According to the connections guide:

1. I should connect my TV to AV/Receiver via IEEE 1394. However, I never selected IEEE 1394. Plus, does anyone still use firewire?

2. I should connect my set-top-box to both my TV and receiver via HDMI. No set-top-box that I know has two HDMI outputs.

3. The best audio output from my DVD Player is via HDMI, yet the best video output on my DVD Player is Component. Riiiight, that sure makes sense. I should also connect HDMI and Component out from my DVD to both my TV and receiver. Does your DVD player have multiple HDMI outputs?

I'd hesitate before recommending this to anyone

And turntables

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed
    According to the connections guide:

1. I should connect my TV to AV/Receiver via IEEE 1394. However, I never selected IEEE 1394. Plus, does anyone still use firewire?

2. I should connect my set-top-box to both my TV and receiver via HDMI. No set-top-box that I know has two HDMI outputs.

3. The best audio output from my DVD Player is via HDMI, yet the best video output on my DVD Player is Component. Riiiight, that sure makes sense. I should also connect HDMI and Component out from my DVD to both my TV and receiver. Does your DVD player have multiple HDMI outputs?

I'd hesitate before recommending this to anyone
    According to CEA, a turntable's RCA outputs are connected to the AVR's RCA input -- no mention of the likely need for a phono preamp.

More technically inclined

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Thanks, PAT.P,

That's a pretty good newbie guide -- flaws aside.

For those with a more technical need or inclination, here's a link to Rane's Sound System Interconnection Guide ...

Suspended
    I think that website is more tailored to the novice (I.e. a wider audience than the more advanced user found here @ AR). I only went two pages into it and that's the impression I got. Pat.P, go to antennaweb.org (also a CEA site) for OTA antenna selection and placement.

Thread Information