Forum Regular

Maggie SMGs, wow!!!

Went over to a friends place the other night to listen to his newly acquired SMGs.

For speakers that only set him back NZ$500, and are 20 years old, were absolutely amazing. Definitely the best speaker, new or old, I've heard for that sort of money.

In the past I've not been a huge panel speaker fan. Early experiences with Maggies were very disappointing, wasn't impressed with Quad, Martin Logan I could probably deal with.

But I think I've been converted... My initial Maggie experience was in a less than ideal environment with the speakers placed probably in the worst position imaginable. To hear my friends little SMGs in a decently proportioned roomed with much better placement was mindblowing. And to think they only cost him NZ$500!!!

He got them for a steal and even though they are 20 years old, they literally look like they've just come off the production line. Surely nobody has had any luck like that in the past with any audio acquisitions...

Begs the question about larger and newer Maggies, hmmmm.

Congrats to your friend. Sounds like he found a great deal.
    What's he driving them with?
    And when are you getting some Maggies?
    The quest begins.....
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    He's driving them with Perreaux SX60m mono blocks. They actually do a pretty decent job considering they're only 60W a piece. Very deceiving given their small stature, they're about the size of a hardback book.

Hmmmm, with my first child on the way I don't see any money going into audio gear in the near future. But if an opportunity came along like this again, maybe I could convince the other half to allow the expenditure...

Quote Originally Posted by x-large
    He's driving them with Perreaux SX60m mono blocks. They actually do a pretty decent job considering they're only 60W a piece. Very deceiving given their small stature, they're about the size of a hardback book.

Hmmmm, with my first child on the way I don't see any money going into audio gear in the near future. But if an opportunity came along like this again, maybe I could convince the other half to allow the expenditure...
    Hey, those amps look pretty good. Maggies don't need a lot of watts, just plenty of Amps. And those babes seem to have them in spades. I bet that system sounds sweet.

Specs on those mono-blocks:

Rated Power Output: 60WRMS into 8Ω
    75WRMS into 4Ω
    Voltage Swing: 110.4Vp-p
    Input Sensitivity: 0.37VRMS
    Gain: 35.6dB
    Input Impedance
    Typically: 20kΩ
    Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N)
    Typically: 0.002% @ 1kHz into 8Ω
    20Hz to 20kHz: 0.006%
    Frequency Response
    20Hz to 20kHz: +0dB, -0.05dB
    5Hz to 60kHz: +0dB, -0.25dB
    Signal to Noise Ratio
    Rated Output (unweighted): 100dB
    Dimensions:
    Width
    Height
    Depth
    216mm (8.5")
    58mm (2.3")
    178mm (7.0")
    Weight: 2.4kg (5.3lb)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Yeah the specs look pretty good. The little blighters take you by surprise because they're so small. Very deceiving...

We're yet to find an amp that keeps up in the sub 150W bracket, even some bordering on 200W seem to struggle.

Maybe they're just a very dynamic amp, which gives them their big sound and the perception that they punch above their weight. Dunno...

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Hey, those amps look pretty good.

Yeah, just in case you were unfamiliar with Perreaux, the general opinion is: "Mmmmmmmaarrrggllllllllaaaaaaahhh.... Perreaux" ala Homer Simpson with tongue hanging out.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Forum Regular
    Haha, Homer... Anyone seen The Simpsons movie yet?

Listen to the MG12's and Q1.6's and you wont be disappointed. Alot of speaker for the money. They do sound better with 150w's of high current power though.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP