AR Newbie Registered Member

amplifier vs preamplifier Im confused

Right!! what is the difference between a amplifier vs pre-amplifier ? like why do u need a pre amp for vynil?? why wont the power amp boost the signal, afterall its an amplifier right,
    help???
    Cheers
    R

Suspended
    I believe you're talking about two different types of preamps a phono preamp used for turntables and a component preamp. The purpose for a component preamp is to provide connections for multiple sources, provide volume control since many amps don't have them, connections for signal processors and to provide tone controls.
    I believe you're talking about a phono preamp. You can use only a turntable connected to an amp, but many phono cartridges don't have enough output and requires an additional boost from a phono preamp to bring the signal to line level. Many component preamps have a phono preamp built into them.
    An amplifier usually only amplifies the signal from the source and provides output protection for your speakers. Some provide volume control.

Forum Regular
    A power amp is designed to take a voltage source in the range of (usually) one to two volts (also known as "live level) and amplify it to the level needed to power speakers. Most stand-alone power amps do not have (or it isn't user friendly) a volume control nor do they typically have switchable inputs for a variety of music sources.

A preamp does a couple of things. First it allows you to easily select from multiple music sources - tuner, phono, CD, tape, etc. Second, it will boost the signal to the level needed by the power amp. A typical turntable needs such a boost. Third, it'll provide you a convenient way to adjust volume.

If the power and pre amp are combined into a single unit, this is called an "integrated" amp. Also, If your music source provides a standard "line level" output voltage and also contains a volume control, you can bypass the preamp. In my system I go directly from a Squeezebox/DAC to the power amp. Having no preamp works fine for me since I have no other regular music source.

aahh!! i see, thanks for the info guys, thats cleared a few thing up. cheers again

I hope bfalls' reply is enough to answer your question. That post is quite comprehensive. I couldn't think of anything else to add.

Quote Originally Posted by orangemuse
    I hope bfalls' reply is enough to answer your question. That post is quite comprehensive. I couldn't think of anything else to add.
    Then why even bother replying?
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

In addition...

...to providing boost to your moving-magnet type cartridge's output, a phono pre-amp also provides RIAA equalization to the signal, boosting the lows and attenuating the highs...Without EQ it will sound like cr@p...

For a moving-coil cart, an additional head amp is required to boost the MCs even lower output to the required level in order to input it to a phono-pre which further amplifies/EQs to line level...two stages of boost required...You can go head-amp to phono-pre to pre-amp/control center or simply look for a combined unit that is switchable for either MC or MM-type carts and plug it right into a line-level input...

jimHJJ(...now aren't you sorry you asked...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    Then why even bother replying?
    I think it's funny when a persons question is answered and they have commented on how they got the info that they requested that people still respond.

Pot, meet Kettle.
    Kettle, pot.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Pot, meet Kettle.
    Kettle, pot.
    To whom are you referring?

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl
    If your music source provides a standard "line level" output voltage and also contains a volume control, you can bypass the preamp. In my system I go directly from a Squeezebox/DAC to the power amp. Having no preamp works fine for me since I have no other regular music source.
    I have read though, that for example connecting a CD player direclty to a power amp is dangerous because it can produce spikes that could damage, not the amp, but your speakers.

What do you make of this?

Thread Information