1 speaker 2 channels

got here is what I got:
    one 4 ohm speaker
    one stereo power amp

if I hook up both positives to the speakers positive and both negatives to the speakers negative, what load will the amp see per channel, and what harm if any will this do to any equipment?

notes: the speaker is one voice coil, and the amp does not bridge.

Thanks,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by aevans
    what harm if any will this do to any equipment?

if the speaker is not bi-amp able, it would most likely go like 'KABOOM'

If, however the speaker is bi-amp able, it would work that you'd connect one channel from the amp to the first pair of connectors , and the other channel of the amp to the other pair of connectors, don't forget the jumpers though...
    and it would be best to cross the channels, so the one channel will do the high freqs and the other will do the lows.

but actually, what are you trying to do? is the speaker for a center channel in a HT or so? or are you just going mono...
    in both ways, you could get a second speaker, and stack them (in case of the mono option) or you could use the second speaker as a rear center (in case of the surround thing) or you could use the 2 speakers as a big center channel...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

not bi-ampable - this is a subwoofer, I'm trying to find in my collection an amp that will work with it. closest thing i've got is a sterio amp that does not bridge.

are you sure it would pop the speaker, if so you got any idea why?

I would think possibly, some type of bad mojo for the amp, with signal feedback or something.. but the speaker is just a transducer, it's just going to move around a little based on the power it is getting across the coil, just like normal.

I'm neither a technicinn, not do I play one on TV, but

Amps don't like being played with like that and there is no guarantee it will fry the amp, but the odds are against you. You were well advised that you may be tugging on superman's cape by trying this.

But, of course, nobody is preventing you from trying it out for yourself.

well, I'd just like to understand it a little more before pulling the trigger, I don't have any "cheap" equipment to test this on.. I did find some interesting stuff about making stereo amps bridgable, but it involves modifications, and I can't really follow what they are talking about.

I found a better amp, this one is sort of bridgable, it uses 2 balanced inputs rcas, so through some very horible use of y-connectors and a phase switch inbetween I should be able to get it to bridge with stereo inputs.

something like:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

if you bridge, a stereo amp becomes a mono amp, so I think there is something wrong with the drawing you made there...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Forum Regular
    Just run the passive sub off one channel of the amp.Would that not work,i seem to remember using a similar set up years ago.
    bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    if you bridge, a stereo amp becomes a mono amp, so I think there is something wrong with the drawing you made there...
    the amp is not really bridgeable, but it can work as a monoblock when feed balanced rca inputs.. banaced rcas use the outside sheilding(negative) as ground and the have real positive and negative running over two seperate center posts.

it basically takes the ideas behind an xlr cable and makes it work(better IMO) over a pair of stereo rcas.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    Just run the passive sub off one channel of the amp.Would that not work,i seem to remember using a similar set up years ago.
    bill
    I don't really want the amp sitting with a sideways load, although it is class a, so it doesn't really matter it's running full throttle all of the time anyway.. I just don't like the idea of it, allthough it would work.

bridging would use two amps to create a greater voltage potential across speaker... theoretically twice the voltage potential... Watts = Voltage*Voltage/Impedance ... so by doubling the voltage, you are quadrupling the wattage..

doing your method of using two channels at theoretically the same voltage potential across the speaker...
    this method, theoretically, would decrease the load on each channel, as the current would be split equally between the two channels... (not giving more power, rather, splitting the power between two channels)

the problem in this... the two channel's outputs would not be exactly equal...
    pending the specific output stage of the amplifier channels, this could cause one channel to carry greater than 50% of the load, ... or (a bad option) possibly current flow from one channel to another...

my suggestion...
    use one channel / voicecoil on your sub... or get a bridigable amp and bridge it correctly...

edit: new suggestion... get a dayton sub amp from parts express...
    they work great!!! (I have the 1000Watt rackmount amp and it is very nice!!!)
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Forum Regular
    Is there a mono button on the amp? If so, I would use one channel and set the amp to mono. If there's a balance knob, point it all the way to whatever side you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    edit: new suggestion... get a dayton sub amp from parts express...
    they work great!!! (I have the 1000Watt rackmount amp and it is very nice!!!)
    +1 for that

the dayton will blow your swans away...
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

fly little birdy

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    +1 for that

the dayton will blow your swans away...

you have doubts about the big birds? they are giant aquatic winged woofers of prey and they have served me very well.. very very smooth response, something that you just can't get from a "subwoofer" which when broken down defines the catagory as less than a woofer...

I'm not looking for "bass slam" or any of that new fangled lingo for sloppy over done poopoo bass.

yeah I know I'm not using the right tool, but I've always said that if you don't have a hammer to drive a nail just use some channel locks, or a rock, or your hand.

take a look at the plot:

orange line is the swan in the mains, the red one is the bandpass swans.. fills the gap just perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

reread this one.. looks like I got confused for a little bit.. I thought you were talking about a speaker recommendation..

As for the amp, I've got some class a for it.. I was going to run the swans in parallel, but I'm just going to drive it as 2 8 ohm loads on the stereo amp.

kind of a new topic, but whats the recommendation you guys have for biamp or monoblock? which is prefered?

I like the channel seperation I get with the monoblock, but the subs may cause impedence jumps all over the place with the bandpassbox.. not that the amp can't handle it, but that the highend may take a slight hit.. I guess I could try them both out and see which one works best... let me know what you think.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Much better, if you'll get a bi-amp able. That pretty much solves the problem.

Thread Information