Forum Regular

Home Theater in a Box

Can you recommend a good home theater in a box system?

Nope.

Hi Bob

Welcome to AR,

No, I can not recommend a good HTIB system. Mostly because they all have compromises that I would not want to settle on. Companies who make good electronics don't normally make the best speakers. Ditto for the other way around.
    Also, sense this is most likely your first surround system, you will see once you have it that you'll want better and better sound. (just my guess at least)
    I think that you are better off getting a decent receiver (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer are just a few names to look for) and then picking up some bookshelf speakers & a sub. There are too many choices on these to go into right now.
    Try not to be in a hurry. Shop around for a while. A couple of weeks research now could make you happier for years to come.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    I have a good Denon Receiver, but the speakers are big and I want to get smaller ones. I have Paradigm Speakers but we are in the process of downsizing and the speakers have got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Nope.
    Could you shorten this reply a little? I got tired reading all the details.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by BobB
    I have a good Denon Receiver, but the speakers are big and I want to get smaller ones. I have Paradigm Speakers but we are in the process of downsizing and the speakers have got to go.
    I just bought a larger set of speakers from AV123.com. I love them. I have heard a lot of good reveiws on their smaller speakers as well. Would something like these be more in line with what you are looking for? Not sure what your budget is? Do you listen to more music or movies? What Denon receiver do you have?
    Check this link: http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=55

I built a fairly nice second system with an older Yamaha receiver and 6 JBL E20's. Cost was about $50 per pair for the speakers and would be about $200 for the receiver if I didn't get it free.
    Do you already have a DVD player?

Forum Regular
    I have the Denon 2800 receiver.

Forum Regular
    Hi GMichael; I looked over the website of av123. It is an extroadinary electronics outfit.

Forum Regular
    Bob, if you are considering a home theater in a box, look into the onkyo systems. They seem to be highly rated. They ususally give you a sub, satellites, center and a receiver.
    Explore C-Net, Circuit City and Crutchfield for reviews on the onkyo systems. However, I 2nd the nonination for GMichael's recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by kelsci
    Hi GMichael; I looked over the website of av123. It is an extroadinary electronics outfit.

Yeah, those little X-series speakers are being hailed as giant killers. I haven't heard them, but the Strata Mini's I just got in are fantastic. My guess is that dollar for dollar the X's are a better deal.

Thread Information