Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cultural Sound

nightflier

Cultural Sound

Well, we had some friends over for dinner last night and the conversation turned to audio. After a fairly heated debate regarding the cost of some gear, someone suggested that different countries have different tastes and that this is reflected in the gear that is produced there. Everyone decided to chime in with their own opinion on the matter ( please excuse any underlying bigotry in these comments, but theses where the more colorful suggestions):

- Japanese people prefer bright non-bassy gear, minimalist in size, but with lots of features
    - Americans don't know good sound at all and just want loud, boomy bass
    - The Brits prefer a laid-back dark sound with less midrange but an airy top end
    - The Germans prefer a very correct, fast, analytical and accurate sound without much bass
    - The Danes and Scandinavians like the German sound but with solid bass
    - The Canadians look for a sound that is completely accurate across the whole frequency, regardless of how it all comes together
    - The Irish and Scots will design the exact opposite of what the Brits prefer
    - The French prefer their bass tight and the top end rolled off

Along with similar comments about Russian, Chinese, and Italian designers, most of it probably exaggerated with stereotypical attributes from our own prejudices. And we were all discussing this after a few bottles of wine and a full meal, soliciting more the occasional chuckle than the undisputed truth of these hypotheses.

But this idea did get me thinking. Certainly we read snippets of these same sentiments in all the audio trade rags. And to be perfectly fair, culture does impart work ethic, attention to certain details over others, and most importantly, what people value in a product. In addition, a country's historical experience should impact how that society listens to, enjoys, and purchases audio equipment and music.

So is there such a thing as a "Canadian sound," a "German sound," a "British sound", or even an "American sound?"

Not to sure about electronics since I have pretty much owned only Japanese or American gear but ya , having owned English, American, Japanese and now Canadian speakers, I think that "some" speakers have a 'cultural" sound.

"The Canadians look for a sound that is completely accurate across the whole frequency, regardless of how it all comes together" . Yep, that's us Canucks, unassuming but have high standards.

I'll take my tongue outta my cheek now.
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 07-15-2007 at 07:15 PM.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    I agree that some speakers probably have a "cultural" sound if you could call it that. I like the british loudspeaker which does have a particular characteristic you certainly couldn't say there's a strong trend among speakers from any particular region IMO. Fun conversation though I bet, good one after a few too many drinks!

There's no doubt the Asian audiophile takes his/her listening very seriously, and I have to say in general they do have a very good 'ear'. They tend to focus on tone colour and such like, and a good many audiophiles in Asia levitate towards hgh effeciency horn/concentric driver/compression drive type speakers such as GRF Tannoys, JBLs, Altecs, Jensen Imperials and so on. This of course allows them to explore the very real magic of SET amps and older tube amps such as the Marantz 8B. These folks take audio very seriously indeed. Imagine building a 60ft folded horn into your house (Horn and Garden Magazine). The Asian market has realized just how good some of the older stuff is and have bought a lot of it up and shipped it to Hong Kong, China, Malaysia Japan etc. This has driven the price of the older stuff through the roof. I think this generalization about Asian audiophiles holds true for the most part.

I wouldn't agree with the bit about German audiophiles; what about Acapella's glorious speakers or einstein audio gear?

nightflier

British sound?

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    I agree that some speakers probably have a "cultural" sound if you could call it that. I like the british loudspeaker which does have a particular characteristic you certainly couldn't say there's a strong trend among speakers from any particular region IMO. Fun conversation though I bet, good one after a few too many drinks!
    So what is British sound supposed to be like?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    aits gote plentee of twaing on th' tope-end, guvnah

Suspended

j/k Bob...

Yeah, he left himself wide open for that one didn't he StickyBobby? Sorry dude, when I saw you refered to as StickyBobby I just lost it!

I've got B&W's all around the room but they're driven by a Yamaha, so I guess that makes me a mut?

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    ...StickyBobby??
    Only on the weekends and ya gotta wine me and dine me...baddabing baddaboom

It sounds like British speakers! They're snobby and have a haughty attitude.

nightflier
    What about that German sound? No bass, no air, no top end, but all business right down the middle? Mmmm, isn't that what sauerkraut tastes like?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I dunno guys - I'll pick on Canada because they have a few popular brands these days. I can put Axiom, Paradigm, PSB, Energy, Totem Acoustics, and Focus Audio side by side and I hear quite a variety in presentation.
    PSB, Axiom, and Paradigm are a tad similar in presentation, though I find Axiom and Paradigm a bit more on the bright side, and PSB a bit warmer, but without that upper/mid bass exaggeration
    Totem and Focus Audio have what I'd consider a more distinctively European sound - great bass, solid mid-range, not too forward, I guess in line with the Scandinavian description you provided. Nothing like Paradigm or PSB.
    Energy is maybe somewhere in the middle? I'm only familiar with their old Connoisseur line and the Veritas though.

I don't understand how something can sound "analytical". I've always felt the listener hears "analytically". Seems to be an almost derogatory word for a sound some people obviously enjoy a great deal

Maybe at one point in time there were some natural similarities in different regions. If Japan had a hot model, one would expect a few local competitors would attempt something similar.

Didn't' the US go through this with Boston Acoustics and the east coast sound?

I think it's less true now. It's more common to see European drivers in an American or Japanese designed speaker, assembled in China, for example. Globalization and all that.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    aits gote plentee of twaing on th' tope-end, guvnah
    ROFLMAO! Eew just maide me spew muy war-tuh own me monitah!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I dunno guys - I'll pick on Canada because they have a few popular brands these days. I can put Axiom, Paradigm, PSB, Energy, Totem Acoustics, and Focus Audio side by side and I hear quite a variety in presentation.
    PSB, Axiom, and Paradigm are a tad similar in presentation, though I find Axiom and Paradigm a bit more on the bright side, and PSB a bit warmer, but without that upper/mid bass exaggeration
    Totem and Focus Audio have what I'd consider a more distinctively European sound - great bass, solid mid-range, not too forward, I guess in line with the Scandinavian description you provided. Nothing like Paradigm or PSB.
    Energy is maybe somewhere in the middle? I'm only familiar with their old Connoisseur line and the Veritas though.

I don't understand how something can sound "analytical". I've always felt the listener hears "analytically". Seems to be an almost derogatory word for a sound some people obviously enjoy a great deal

Maybe at one point in time there were some natural similarities in different regions. If Japan had a hot model, one would expect a few local competitors would attempt something similar.

I think it's less true now. It's more common to see European drivers in an American or Japanese designed speaker, assembled in China, for example. Globalization and all that.
    Agreed on Canadian speakers. Axiom and Paradigm are similar (but not completely), PSB is definitely the warmer of the three and IMO a little less colored and Totem and Focus are (like you said) a very different sound from the rest and that's part of why I love my Totems.

I think a lot of these generalizations have gotten outdated (though perceptions and beliefs tend to linger well beyond the reality in the audio hobby), and the description of the "American" sound is particularly outmoded, because American speakers in particular would include everything from Bose to Vandersteen to JBL to Magnepan to NHT to Klipsch to Martin Logan to Avantgarde. Doubtful that any single description can universally apply to all of these American speakers. Just as I doubt that you can generalize what people in any country "generally" prefer.

I mean, if you're talking about the mass market, people will tend to gravitate towards what's inexpensive and sounds "good enough." Americans in general don't spend a whole lot on audio gear, and I suspect that this tendency would apply towards the rest of the world as well. As far as I know, audiophile-grade (or even so-called "mid-fi") components don't constitute the mass market in any country.

And among audiophiles, the debates that rage on this and other boards would tend to support the notion that there are a multitude of preferences and points of view that exist in the market.

Once upon a time, the British sound was regarded as "warm" with more of a rolled off high end. Some audiophiles regarded this as refined. I would better describe it as boring. To my ears, it sounded fine with acoustic music, but drained the life out of rock music.

The vintage B&W, KEF, and Mission speakers, among others, shared this general characteristic. Some people today still try to apply the "British sound" label, but I can tell you from first hand experience that today's B&Ws for example sound very different than the ones from 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Actually, it was more the "West Coast" sound vs. the "New England" sound. The West Coast sound was very much defined by JBL and its many imitators. At one point, the JBL L100 was the best selling speaker in the world, and it was derived from the 43XX which was the best selling studio monitor. No coincidence that a lot of the pop music recorded in the 1970s seems to sound optimal on vintage JBLs.

The "New England" sound came from companies such as Advent and KLH. (Some would also include the vintage Bose speakers in this group, since it tended to have less in the way of highs and lows compared to JBL and Cerwin Vega) It was more balanced and refined than the "boom & sizzle" sound of the West Coast speakers. Later on, newer New England companies like Polk and Boston Acoustics would tweak with the sound, and dial in a bit more punch into the New England sound.

These differentiations seem to have gone by the wayside, and the general characteristics of speakers (at least the conventional variety) are a lot more similar today than 20 years ago. I think in a way, modern research like Floyd Toole's NRC publications really contributed to narrowing the differences between speakers, and eliminating a lot of these geographic characteristics.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

nightflier

Well, but they are still widely used...

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    These differentiations seem to have gone by the wayside, and the general characteristics of speakers (at least the conventional variety) are a lot more similar today than 20 years ago. I think in a way, modern research like Floyd Toole's NRC publications really contributed to narrowing the differences between speakers, and eliminating a lot of these geographic characteristics.
    While they may be outdated, they are still widely used. John Atkinson, Robert Harley, Michael Fremer, are among those still using terms like these in their write-ups. I'm not saying they are the best source of information, but generally speaking there is still an expectation, if you will, of a particular cultural sound.

And perhaps there is some usefulness to it too. After all, when it comes to the language people use to describe hifi, it's not like a point of reference, however outdated, isn't needed. After all, how the hey does someone describe the a sound as having "air"? Are we talking cool air, stale air, hot air? Or are is actually physical air displacement? Maybe someone should write a dictionary/reference for audio terms, kind of like the hundreds of books on computer terms.

Red face

What about that German sound? No bass, no air, no top end, but all business right down the middle? Mmmm, isn't that what sauerkraut tastes like?
    Sauerkraut is pretty good

I personally was a "Krell" kinda guy. Big american macro dynamics with a lot of oompf, very much like a big old jbl kinda sound. A typical german equipment is like Burmester. It has a kick ass build quality, its a high quality finish but it sound harsh, edgy and cold. *kinda like i am in the morning.

I know prefer the sound of the "little" guys from the country side like Sphinx gear. Much more texture and tonality. Kinda like the asians get with their tube amp, but to me the Tannoys or high efficency speakers cant cut it, neither can minimonitors.

I need a big fat speaker that can be

1. American- Big bold and powerfull
    2. German- Precise and fast
    3. Asian- Colorful with lots of bloom and texture

I am not much a fan of "british" fuzzy sound

PS: I guess i am multicultural afterall
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

I think the american sound, as it was described in the first post, varies. I think american people who don't know anything about audio want to get the loud and boomy sound, just to impress because they have more bass and can go louder than the rest. But I think this will go for the rest of the wold too, people here in europe (and especially the young teenagers) think that 'quality' is defined in 'how loud it goes', which it isn't.
    btw, as wooch has already stated, you americans have alot of high end & good products there too. Look at thiel, or vandersteen, ML, wilson, Krell, MF, Mcintosh, ... endless list.

As for what I prefer: I very much like the sound of my advents, and like alot of the other high end american loudspeaker brands too. My current amp is japanese, but the next one will be american (a Mcintosh), my sources are japanese too (well, the cdp isn't entirely from japan) to take it in extremes, all my cabling is american too. I can appreciate the sound of a british speaker, but some of them can be extremely boring.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Forum Regular
    Disagree on the french sound,i have french speakers and the top end is not rolled off at all,in fact many people would call them bright.Not that familiar with their electonics however so i don't know if it carrys over.Kex is right however with globalization these days things are becoming blurred.In my system i have Canadian,British and French components and it seems to come together well.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Suspended
    It's pretty wild the way you guys describe sound... Very interesting. Maybe already answered, but how would y'all describe the sound characteristics of the B&W line I have?

Forum Regular
    I auditioned the 600 series before i bought my Labs 5 or 6 years ago and found them decent,good for movies,less so for music.I have heard that the 800 series are good speakers however.You may find that a different reciever would give you an improved sound,B&W are often found with Rotel gear for example.The better your speakers are the more unforgiving they are of other components in your system.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

British 'Fuzzy' Sound??? I guess the top models from Harbeth, KEF, Tannoy, Linn etc are fuzzy?? Millions would disagree. KEF for a start has sold millions of drivers, including those to other high-end speaker manufacturers - a helluva lot more than Dynaudio. Our logic may sometimes be fuzzy, Beckham's haircut is currently fuzzy and the number of days he'll actually play for the Galaxy is currently fuzzy, Posh Spice's brain is constantly fuzzy, we've even encountered the FuzzyWuzzies, but our speakers are not fuzzy - or did you mean fussy?
    Last edited by O'Shag; 07-19-2007 at 10:43 AM.

Millions of people eat McDonalds
    Millions of users use MS Windows
    Millions have died trough religious wars

Your point?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Millions of people eat McDonalds
    Millions of users use MS Windows
    Millions have died trough religious wars

Your point?
    okay then.
    Last edited by O'Shag; 07-19-2007 at 12:28 PM.

I joke that speakers from a region sound certain ways but I think we're becoming pretty clear that these stereotypes aren't very reliable

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I auditioned the 600 series before i bought my Labs 5 or 6 years ago and found them decent,good for movies,less so for music.I have heard that the 800 series are good speakers however.You may find that a different reciever would give you an improved sound,B&W are often found with Rotel gear for example.The better your speakers are the more unforgiving they are of other components in your system.

bill
    Thanks for your input Bill. A receiver upgrade is in my not-too-distant future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information