DPM

Isildurs Bane: Mind Volume 4 & car stereos

I must say that, after the first couple of listens, I wasn't too impressed with the new Isildurs Bane disk. But you know, I never seem to learn my lesson. Never use the car stereo for first exposure to anything prog related. For now I find that, after running Mind Volume 4 through the big rig at home, I like this new CD. It doesn't blow off Mind Volume 1, but it certainly is a respectable attempt at creating something different from what they've done before. So, after three exposures I give Mind Volume 4 a 7 out of 10.

Getting back to the car stereo thing, has anyone else experienced the same thing where a CD just doesn't connect until you really sit down at home and LISTEN?

Dave M

Breaking in new music with the car stereo is not a good idea. Too many distractions. Can't concentrate fully on the music.

Home rig is where I do my critical listening. I do listen to a lot music at work on the boom box but there are stilll distractions and the sound quality out of that box isn't what I would call stellar. Got to keep the volume down low too.

My commute to work is only ten minutes and I drive a company vehical anyhow. It's only got a radio and that's turned off most of the time anyhow. My local radio stations suck and blow at the same time.

I'm gonna order Mind vol 4 very shorly here. Only place that I could find it was at waysidemusic.com and I've never ordered from them before. Lasers Edge doesn't have it. Where did you find your copy?

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DPM
    Getting back to the car stereo thing, has anyone else experienced the same thing where a CD just doesn't connect until you really sit down at home and LISTEN?
    I had that experience with No-Man. Demetrio and BarryL both spoke very highly of this band. So I borrowed a couple of disks from BarrryL for a listen. I spend a couple of hours, at least, in my car every day, so that is where I do most of my listening. I spun both disks and was so bored that I couldn't get through either one of them. I thought, "what the hell are Barry and Demetrio thinking?!"

Then, a couple of Sunday's ago I threw one of the disks on my home stereo to have some non-distracting Sunday morning background music and the music came alive! Now I'm really enjoying No-Man. But, I won't listen to it in the car again.

I agree that previewing music in the car is not good for all the same reasons.

While Isildurs Bane has a few tracks that work in the car, most of their music is too soft and low key to overpower the road noise. Haven't heard this new album, but their other albums just aren't car toons. Ditto stuff like Anglagard or Siggi Ros.

The car IS my favorite place to listen to some favorite music though. Well, not on local roads, but on a road trip where you can listen to music uninterrupted for a few hours, the experience can't be beat.

I've tried No-Man in all kinds of places and it just doesn't happen for me.

DPM

Where I purchased Isildurs Bane

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenH
    Breaking in new music with the car stereo is not a good idea. Too many distractions. Can't concentrate fully on the music.

Home rig is where I do my critical listening. I do listen to a lot music at work on the boom box but there are stilll distractions and the sound quality out of that box isn't what I would call stellar. Got to keep the volume down low too.

My commute to work is only ten minutes and I drive a company vehical anyhow. It's only got a radio and that's turned off most of the time anyhow. My local radio stations suck and blow at the same time.

I'm gonna order Mind vol 4 very shorly here. Only place that I could find it was at waysidemusic.com and I've never ordered from them before. Lasers Edge doesn't have it. Where did you find your copy?

Darren
    I purchased my copy of Mind Volume Four from Greg Walker at Synphonic.8m.com. He's a good guy. I've placed several orders with him now.

Dave M

Quote Originally Posted by DPM
    I purchased my copy of Mind Volume Four from Greg Walker at Synphonic.8m.com. He's a good guy. I've placed several orders with him now.

Dave M
    I went ahead and ordered from Way Side Music. Very similar to Lasers Edge in both website design and ordering proceedure. Both have the exact same merchandizing software.

That's cool, another source for music is always welcome in my books.

Darren
    Let the midnight special shine a light on me.

Thread Information