Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grindhouse

Forum Regular

Grindhouse

I wander if the theaters will charge more to get in because there are two movies.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Saw it last night - it was the normal fare (double features always were where I lived back in the day). What fun movie.
    This is one you have to see in theater. It's not as goofy as I thought (reminded me a lot of Army of Darkness/Evil Dead though) and has a lot of funny spots.

Two very different films - I liked the 2nd one (Tarantino's) better for the record but both were fun. Interesting concept - I can't help but think either could have been semi-successful stand alone films judging by what else was playing.

I suspect people already know if they'll like it or not - it's not a masterpiece, but 3 hours well spent!

Forum Regular

Grind House

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Saw it last night - it was the normal fare (double features always were where I lived back in the day). What fun movie.
    This is one you have to see in theater. It's not as goofy as I thought (reminded me a lot of Army of Darkness/Evil Dead though) and has a lot of funny spots.

Two very different films - I liked the 2nd one (Tarantino's) better for the record but both were fun. Interesting concept - I can't help but think either could have been semi-successful stand alone films judging by what else was playing.

I suspect people already know if they'll like it or not - it's not a masterpiece, but 3 hours well spent!
    Thanks for the info, I will have to get to the theater and check this one out.

Thanks M8

Gold Star for Kex... Good on ya...

Da Worfster

Saw it last nite.

Yow, it's a riot. I loved the bumpers and previews, the overall look and tone was right on the mark.

The first film "Planet Terror" was was the better of the 2 for me; an extremely grotesque and violent zombie flick. So badly acted, so poorly written, so utterly ridiculous, and (most important) so totally intentional, how could you not love it? The whole "missing reel" gag was brilliant.

The second film was Tarrantino's homage to 70s car chase, and women getting revenge flicks. To me, the production values were too glossy and the camera work too sophisticated to really feel like I was watching a bad 70s movie. Plus: WAY too talky. He spent far too much time on the first set of girls at the bar. I could have edited 20 minutes of that easy, maybe more and the pacing would then match the Rodriguez film. For me, it didn't really get moving until Stuntman Mike started driving the blonde home. That decapitating wreck was really graphic and horrifying. No audience laughter like the first movie for THAT gore shot. I loved the stunt girls, escpecially the Kiwi, (hey honey, I think that "Vanishing Point" is one of the greatest American movies ever made" too!). But again, WAY too much sitting around talking in restaurants and cars. The driving scenes were a gas, but "Deathproof" was 30 minutes too long.

I want to see "Don't", "Thanksgiving" and "She-Warewolves of the Nazi SS" next week!

Mutant from table 9
    My wife and I went to a Saturday matinee. It was great. We weren't able to decide which movie was better and ended up agreeing that it was unfair to compare them.

Also, as suggested by this article in Slate: http://www.slate.com/id/2163708?nav=tap3, neither movie is truely representative of real grindhouse. I've seen very little real grindhouse, maybe Superfly, I Spit On Your Grave, a fair amount of kung fu, because the majority of it truely is unwatchable.

Zoe Bell, the Kiwi, plays "Herself" according to the credits. She is Uma Thurman's stuntwowan from Kill Bill and one of Tarantino's new muses. They say very little CGI was used in Death Proof, which is tough to believe because some of those stunts just looked impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if CGI was used just to erase safety harnesses. It will be good fodder for the DVD special feature.

Also, from the "Tarantino Universe" it was nice to see Red Apple Cigarettes and Michael Parks playing Sheriff Earl McGraw in both Death Proof and Planet Terror, just as he did in Kill Bill and Dusk to Dawn. Did anyone else pick up on other self references?

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Hobo with a Shotgun, and Machete...nuff said.

I think most people will like the Planet Terror more than Death Proof. Not me, it was much more cerebral, and more "believable" I suppose. Yeah, I spent 20 minutes wondering what the heck was going on, but it got damn good real fast...patience, grasshopers.
    One cool guy at the back of the theater shouted out "THIS IS BORING". He got kicked out...hilarious.

One cool guy at the back of the theater shouted out "THIS IS BORING". He got kicked out...hilarious.
    Being bored while watching Grindhouse is natures way of saying "do not touch".

Kam
    i loved 'em both!! i'm a huge fan of both directors so i'm prolly a little pre-disposed to enjoy them, but i certainly did. what good fun!! planet terror was just a blast and furthers rodriguez's genius in my opinion. insane that he writes, directs, shoots, edits, AND composes his movies... sick!

in death proof, the final chase, i was trying to find the 'tell' that showed how they did it other than they really did it, and i couldn't. it's either the best harness team ever, or that is one of the greatest stunts i've ever seen. i'm no expert, but i can generally spot wirework when someone's center of gravity motion is jusssst ever so slightly off. but here... wow it really looked like her only tether to that car hood were her two hands and feet.

it certainly didn't look like anything else was holding her on. i guess it would be easy to have a crane car with the camera and a tether line holding her so that she'd never fall any further down and then just erase but, but in any case, what an awesome action sequence. and then BRILLIANTLY played by kurt russel from the moment he stops to examine his gunshot wound to the very end! that was great!

edit: oh and other tarantino/rodriguez 'verse references i caught:
    el wray (ray) - was the name of the town they were going to in From Dusk till dawn.
    machete - the trailer used a bunch of shots of danny trejo's character from Desperado.
    sex machine from From Dusk till Dawn was one of the sherriffs in planet terror.
    /create

I need to see this ASAP.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    edit: oh and other tarantino/rodriguez 'verse references i caught:
    el wray (ray) - was the name of the town they were going to in From Dusk till dawn.
    machete - the trailer used a bunch of shots of danny trejo's character from Desperado.
    sex machine from From Dusk till Dawn was one of the sherriffs in planet terror.
    Who cares if Gredo shot first? The real question is "Who shot Nice Guy Eddie?"

My wife wants to see Eli Roth's movies now. She's a sick puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Also, from the "Tarantino Universe" it was nice to see Red Apple Cigarettes and Michael Parks playing Sheriff Earl McGraw in both Death Proof and Planet Terror, just as he did in Kill Bill and Dusk to Dawn. Did anyone else pick up on other self references?
    Kahuna Burger got mentioned.

in death proof, the final chase, i was trying to find the 'tell' that showed how they did it other than they really did it, and i couldn't. it's either the best harness team ever, or that is one of the greatest stunts i've ever seen. i'm no expert, but i can generally spot wirework when someone's center of gravity motion is jusssst ever so slightly off. but here... wow it really looked like her only tether to that car hood were her two hands and feet.
    I overheard a bunch of people at the theater explaining the lady was actually a big time stunt-woman back in New Zealand, hence she played herself the movie...something along those lines, and that there are no special effects other than she held on really tight...

Pretty cool if that's true.

Kam
    I overheard a bunch of people at the theater explaining the lady was actually a big time stunt-woman back in New Zealand, hence she played herself the movie...something along those lines, and that there are no special effects other than she held on really tight...

Pretty cool if that's true.
    seriously! she's a pretty amazing specimen to pull that off! can see why she doubled for Uma in kill bill, if she can do that stunt, some tiny lil wire work and sword-swinging is a piece of cake. wow. i don't know if i could do all she did on a parked car.
    /create

Harvey Keitel shot them both...

Who cares if Gredo shot first? The real question is "Who shot Nice Guy Eddie?"

My wife wants to see Eli Roth's movies now. She's a sick puppy.
    If you recall Harvey Keitel's character Mr. White/Larry Dimmick had a specialty...it was guns. If you freeze frame and step through the final shootout scene you can easily see that he snaps off two rounds...one for Joe and one for Eddie.

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    If you recall Harvey Keitel's character Mr. White/Larry Dimmick had a specialty...it was guns. If you freeze frame and step through the final shootout scene you can easily see that he snaps off two rounds...one for Joe and one for Eddie.
    is this right?
    going on memory here but the lil mexican standoff was setup as:
    Joe aiming his gun at mr. orange.
    Mr. white aiming at Joe.
    Nice guy eddie aiming at Mr. White.

Joe shoots Mr. orange (who still doesn't die), mr. white shoots joe. Nice guy eddie shoots mr. white, and as mr. white is going down, he turns and also shoots nice guy eddie. then crawls over to mr. orange and blows his brains out and then the cops shoot mr. white.

happy trails for all.
    /create

Mutant from table 9

Kam
    aha! i was kind of right! haha
    /create

wow. i don't know if i could do all she did on a parked car.
    Or look as cute doing it.

Kam
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy
    Or look as cute doing it.
    or sound as good. mmmm that kiwi accent...
    /create

Yep, she was adorable. A real star turn, as they say.

Another one came to me today as I was driving around and saw a red mid-90s Honda Civic hatchback like the one in the movie: The destruction of old-ish Honda Civics in big shunts, tho the hit was . . . lets just say "bigger" in Deathproof.

Kam
    caught tarantino on craig ferguson last night and he said that end chase was done with no visual effects, and they really were driving between 60-100mph during the shots.
    wow.
    /create

check this out..

My friend and co-writer from our website wrote this interesting piece on the film...

http://www.fulvuedrive-in.com/review...rive-ins+&+The

Saw Grindhouse Sat Night...

Man that is, without a doubt, the best 3 hours I've spent in the dark (with my clothes on) in a long, long, looooong time. I love em both. Planet Terror a bit more but I think I "got it" with "Deathproof". Things I liked in order.

1. The Trailers: I want to see "Machete" and "Thanksgiving" so bad I can taste it. I don't know when I've laughed harder in my life. Gives new life to the phrase, so bad its good.

2. The bumpers: I've seen those bumpers (the little musical interludes before trailers and main features) more times than I can even care to imagine. I saw them and I was immediately transported back in time to some dim quonset hut movie theatre in Ft. Leonard Wood MO.

3. The movies: I loved both flicks. I was bored the first 20 minutes of "DeathProof" but I now think I know what Tarrentino was doing. He gave us a long languid set up then, like the lights going on on the Chevy before it slammed into the Honda, he jolts us into hyperreality. A cinematic slap in the face. It was wonderful.

Bottom line: Most fun double double I've had in years.

Da Worfster

Sunday afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    Man that is, without a doubt, the best 3 hours I've spent in the dark (with my clothes on) in a long, long, looooong time. I love em both. Planet Terror a bit more but I think I "got it" with "Deathproof". Things I liked in order.

1. The Trailers: I want to see "Machete" and "Thanksgiving" so bad I can taste it. I don't know when I've laughed harder in my life. Gives new life to the phrase, so bad its good.

2. The bumpers: I've seen those bumpers (the little musical interludes before trailers and main features) more times than I can even care to imagine. I saw them and I was immediately transported back in time to some dim quonset hut movie theatre in Ft. Leonard Wood MO.

3. The movies: I loved both flicks. I was bored the first 20 minutes of "DeathProof" but I now think I know what Tarrentino was doing. He gave us a long languid set up then, like the lights going on on the Chevy before it slammed into the Honda, he jolts us into hyperreality. A cinematic slap in the face. It was wonderful.

Bottom line: Most fun double double I've had in years.

Da Worfster

Saw it this Sunday and I agree with the Worfmeister. Wow!!

I had forgotten all about that little b-film "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry", until they mentioned it, twice, in the Tarantino film -- I have to find a copy to rent. Anyone know if it's avail on DVD??

Cheers,

audiobill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information