Big Fresh

Rear in-celing speaker direction.

Hey everybody. My parents have an in-wall / in-ceiling speaker setup for their home theater. The rear speakers are mounted on the ceiling about 4 feet behind the listening position and about 9 1/2 feet above the floor. The speakers (Jamo 6.521K4) employ a unique design with the midrange and tweeter facing perpendicular to the woofer. (You can see the speakers at: http://www.jamo.com/Default.aspx?ID=...roductID=16857.)

My question: which speaker array should face what direction? Currently the tweeter and midrange arrays are directed toward the listeners, but should I rotate them 180 degrees so the woofer faces toward the listeners? If I can provide more information, I would be happy to do so.
    Receiver: H/K AVR 325
    Mains: Polk RTi-38
    Center: Polk CSi-30
    Surrounds: Polk FXi-30
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-isd
    TV: Panasonic TH-C46FD18

this should be determined by rotating the speaker and doing listening tests. Because of their unique design, it seems they were designed for the front array (front L/R and C). For the rear, you generally want a diffuse surround...meaning you cannot determine where the sound is coming from. The woofer doesn't matter...no matter where it faces you cannot locate it. The highs/mids do matter.
    I'd start with the highs/mids facing away from the listening position....run some music and/or movies and listen. Then, rotate them 180 degree and redo the same music/movies sequence and see what sounds best. If your into this type of stuff, i'd rotate them 45 degrees each demo and continue until i found the best sound.
    Let us know what you found.

Forum Regular
    I seriously doubt it will make any substantive difference. Being in the ceiling, they will be facing straight down. I can't imagine the 1" - 2" difference in location making much of a difference when installing in a ceiling. If the ceiling was vaulted, I would orient them with the tweeter and mids on top.
    Last edited by brulaha; 06-14-2007 at 09:05 PM.

from the description, you mentioned the tweeter and midrange arrays are facing the listening position. If this is true, the rotation does matter.
    If they are facing the listening position they will sound more localized...if you face the away they will sound unlocalized.
    I suggest you try both.

Big Fresh
    Thanks for your opinions. I continue to welcome more advice. Because they are high in the ceiling and not adjusted as easily as most speakers, I was trying to gether all advice before actually deciding to adjust them.
    Receiver: H/K AVR 325
    Mains: Polk RTi-38
    Center: Polk CSi-30
    Surrounds: Polk FXi-30
    Subwoofer: SVS PB10-isd
    TV: Panasonic TH-C46FD18

If you have some walls near (side or rear), try to aim the tweeters to reflect off of them. This will give diffuse and the sound will bounce, (so to speak).

Good Luck.

Thread Information