Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why no pictures????

Here's something that I've been pondering for quite some time. This site is dedicated to people with a love for audio and video gear, which works in conjunction with being a site for pictures and posting pictures of that gear. So why do the majority of the people in this forum NOT have pictures of their gear in the gallery? To me, it almost seems like a credibility issue. If you are going to post your 'gear list' than I think you should at least take a picture so that the rest of us don't think you're lying. If Florian didn't have pictures, but went on and on and on about his GRANDS, I think most people would think he was full of BS. He backs up what he says with real proof.

So again I ask...why no pictures?

Forum Regular

I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Here's something that I've been pondering for quite some time. This site is dedicated to people with a love for audio and video gear, which works in conjunction with being a site for pictures and posting pictures of that gear. So why do the majority of the people in this forum NOT have pictures of their gear in the gallery? To me, it almost seems like a credibility issue. If you are going to post your 'gear list' than I think you should at least take a picture so that the rest of us don't think you're lying. If Florian didn't have pictures, but went on and on and on about his GRANDS, I think most people would think he was full of BS. He backs up what he says with real proof.

...HOW to post a pic! I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out... err, at least with my wife's assistance.

But, I agree - it would be fun to see other set-ups. I've been taking a few photos of gear to sell, maybe I'll finish up the roll with some (humble) system pics.

yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy C
    ...HOW to post a pic! I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out... err, at least with my wife's assistance.

But, I agree - it would be fun to see other set-ups. I've been taking a few photos of gear to sell, maybe I'll finish up the roll with some (humble) system pics.
    I love seeing what others have accomplished and/or thought of. Sometimes you can gain great ideas from seeing what others have done. It's hard enough to talk about AUDIO stuff without hearing others setups, let alone not being able to see it as well.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Where to start?...

...first, pictures or no, there are those of us who think Flo is certainly full of something...and that would be of himself...although he seems to be getting a grip on that...and BTW what's to stop anyone from posing at a friend's house or somesuch and having a pic to post...I mean I have a pic of myself at the White House, but that don't mean I'm president! And don't get yer lederhosen in a knot Flo...it's just a f'rinstance...

Many of us don't have digicams...or scanners...or the time...

And what does a pic or two or some laundry list of gear in your sig indicate? Or photos? There is a philosphy that the gear you have is irrelevant...I mean I could go to my local audio salon plunk down $25k and say "outfit me with your best". What does that prove? Probably that I have more money than brains. Much like price vs. performance, it means zippp...

So as far as I'm concerned, you'll have to take me at my word...my speakers are in one room...connected by 50ft/ch of 10ga. to my mostly vintage gear in my custom-built rack with various patch cords connecting some outboard electronics, in the "music room" with a few guitars and keyboards, which is usually in a state unsuitable for public display...nothing to brag about, just off the shelf stuff that I've collected over the last 35 years or so, along with the knowledge and experience to extract quite a bit out of seemingly very little...

jimHJJ(...you know, like any hobbyist does...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...first, pictures or no, there are those of us who think Flo is certainly full of something...and that would be of himself...although he seems to be getting a grip on that...and BTW what's to stop anyone from posing at a friend's house or somesuch and having a pic to post...I mean I have a pic of myself at the White House, but that don't mean I'm president! And don't get yer lederhosen in a knot Flo...it's just a f'rinstance...

Many of us don't have digicams...or scanners...or the time...

And what does a pic or two or some laundry list of gear in your sig indicate? Or photos? There is a philosphy that the gear you have is irrelevant...I mean I could go to my local audio salon plunk down $25k and say "outfit me with your best". What does that prove? Probably that I have more money than brains. Much like price vs. performance, it means zippp...

So as far as I'm concerned, you'll have to take me at my word...my speakers are in one room...connected by 50ft/ch of 10ga. to my mostly vintage gear in my custom-built rack with various patch cords connecting some outboard electronics, in the "music room" with a few guitars and keyboards, which is usually in a state unsuitable for public display...nothing to brag about, just off the shelf stuff that I've collected over the last 35 years or so, along with the knowledge and experience to extract quite a bit out of seemingly very little...

jimHJJ(...you know, like any hobbyist does...)

Right right right....I gotcha. Actually I don't. If this were soley a website on audio stuff than I might understand, but part of this site is about photos and I think everyone should post pictures of their gear or even other gear, just to have pictures is part of the fun of it. Sure, some might lie about their equipment, but that's not really the point. They could lie about many other things as well.

You can come up with lots of excuses for NOT posting pictures and I could understand if you don't have the camera or the scanner, but nowadays that's stretching it a bit as even most phones can take decent pictures. As far as time is concerned...HAHA. You post dozens of responses and lengthy debates I am sure you could squeeze a few more seconds from your life and grab some shots....It takes all of about 5 seconds.

Photos are not for an ego trip, it's fun to share what you have with others and for others to gain ideas and to share ideas. It would be great if the people on here with so many opinions and 'experience' to maybe demonstate some of that by seeing what you have in your setup, versus the mental picture that we are suppose to assert.

Well...

Right right right....I gotcha. Actually I don't. If this were soley a website on audio stuff than I might understand, but part of this site is about photos and I think everyone should post pictures of their gear or even other gear, just to have pictures is part of the fun of it. Sure, some might lie about their equipment, but that's not really the point. They could lie about many other things as well.

You can come up with lots of excuses for NOT posting pictures and I could understand if you don't have the camera or the scanner, but nowadays that's stretching it a bit as even most phones can take decent pictures. As far as time is concerned...HAHA. You post dozens of responses and lengthy debates I am sure you could squeeze a few more seconds from your life and grab some shots....It takes all of about 5 seconds.

Photos are not for an ego trip, it's fun to share what you have with others and for others to gain ideas and to share ideas. It would be great if the people on here with so many opinions and 'experience' to maybe demonstate some of that by seeing what you have in your setup, versus the mental picture that we are suppose to assert.
    ...here's one for ya...no cell phone, don't need one, just one single touch-tone telset (no clock, no caller ID, no distinctive ring or call waiting or...) connected to a landline...Don't need to be connected 24/7...I don't think that highly of myself...so no digicam, no scanner...zero...and I have a SONY Hi-Fi VCR and a 19 Magnavox tee-vee...nothing resembling HT...The JVC DVD player was a result of opening a bank account...and then there's my GPX port CDP ($7 after rebate) from Sears and my modded $6 SONY phones from Wal-Mart...Of course my Senn HD-414s and STAX SR-44s do have their place...

The rest of my stuff is an assortment of mfrs. B*I*C, Audio-Technica, Phillips, Stanton, BSR/Heathkit, Lafayette Radio, Pioneer, Onkyo, TEAC, TASCAM, Marantz, SAE, Audio Control, Sound Concepts, Harman Kardon and BOSE...all housed in a "rack" I designed and built myself...again, nothing particularly spectacular, but IMNSHO capable of some spectacular results...best of all, it's all taught me quite a bit over the years...

And yes, I do take the time to post a bit, but I'd rather try to provide info and debunk hype based on my level of experience and common sense rather than on the depth of my pockets or the WOW! factor of my posessions...

jimHJJ(...BTW, I drive a 16-yr. old Jeep, which like my audio gear I maintain myself...like any good hobbyist...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    It would be great if the people on here with so many opinions and 'experience' to maybe demonstate some of that by seeing what you have in your setup, versus the mental picture that we are suppose to assert.
    These are just the absolute wrong reasons to post a picture of your equipment.

I've never really given thought to the scenario that some posters might be lying about what gear they own. What would the motive for that be? I'd feel sorry for them if they feel the need to do that because of bad experiences they've had with this, or other audio forums.
    I've only known a few individuals in the last 4 years who've ever implied they have X level of knowledge because they own certain gear.

There's a real bad tendency to judge people by the pricetag on their gear. Unfortunately this can lead to newbies taking less than optimal advice.

Experience is demonstrated by the knowledge and help someone provides, not the amount of money they spend or eye-candy they put up for display. I've found the most frugal personalities here to be among the most valuable and experienced contributors.

Lighten up, guys

I'm with you, P.S. -- let's see the pics!! Not to show off but because it's fun.

Now if I said this was my system ...

... then you would know me for a liar and damned liar at that.

(Better have a look here for that one ...
    http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html )

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm with you, P.S. -- let's see the pics!! Not to show off but because it's fun.

...none of it does a thing for me, way too cold and abstract a space...although...sigh...I wish my house was as big as the "audio barn"...

jimHJJ(...there, I'm over it...)

:rofl:
    yupo, I just picked up my Focal JMLab Utopia Be Grands last weekend...

haha

actually I plan to make some mods this summer, I am slowly working on it, and yes I have actually began working on it...
    so when I finish this series of upgrades, I'll have some nice pics :woot:

btw, the smilies I am used to using in different forums don't work here... lol
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

100% in Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    These are just the absolute wrong reasons to post a picture of your equipment.

I've never really given thought to the scenario that some posters might be lying about what gear they own. What would the motive for that be? I'd feel sorry for them if they feel the need to do that because of bad experiences they've had with this, or other audio forums.
    I've only known a few individuals in the last 4 years who've ever implied they have X level of knowledge because they own certain gear.

There's a real bad tendency to judge people by the pricetag on their gear. Unfortunately this can lead to newbies taking less than optimal advice.

Experience is demonstrated by the knowledge and help someone provides, not the amount of money they spend or eye-candy they put up for display. I've found the most frugal personalities here to be among the most valuable and experienced contributors.
    I'll 2nd this point.... having expensive equipment is not a reflection of audio knowledge.... at most it MAY be a reflection of income.... but even that is not guaranteed....

Some of the most knowledgeable members of this forum have relatively humble setups.... and some of the members with very expensive gear.... well, I'll just leave it at that....

I don't mind posting pics for fun, but we shouldn't take pics too seriously.....

Here's the other reason I don't think pics are catching on

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Who wants to be the guy to follow that act?

Seriously, I'm not against posting pics - just against posting pics under threat of being labelled something or other.

You guys are missing the point...

Feanor...you are exempt.

The rest of yinz are totally mis-reading or just not comprehending the point of the matter. I don't think that posting pictures is for show-off factor, but people should be proud of their accomplishments and showing that off in a non-prideful manner is totally cool with me, it should be the same with the rest of you. I think it also gives hope to others who might one day want to have what someone else has and while it's not a good thing to covet what another person has, they should be allowed to aspire to something. Pictures are for fun and enjoyment and I just don't think some of you really 'get' that fact. You all seem to have no problem rambling on and on about this that and the other thing, but it seems odd to me that you can have debates on sound, yet don't have any pictures to show everyone what you are using to justify your cause. Ok, you could post pictures that are fake, sure, but I think most people can call a bluff.

What is also cool about this site is that people who have humble beginnings are still excited to share their photos with everyone and even when they realize that they have work to do in order to meet their goals, they are still showing off what they have. They are not doing it in an arrogant way, but in a fun way. That is why others who see the pictures are usually excited for them. I get excited when people like Bernd has yet another upgraded picture and to see what he is working with. Sometimes it's just nice to see the actual piece of equipment being used instead of a professional manufacturer picture of the component, i'd much rather see it in actual application.

I think some of you take this site way way way too seriously and think that the rest of us are being cocky or stuck up with our pictures, which is just flat out rediculous. There is a photo gallery on this site that should be a cool place for everyone to share photos, encourage one another, and learn from each other. I also think that seeing someones room setup is also a way to help identify who they are as a person and helps gives more of a mental picture with who we are communcating with. Our system helps give us a personality on here, but maybe some of you are afraid of us actually getting to know more about you other than just the opinions you share.

Forum Regular
    I think posting pics is an issues larger than it should be. There is the credibility issues, pics help justify the advice one may give in these types of venues but then again like previously stated who's to say it's actually that person set-up, but I think most of the people who visit forums such as these can spot when a person is talking out their a$$ and when they've actually got a bit of knowledge and some useful insight to share.

I think I will post some pics, I also enjoy seeing what other people are using, how their rooms are set-up...so on and so forth. One other thing, I think a lot of people get intimidated by some of the signatures, and the galleries that some here poses. I've noticed that there are far more hobbiest audiophiles than true audiophiles in the world and I can see it being kind of disheartening when you post pics of what you think is a quality system, that you spent $5k on only to see the next guy trump you with his $25k plus speakers and his $10k amps...I can kind of see that as a reason might be reluctant to post....maybe.

Feanor...you are exempt.

The rest of yinz are totally mis-reading or just not comprehending the point of the matter. I don't think that posting pictures is for show-off factor, but people should be proud of their accomplishments and showing that off in a non-prideful manner is totally cool with me, it should be the same with the rest of you. I think it also gives hope to others who might one day want to have what someone else has and while it's not a good thing to covet what another person has, they should be allowed to aspire to something. Pictures are for fun and enjoyment and I just don't think some of you really 'get' that fact. You all seem to have no problem rambling on and on about this that and the other thing, but it seems odd to me that you can have debates on sound, yet don't have any pictures to show everyone what you are using to justify your cause. Ok, you could post pictures that are fake, sure, but I think most people can call a bluff.

What is also cool about this site is that people who have humble beginnings are still excited to share their photos with everyone and even when they realize that they have work to do in order to meet their goals, they are still showing off what they have. They are not doing it in an arrogant way, but in a fun way. That is why others who see the pictures are usually excited for them. I get excited when people like Bernd has yet another upgraded picture and to see what he is working with. Sometimes it's just nice to see the actual piece of equipment being used instead of a professional manufacturer picture of the component, i'd much rather see it in actual application.

I think some of you take this site way way way too seriously and think that the rest of us are being cocky or stuck up with our pictures, which is just flat out rediculous. There is a photo gallery on this site that should be a cool place for everyone to share photos, encourage one another, and learn from each other. I also think that seeing someones room setup is also a way to help identify who they are as a person and helps gives more of a mental picture with who we are communcating with. Our system helps give us a personality on here, but maybe some of you are afraid of us actually getting to know more about you other than just the opinions you share.
    On these points I'm in 100% agreement with...Pics should be fun and posted by people who want to at their leisure. That's just a very, very different message than
    To me, it almost seems like a credibility issue. If you are going to post your 'gear list' than I think you should at least take a picture so that the rest of us don't think you're lying.
    which really seems to be a pre-emptive attack or accusation or something more than an encouragement. Can't really accuse us of misreading when you so explicitly made these comments.

Forum Regular
    Ah, what-a-coiincident! I thought about that when I wanted to see ppl's gear but not so many contributed. I tried to attempt once or twice but unsuccess. I love cars, luxury ones and that takes most of my free time; However, this audio world quickly get my attention, so I'll look into it.

Suspended
    ...The rest of my stuff is an assortment of mfrs. B*I*C, Audio-Technica, Phillips, Stanton, BSR/Heathkit, Lafayette Radio, Pioneer, Onkyo, TEAC, TASCAM, Marantz, SAE, Audio Control, Sound Concepts, Harman Kardon and BOSE...all housed in a "rack" I designed and built myself...again, nothing particularly spectacular, but IMNSHO capable of some spectacular results...best of all, it's all taught me quite a bit over the years......

jimHJJ(...BTW, I drive a 16-yr. old Jeep, which like my audio gear I maintain myself...like any good hobbyist...)
    B*I*C??? Audio-Technica??? Heathkit??? Lafayette??? Oh My Gosh!!!

I remember ALL of these brands. When I was in high school, my major was Electric shop. That was between 1971 & 75, and I almost bought a Heathkit (build it yourself) stereo amplifier, I think it was. IIRC, B*I*C made record players, Audio-Technica: phono cartridges (still do) and didn't Lafayette get bought out by Tandy corp. way back in the late 70's? BTW, I have an AKAI M9 reel-to-reel recorder with the "original Crossfield 4 Track Recording heads". Whaddaya think of that?!?!?

Your post here jimHJJ just taught me something about you, and that is... you're as old as me!!!

Seriously though, I think PS's intention here was an honorable one; it's usually not hard to separate the genuine personalities from the false prophets, and I do plan to post some pictures of my HT as soon as it's complete. Here are my two excuses:

1. My HT room right now is occupied by an 800 lb. pool table, which sits dead center of the living room. My original intention for that room was to have a nice game room, but I soon realized that trying to furnish one is beyond my means.
    2. My home computer is in a bad way right now, so I don't have the necessary tools to post up pictures.

In my original sig I mentioned that my B&W's were discontimued but that I didn't care because they were free. I removed that part when it came to me that I may be creating the impression that unlike probably everybody else on this forum, I'm bragging about something that I didn't work for or came into honestly.

[clearing conscience]Make no mistake, I consider myself very fortunate to have been in the right place at the right time when I and my co-workers were requested to clean out an audio device development lab here at work. I believe that when this equipment was offered to me, I took the proper and ethical steps before I brought them home. But having said that, please feel free to reach out and slap me in the event I forget my place.[/clearing conscience]

I spent over an hour the other day looking at pictures of peoples setups mainly to get some ideas about how and what room treatments were applied because I'll probably have LFE & high frequency issues to deal with when all's said and done. I've gotten good advice on that subject from members here, but pictures sometimes make visualizing the advice more clear. The pictures also give me reinforcement about the ideas I already have implemented.

Anyway, this is a very entertaining thread, and I vote to make PS camp counselor!

why just post random pics?
    it's just waste of server space, not that i'm against posting pics, but do you have to post pics everytime you move your speaker 0.5 degrees? or everytime you think the lightning changes? No, you don't have to. You post a pic to let people see what you did, like "hey guys, take a look at my new speakers/amp/tt/..." that's worth taking a picture, and then pics will come.

and seriously, there are quite some pics here...

Rock on,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Mutant from table 9

My thoughts

...I don't think that highly of myself...

but I'd rather try to provide info and debunk hype based on my level of experience and common sense

Those are a little inconsistent. You do think highly enough of yourself to offer advice based on experience. Why disparage people who need cell phones by implying that they think too highly of themselves?

Also, Kex is right. You're not being misinterpretted. Your initial post essentially said "Post pics or you're suspect."

But, in your defense, I do "get" what your saying. It may be a generational thing. Lots of people fake out on the internet. RL may say "Why would anyone lie?" That's the question I asked often about a member of my gaming clan that always refused to get on headset. I don't know why anyone would pretend to be a teenage girl, but I'm pretty sure that person was. Maybe RL's just too much of a grandpa to understand the concerns of the interwebs.

Accordingly, I'm game. I'll post some picks of my decidedly, not-that-expensive, mid fi rig, then you can decide if i'm suspect or not.

PS Feanor's chair looks like something you could be "serviced" in. (I know that's not his system)

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

So in my case ...

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    why just post random pics?
    it's just waste of server space, not that i'm against posting pics, but do you have to post pics everytime you move your speaker 0.5 degrees? or everytime you think the lightning changes? No, you don't have to. You post a pic to let people see what you did, like "hey guys, take a look at my new speakers/amp/tt/..." that's worth taking a picture, and then pics will come.

and seriously, there are quite some pics here...

Rock on,
    Bert.
    I post pictures frequently. But in fact 90% are not of my equipment and not even taken by me. A picture can illustrate a point or can be the point: either way pictures are fun.

If a person acquires a component, (bought, borrowed, stolen, or been bequithed), I love to see a picture, (thank you, Bernd). I have taken the liberty on quite few occassions to obtain and post a picture of equipment someone else has got: is that presumptuous of me? (Sinclair, hope you don't think so.)

As for how I get pictures, most aren't from my camera, (so no camera is not an argument). Most I get from the Web. Sometimes I snag them and upload them to this site; sometimes I put them on my own site and link to there; sometimes I link directly to the source website -- whichever seems easier at the moment.

As for the time it takes, I almost never spend 10 minutes looking for a picture and preparing the link or uploading. Most often it's 2-4 minutes minutes and sometimes less if I have the picture or know where to get it directly. Is that too much time for you to spend? If so I understand; it's your judgement entirely.

Post photos!! Not for PROOF or to show off, but because it's fun to check out other peoples gear! Even the gear of an old curmudgeon like you, RL. A lot of us love the old stuff. for a while, my entire system save my TV & DVDP were older than me.. (Thorens TT>>Fisher tube Receiver>>Klipsch Cornwalls) it was great!

it's fun to check out other peoples set ups..

I'll start:

Bangin'!

Suspended
    That does it. I'm gonna break out my reel-to-reel which'll open a can of whoop-ass on all y'all!

Now where's that dam cell phone.

Nice jalopy, TS...I had an ond Emerson, might have been a Yorx, my mom gave me when I was, oh, 8 or so that looked pretty much just like it.
    Come to think of it, I had an Aiwa later on that wasn't too dissimilar as well...me and those old Disney read along story LP's, and a Star Wars of course use to rock out till the we hours of the morning on that...

Suspended
    Stand back!

The original Crossfield 4 track recording heads:

I found a website a couple of years ago for parts, but the amp isn't in very good shape anymore and the drive mechanism has gotten quite weak.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information