I can afford one I like.

So if I use the pre outs on my Pioneer will it still work as the DTS and Dolby Digital decoder? Or would I have to buy an outboard unit? I use digital for movies and anolog for 2 channel audio.

Thanks and I look forward to being a member!

Ok, here is the deal....

I am and was in a similar situation in which I had a NAD amp connected to the pre-outs for my surrounds and a Parasound for my mains. I could then switch my receiver to the CD input when playing 2-channel stuff and run the front speakers with the Parasound and that worked great. Back to the DVD or TV input for surround sound and no problems there either as all channels were driven with amps except the center channel. Yes, DTS still works.

However, I would seriously consider some other amps besides Carver. I think you can do much better and maybe buy a 5-channel amp. Right now on AudioAdvisor you can pick up a John Curl Designed Parasound 5-channel amp for 1K...that's a superb deal considering it was 2.5K originally. It's a huge beast too....about 85lbs worth of solid power!

Thanks Skies, I was also considering the B&K AV-6000 a 125X6 channel for all but the two mains. I'm on a tight budget or I'd love to buy that amp you recomended! I work for the government, while the pay is not bad, I have an agreement with the wife. I have to revert back to my mechanical skills and do side jobs on friends cars, or work overtime, which I don't like! Anyways I'm all over Ebay right now looking. I'd really like to get an Anthem, Acurus, B&K, Parasound, or Proceed amp. Just got to find it at the right price. My main focus right now is a nice 2-Channel that I can find often as I will want to Bi-amp later with identical amps. I think I may go ahead and bid on this B&K ST202.

So do you really like your Parasound? What mains do you have?

Forum Regular
    Temp yes,long term no.Adding an amp to a inexpensive reciever will make it louder,but not necessarily better,the processor plays a huge role in your sound.I second PS concerns over those amps,they are not the best.Do you value movies or stereo more?What do you dislike about your sound?

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Well I actually am trying to better the entire system, but for right now I'm going for the 2 channel. I used to be a installer for Listen Up Audio/Video in the springs. While I was there I relly liked working with the B&K stuff. I also delt with Classe, Rotel, Denon, Musical Fidelity, B&W, NHT, Velodyne, Runco, MC Intosh, Sony and Sonus Faber. I think for the money out of thoes brands the B&K was my fav.

So because I worked with these brands I know that I'm missing detail, crisp clean sound, Dynamics, a better sound stage. Just overall better sound that I'm missing with my Pioneer. For one thing I can't stand the slight hum from the Pioneer. I know it's not my cables! So anyways to answer you question, It's 2 channel I'm working on now.

I'll certanly keep an eye out for better amps when it comes to the surround system. So you guys think the B&K would be a good amp for the mains? Remember I can't go out buying "The Best". I have to settle for less! But am tired of the same old crap from Pioneer, Sony, Denon, Kenwood, Yamaha, you know, all the big name recievers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ch46eseaknight
    Well I actually am trying to better the entire system, but for right now I'm going for the 2 channel. I used to be a installer for Listen Up Audio/Video in the springs. While I was there I relly liked working with the B&K stuff. I also delt with Classe, Rotel, Denon, Musical Fidelity, B&W, NHT, Velodyne, Runco, MC Intosh, Sony and Sonus Faber. I think for the money out of thoes brands the B&K was my fav.

So because I worked with these brands I know that I'm missing detail, crisp clean sound, Dynamics, a better sound stage. Just overall better sound that I'm missing with my Pioneer. For one thing I can't stand the slight hum from the Pioneer. I know it's not my cables! So anyways to answer you question, It's 2 channel I'm working on now.

I'll certanly keep an eye out for better amps when it comes to the surround system. So you guys think the B&K would be a good amp for the mains? Remember I can't go out buying "The Best". I have to settle for less! But am tired of the same old crap from Pioneer, Sony, Denon, Kenwood, Yamaha, you know, all the big name recievers!
    B&K gets a lot of praise from various people, I just don't have any experience with that company, so I can't comment. However, for $850 or even less if you find a deal you could get something like I have for stereo....Parasound Halo A23 amp, which is a John Curl designed amp and delivers high quality sound at a great price.

All I can say is test out a few and see, if you get a chance to check out the Parasound than that's awesome...if you are buying blind I still think it's a great deal because there aren't too many people out there that have been dissatisfied with this amp under many different setups.

Mid-Fi
    Step by step. BK may be a pretty good next-step for your current gears. I would buy an AV5000 to work as 5.1 instead of getting 3 amps to run 7.2. Compare with 3 amp setup, you would get better HT performance, not worse 2-channel and save some bucks. Then save more $$$ to get a Pre-Pro, like B&K ref 20, 30, Lexicon DC1/2. Next step would be a good 2 channel amp for mains and put AV5000 for other channels(7 channels now). You may also consider upgrade main speakers before this.

PS and Bill are giving you good advices. they are saying if you can spend a little more, you can get a much better value piece. And it would be a piece you can stick much longer with.

Thread Information