Forum Regular

Rega P3 Motor Change

Hi folks. First job on my upgrade path is to change the motor on my Rega P3 Turntable. Has anyone had any experience of changing the motor on a newer style Rega P3 turntable. I have a technical article on how to do it for the older style turntables but I've got the 'better' motor already fitted, so it is only a change from 240V to 110V. Any help would be much appreciated.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Why are you considering changing the motor? I own a modded Rega Planar 2 and have considered the motor upgrade. I have always heard reports that the Rega's are more speed accurate with the 240V 50hz settings. Are you moving to an area with lower voltage. An incredible improvement is to replace the stock counterweight with the Michell Techno Weight and I would consider that before changing the motor.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I just read your introductory post where it says you hope to move to Canada. Now I understand the motor change.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    I also understand that due to the frequency change I may have to change the drive pulley as well. Hopefully I can get this all done before leaving the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D
    I also understand that due to the frequency change I may have to change the drive pulley as well. Hopefully I can get this all done before leaving the UK.

I just read the instructions to change motors on the Rega web site. They mention nothing about changing the pulley so your new motor should come with the appropriate one.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular

Rega P3 Motor Change

Just in case anyone else requires the info, I found this on another site:
    As far as changing the motor with the new ‘sticky pad’ fixing … should be easy enough, although quite tight, it will come away with no problems.

A 60hz pulley is required and should come with the motor kit. The best thing to do would be to change the motor … the pulley is such a tight fit that you would inevitably bend the shaft trying to remove it

The pulley is bonded on with a superglue type adhesive. It does work loose eventually as some motor oil makes it way up the shaft so with a bit of gentle persuasion you can normally ease it off. To fit a pulley you need to firstly clean any oil from the shaft with a solvent cleaner and apply a very small blob of superglue to the top of the shaft before fitting the pulley. Once you are sure you have the pulley fitted in the correct position it is a sensible precaution to switch the motor on so it spins for a while to ensure no glue has got down to the motor.

Thread Information