Which CD Player?

Hi All!
    I've upgraded my intergrated NAD Amp with a seperate Power Amp(Krell KAV-500) and Pre Amp(Krell KSL-3) and I've listened to my CDs but i wonder if there is a better CD Player than the one i've got for under $2000, second hand.

I have a Marantz CD6000 ose KI Signature and listen to all types of music.
    Rega Planar 3 Turntable
    Denon TU-260 II Tuner
    Yamaha KX-580 SE Tape
    Marantz CD6000 KI CDP
    Krell KAV-500 Power Amp
    Krell KRC-3 Pre Amp
    Krell Studio DAC
    Krell KAV 300 CDP

Red Rose 'Spirit' Bookshelf Speakers

Chord Cobra 3 Interconnects
    Hovland Gen 3 Balanced XLR Interconnects
    Chord Chameleon XLR Interconnects
    IXOS XHD608-100 Digital Coax Interconnects
    Chord Odyssey 2 Speaker Cables

Suspended
    I haven't heard anything except entry level Marantz players. I do have a Krell 280cd for sale and under $2k. I can't remember what price I posted here. The unit sold new for $3,250.00. I have the original box, manual, remote and the unit is in great shape. The 280cd has balanced circuitry and outputs. Email or PM if you are interested and I will shoot you a price or just make me an offer. The 280cd is a great player. When I converted to tubes, the Audio Note just had better synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I haven't heard anything except entry level Marantz players. I do have a Krell 280cd for sale and under $2k. I can't remember what price I posted here. The unit sold new for $3,250.00. I have the original box, manual, remote and the unit is in great shape. The 280cd has balanced circuitry and outputs. Email or PM if you are interested and I will shoot you a price or just make me an offer. The 280cd is a great player. When I converted to tubes, the Audio Note just had better synergy.

Hi, Mr Peabody, regretfully i would have to decline your offer as i presume you are in the USA. You CD player wouldn't work in the UK?
    Rega Planar 3 Turntable
    Denon TU-260 II Tuner
    Yamaha KX-580 SE Tape
    Marantz CD6000 KI CDP
    Krell KAV-500 Power Amp
    Krell KRC-3 Pre Amp
    Krell Studio DAC
    Krell KAV 300 CDP

Has anyone tried the NAD C542?
    Rega Planar 3 Turntable
    Denon TU-260 II Tuner
    Yamaha KX-580 SE Tape
    Marantz CD6000 KI CDP
    Krell KAV-500 Power Amp
    Krell KRC-3 Pre Amp
    Krell Studio DAC
    Krell KAV 300 CDP

Suspended
    I have owned the C542 for about 8 months now, and I love it. However, the only basis of comparison that I have are DVD players (Toshiba, Panasonic) that I used for double duty. The C542 does get excellent reviews in the audio rags as well as forums like this one, and for the price ($399 from DMC Electronics, discounted for cash) I doubt that I could have done much better.

Happy Hunting!

Just purchased a Sony DVP-NS9100ES for $1300. I'm still in the test phase comparing it to my old player. It definitely plays louder but I haven't been able to determine for certain if it's significantly better than my other player or just has a higher gain. I think however that the lower freq. are improved significantly cause I'm getting output readings of 110 dbs 'C' weighted with cd's and its not distorted I only got this kind of reading previously with sacd's on my old player. With cds it would've sounded harsh at 100 dbs 'C' weoghted with my other player.
    Also you may want to check out the new Samsung Blue-Ray player for $1000 cdn. It plays many formats as well as Blue-Ray. I almost went for it myself, but my heart was on the Sony 9100.

Suspended
    In my opinion the NAD may be a fine player in it's class but not up to the same quality as your Krell gear. In the UK I'd recommend a Naim CD player which should have good synergy with your system. You may have noticed with your turntable that Krell's sound has a type of weight to it. Some players don't quite mix. For instance, I had an Alpha 9 back when I started getting into Krell, it's a fabulous machine but I eventually opted for the kav-250 because of the synergy. The Arcam wasn't bad, in fact, it may have even had a slight edge in detail but the Krell player gave the instruments more weight or presence, more like the Krell amp I was using. It's hard to describe, the single ended players just sounded thinner where the Krell was more realistic and robust.

On the other hand, I did start using an Audio Note DAC on the front end of my Krell which gave up some of the robust presentation but the more natural sound of the AN was worth the trade. AN has a single box player than costs $2.5k U.S. The AN doesn't use filters and is a tube DAC. Although the output was single ended the sound quality was like no other CD player I've heard. It was very natural and able to provide my ears with more micro and Macro dynamics. Voices sounded more like a voice than some how reproduced. It would have to be something you just heard to see which you prefer, the AN didn't have the impact of the Krell player, 280cd at this time, nor did it have as large a sound stage.

Some say Meridian is very good. The players I heard were good but I've never heard them mixed with Krell.

Before you buy into all players do about the same and diminished returns propaganda that gets spewed here a lot, you should at least hear a high quality player on the front end of your system. I guarantee, you should be able to tell the difference with your Krell.

Hi Mr Peabody and thank you for your advice. I've had a quick look and found a couple of CDP:-
    DENSEN B 400 XS
    NAIM CDX2
    NAIM CD5X

Has any one had any experiences with these players

Thankyou
    Rega Planar 3 Turntable
    Denon TU-260 II Tuner
    Yamaha KX-580 SE Tape
    Marantz CD6000 KI CDP
    Krell KAV-500 Power Amp
    Krell KRC-3 Pre Amp
    Krell Studio DAC
    Krell KAV 300 CDP

http://www.simaudio.com/moonequinox.htm
    ~$2200 US new, and I have seen on audiogon & ebay for <$1500 US

I believe they have versions for Europe power...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by quad121
    Hi Mr Peabody and thank you for your advice. I've had a quick look and found a couple of CDP:-
    DENSEN B 400 XS
    NAIM CDX2
    NAIM CD5X

Has any one had any experiences with these players

Thankyou
    Your from the UK and you havn't heard about the Rega players.Consider the Rega Apollo or the Rega Saturn

+1 for the regas, best cdp's in their budget range
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

has anyone compared the rega's and the simmaudio moon's ?
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Suspended
    I'd like to hear a Rega player. It would be interesting to compare one to an Arcam.

Forum Regular
    Dude,

There is nothing wrong with your CD player... You are bored and looking for 'the next cool toy'. Nothing wrong with that, its a male affliction - but if you are gonna' spend money, do it on something that is going to make a real difference;

1) Room acoustic treatment

2) Loudspeakers

Some bass traps and a set of planar or electrostats will make you smile a lot broader, for a lot longer - than a new - over-hyped / over-priced CD player.

Andrew D.

www.cdnav.com

Thread Information