Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tranformers

Forum Regular

Tranformers

Has anyone taken a look at the trailer for this movie.It looks crazy as hell,I thought this might be a movie for kids when i seen the name transformers but after watching the trailers im not so sure about that. Looks like it could be a great action movie, But then, I have been fooled buy trailers before [example fantastic four BAD ] I think it would be great if we could have three top of the line movies in the same summer , Spiderman 3, Transformers, order of the phoenix, I can always hope.

Chances are that it will be rated PG-13, which I think is a wise move as most of the people who grew up with Transformers are now adults. Transformers was never really a kid-friendly show to begin with, in cartoon form it was a bit tame, but the original movie has swear words in it.

I have some minor hope in this new film as it will be live-action, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by s dog
    Has anyone taken a look at the trailer for this movie.It looks crazy as hell,I thought this might be a movie for kids when i seen the name transformers but after watching the trailers im not so sure about that.
    I had the same thought as well. I down loaded the HD trailer and I'm hoping this one pulls through. I may have to take a look at this one before I let my kid see it. He's just turned 8 and my wife and I are very cautious at what we let him view.

JSE
    Before watching the trailer I though it was going to be a "power ranger-ish" type movie but then WOW! This looks like it could be very cool. I hope it truly does have the darker action style the trailer eludes to.

Forum Regular

Tranformers

Quote Originally Posted by JSE
    Before watching the trailer I though it was going to be a "power ranger-ish" type movie but then WOW! This looks like it could be very cool. I hope it truly does have the darker action style the trailer eludes to.
    It would really be nice to see a good movie on the 4 of july [day off work].

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Yeah, I saw the trailer, can't wait...
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Keep in mind folks....

It would really be nice to see a good movie on the 4 of july [day off work].
    This sucker is being directed by Michael Bay, so it will be all show and probably very little story. This is the guy who did:

BAD BOYS I & II
    THE ISLAND
    PEARL HARBOR
    ARMAGEDDON
    THE ROCK

oh and the Lionel Ritchie video: DO IT TO ME!!!

I don't necessarily have HIGH HOPES for this film, but it will be interesting for sure. The money will definitely be ON SCREEN, but let's hope they pay the screenwriters for some good research into the characters and make this more than just an EYE CANDY event, although we all want that too!!!

I liked several of those movies. But admittedly, his chosen genre is mostly action. But then, that's kind of what I expect from the trailer.

No-one does a good car-chase scene quite like Michael Bay -- after seeing The Island, I have concluded that he is in my top 10 favourite car-chase scene directors, if not #1 or 2.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Car Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I liked several of those movies. But admittedly, his chosen genre is mostly action. But then, that's kind of what I expect from the trailer.

No-one does a good car-chase scene quite like Michael Bay -- after seeing The Island, I have concluded that he is in my top 10 favourite car-chase scene directors, if not #1 or 2.
    I did not care that much for the Island but as car chase scene go it does't get any better than that.I use it for a demo sometimes when i want to show of the HT system.

I did't care that much for the Island but as car chase scene go it does't get any better than that.I use it for a demo sometimes when i want to show of the HT system.
    Hmm.....I'll have to dust that one off and give it a run again.

wow did I ever hate that film...

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Hmm.....I'll have to dust that one off and give it a run again.
    The ISLAND.... it wanted to be THX 1138 so bad it isn't even funny, or maybe BLADE RUNNER meets LOGANS RUN meets THE FORTRESS. And the worst part of the film is when they meet up with Steve Buscemi's character and at this point the storyline is so bad and convoluted, yet anyone with a brain can figure it out, but just incase you are lost...no worries...they explain EVERYTHING in a very obvious and rediculous way to Steve Buscemi, so in case you can't follow the storyline up until this point, they purposefully wrote in a whole section of the film to explain things out. Talk about brilliant script writing...yawn.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    The ISLAND.... it wanted to be THX 1138 so bad it isn't even funny, or maybe BLADE RUNNER meets LOGANS RUN meets THE FORTRESS.
    Sorry, I gotta disagree. Although, I see where your coming from. I didn't like Bad Boys or The Rock . Armageddon was cute, but too cheesy. I was still in undergrad when those movies came out and I remember seeing them with my friends from home. I was terribly snobbish about those movies (not suggesting that you are being). I was at school being exposed to John Ford and Orson Welles. I thought that schlock was perfect for my buddies (I love those guys, but they are some low brow ****ers and I was the only one that went to college), but it wasn't for me. Then I saw Pearl Harbor and suddenly "got it." Pearl Harbor contrasted beautifully with Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line. Each showed a very different manner of presenting similar material in a pretty contemporeaneus (sp? ) time frame.

Since then I loved The Island and am looking forward to the Transformers. Bay was not trying to be nearly as cerebral as Blade Runner or Logan's Run, let alone THX 1138. While the similarity is obvious, they are all simply Rip Van Winkle stories anyway. To compare them is unfair and is comparing Creme Brulee to Dairy Queen Frozen Treat (R). Bay is perfect mix of high budget and low brow. Yes, the exposition to bring people up to speed is annoying, but what can you do? He's gotta put asses in the seats. Bay is certainly a controversial director that cinephiles love to hate, but I always wonder if alot of the haters are missing the point. I like to think of Bay movies as not what they are, but what they could be with just 10 minutes edited out to cut out exposition.

Oh, and Shia LeBeauf is genious casting.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Sorry, I gotta disagree. Although, I see where your coming from. I didn't like Bad Boys or The Rock . Armageddon was cute, but too cheesy. I was still in undergrad when those movies came out and I remember seeing them with my friends from home. I was terribly snobbish about those movies (not suggesting that you are being). I was at school being exposed to John Ford and Orson Welles. I thought that schlock was perfect for my buddies (I love those guys, but they are some low brow ****ers and I was the only one that went to college), but it wasn't for me. Then I saw Pearl Harbor and suddenly "got it." Pearl Harbor contrasted beautifully with Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line. Each showed a very different manner of presenting similar material in a pretty contemporeaneus (sp? ) time frame.

Since then I loved The Island and am looking forward to the Transformers. Bay was not trying to be nearly as cerebral as Blade Runner or Logan's Run, let alone THX 1138. While the similarity is obvious, they are all simply Rip Van Winkle stories anyway. To compare them is unfair and is comparing Creme Brulee to Dairy Queen Frozen Treat (R). Bay is perfect mix of high budget and low brow. Yes, the exposition to bring people up to speed is annoying, but what can you do? He's gotta put asses in the seats. Bay is certainly a controversial director that cinephiles love to hate, but I always wonder if alot of the haters are missing the point. I like to think of Bay movies as not what they are, but what they could be with just 10 minutes edited out to cut out exposition.

Oh, and Shia LeBeauf is genious casting.
    Slumpbuster...Thanks for your response and I appreciate you being able to give your viewpoint without attacking mine. I hope you take my response the same. I mean no disrespect. Unfortunately what I fear is happening and has been happening though is the 'dumbing' down of material in this day and age by mixing ...let's say high budget and low brow. I am entertained just as the next person when it comes to Michael Bay...movies like THE ROCK for example. I clearly don't put Michael Bay on the same level as Martin Scorsese, Brian DePalma, or other Auteurs of cinema by any stretch of the imagination. Bay is good at taking a huge project, huge amounts of money, and making a good show of it. My point though is that I am not expected much depth from this film, which it would be nice if we could have a bit of both as The Transformers could offer a good bit. Interesting that you brough up Orson Welles since he did do the voice in the Transformers movie (1986).

I enjoy movies like BLADE RUNNER that combine great effects, good story, acting, and thought. A movie like this would NEVER be made these days. It's far too patient, not enough action by todays standards, and makes you 'think' too much.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

This sucker is being directed by Michael Bay, so it will be all show and probably very little story. This is the guy who did:

BAD BOYS I & II
    THE ISLAND
    PEARL HARBOR
    ARMAGEDDON
    THE ROCK

oh and the Lionel Ritchie video: DO IT TO ME!!!

I don't necessarily have HIGH HOPES for this film, but it will be interesting for sure. The money will definitely be ON SCREEN, but let's hope they pay the screenwriters for some good research into the characters and make this more than just an EYE CANDY event, although we all want that too!!!
    I liked most of these. Sometimes it's fun to sit and watch a no-brainer. A little action and some eye candy never hurts my mood.
    I know, it doesn't make them classics. And most critics will poo poo them. But not everything has to be brilliant. Sometimes I even watch America's funniest videos. Now there's a no-brainer for ya.

I look forward to seeing Transformers. I'll just check my thinking cap at the door. (If I can find it)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I liked most of these. Sometimes it's fun to sit and watch a no-brainer. A little action and some eye candy never hurts my mood.
    I know, it doesn't make them classics. And most critics will poo poo them. But not everything has to be brilliant. Sometimes I even watch America's funniest videos. Now there's a no-brainer for ya.

I look forward to seeing Transformers. I'll just check my thinking cap at the door. (If I can find it)

Unfortunately what I fear is happening and has been happening though is the 'dumbing' down of material in this day and age...
    Two things:

#1 - don't blame one movie for what is happening in Hollywood in general (I.E. guilt by association);
    #2 - are you kidding? It actually had a story, and wasn't a lame remake. Yes, it fell neatly into that genre with those other movies you listed (and contained elements of several of them), but at least it had a decent story. Yes, it had elements of Blade Runner, but it was not Blade Runner, nor did it want to be. Michael Bay makes action movies. Your comments about patience are absolutely on point, yet you missed the point of The Island by not noticing that it exactly did not have those elements.

That said, it did require a certain amount of "suspension of disbelief" -- but I don't have a problem with that. Heck, Matrix is one of my favourite movies.

And no, I am not a Scarlett Johansson fanboy -- I'm not as smitten with her as many others on the net are (I've noticed). I do think she's hot, but I don't think she's the hottest babe ever. If anything, I'm a Michael Bay fanboy. Heck, other than using some of the same sound bites several times in some scenes, I even liked Bad Boys II.

s dog -- yeah, as soon as I finished watching the movie the first time I saw it, I "rewound" it to that scene and watched it again, just for the sheer enjoyment of that scene.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Two things:

#1 - don't blame one movie for what is happening in Hollywood in general (I.E. guilt by association);
    #2 - are you kidding? It actually had a story, and wasn't a lame remake. Yes, it fell neatly into that genre with those other movies you listed (and contained elements of several of them), but at least it had a decent story. Yes, it had elements of Blade Runner, but it was not Blade Runner, nor did it want to be. Michael Bay makes action movies. Your comments about patience are absolutely on point, yet you missed the point of The Island by not noticing that it exactly did not have those elements.
    1. I am not trying to put this movie on the spot, it just happened to be the one we were discussing. There are many other films causing this effect, it's a movement, not just one film. This is also certainly not the worse of that bunch either.

2. Nope. Not kidding. The story borrowed [see also stolevery poorly from movies that are much better than it. I cited them already and I think I made a good case for that. That being said, it's Michael Bay, i'm not expecting Jean Luc Godard here, but I still think that movies can still have dazzling effects and still have a great story that is timeless. BRAZIL, BLADERUNNER, STAR WARS, TERMINATOR, even THE MATRIX. Thought-provoking, yet high-energy at times and visually spectacular. THE ISLAND was nothing new in my book. It's also one of Bay's weaker films all around.

This all being said...I still have hope for THE TRANSFORMERS...I am not trying to bash Michael Bay...when he is on his game...he's good. His two best films would probably be THE ROCK and PEARL HARBOR.
    Last edited by PeruvianSkies; 04-17-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Since this has turned into a Michael Bay discussion, I'd like to throw in a few tidbits. I think Michael Bay has turned out some of my favorite scenes/sequences of all time. The bombing of the Missouri in Pearl Harbor comes to mind in particular. Although I have to say that the whole part with Josh and Ben fighting back in their fighters against the Zeros holds a special place in my heart because I was on set for some of that. Some other Bay scenes I like would include that chase scene in the Island, The Launch sequence in Armageddon, and even when Liv Tyler is saying goodbye to Bruce Willis.

With that being said, I also think his movies lack just a little bit here and there that prevents them from being great. He creates all these great parts, but somehow they don't fit together quite right. I've always thought this was because of his earlier work in commercials.

Anyway, I still have high hopes for Transformers. I am expecting, at the very least, a half decent action film.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

The Rock was an excellent action movie. Spielberg is the executive producer.. so i think it's going to be a little better than a typical Michael Bay flick. Transformers!!!! can't wait.

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I've seen the trailer, and man was it good! But of course, the pessimist in me wants to stop making such high expectations as there might be a slight possibility of the movie being bad.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    Movie was total eye/ear candy. Lots of little touches from the cartoon. Looked damn good in DLP. I enjoyed it and it didn't ruin my childhood for me, like Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles did. Now, I do think you have to remember that it was adapted from a cartoon, so it still carries some of those qualities.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

I liked "The Island" the most out of all the Bay movies. But I'm a sucker for that whole dystopian future "Logans Run" / "THX 1138" thing. And Scarlet. And the CA desert locations they used.

Bay doesn't have an original bone in his body, but he can make stuff blow up real good.

"The Rock" and "Armageddon" were good? Next you'll be telling me you liked "Con-Air" too, right? These movies pretty much sum up everything that's wrong with the industry today. Bloated, expensive to make, virtually no script and packed with incredibly large gaps in logic. It's garbage. Period. But if stuff blowing up real good is all you really need in a movie so you can show off your HT, knock yourself out. I just wish you (and most other people) insisted on wanting more from movies.

Transformers is from a generation younger than mine. I thought they were just crappy, stupid toys based of a poorly animated and infantile cartoon. Conceptually this movie looks incredibly obvious and juvenile. Then again, if you thought "The Rock" was great you'll probably love it.

Personally, I'm voting with my wallet on this. If you don't want more movies like this, don't go to see them.
    Last edited by Troy; 07-04-2007 at 08:52 AM.

OK boys and girls, I took my 17 year old and went to go see this flick. I'm not going to get critical about directing storyline or plot. But this is a great eye candy movie, good comedy, good action and good effects sound/visual
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Finally!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    OK boys and girls, I took my 17 year old and went to go see this flick. I'm not going to get critical about directing storyline or plot. But this is a great eye candy movie, good comedy, good action and good effects sound/visual
    A word from someone who's ACTUALLY SEEN THE MOVIE!!!!! Thank Recove....

Da Worfster

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    A word from someone who's ACTUALLY SEEN THE MOVIE!!!!! Thank Recove....

Da Worfster
    I know. This thread was started back in April. Have you noticed that Geico (I think) is using the transformers in their TV commercials? Marketing...

BTW, here's a little headline from my company's intranet site:
    Quote Originally Posted by Infolink
    DLP Cinema powers premiere of TRANSFORMERS at Los Angeles Film Festival
    Whaddaya think pixelsplease?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information