MCF
    Forum Regular

Plasma/LCD...out of loop for a while...

About two years ago I purchased a Pioneer Elite 50" Plasma for $6000 (that is what they were going for then). I check now and I see 50" plasmas left and right for $2000. I would love to get a 60" plasma (or LCD) to replace the pioneer 50" and put the 50" in my bedroom at the end of this year. Are prices expected to continue to drop over the next 6-8 months as I will not be back in the US until November? Also, I see LCD sizes are up in the 50" size and when I was looking they were still at about 42". How does the price of LCD compare to plasma.

If you were getting a 60" plasma, which would you recommend and why (btw, I did have the dreaded buzzing from my 50" Pioneer and it was serviced and mostly resolved, but I will never get another plasma that has any chance of inherent louder than normal buzzing)..

MCF
    Forum Regular

Doesn't sound like Pioneer solved their problem...

Just read a review of a Pioneer 42" Plasma and reviewer states, "Loud buzz. My biggest complaint about the set was a loud buzz emanating from the set almost all the time. The longer the set was on the, the worse it got. Trying to watch late at night at low volume was nearly impossible as the buzz from the set would over power the volume. This was the most damning flaw, and the only one that make me hesitant to purchase the set. True, my room is probably too small for the set and i was likely sitting too close". I will never buy another Pioneer Plasma because of this problem...it's too bad Pioneer can not reduce this buzz to tolerable levels as I think most agree the Elite line is the best picture available....

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    I just bought a 50" Pioneer Plasma ($2599) and I have NO buzzing. So I guess it depends on the set.

For what its worth, depending upon the retailer you should be able to return within so many days if you have a problem.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Good luck..

I hope you got the Elite or extended your warranty to two years...mine was perfectly silent the first year and then very slowly the buzzing started and got louder and louder. After 15 months, a service tech came to the house and agreed the buzzing was abnormally loud...took tv, replaced board and brought it back. Buzzing gone, but I swear the pic isn't as nice as when I first got the tv. My next one will be one of the new Pana's as I have never read anyone complaining about panas buzzing.....do a google search for Pioneer plasma buzz and you will see lots of stuff about it. Pioneer even states in it's manual that 'some buzzing' is normal. I agree some is, but not to the point people are complaining about it a lot. Enjoy the tv...the pic is unbeatable and hopefully you will never hear the buzz (even if it is there...some people don't hear it).....

Pioneer is revamping all of their panels this summer...A lot of retail companies just disco'd the PRO1140HD and the PRO940HD. I heard the contrast ratio is out of this world.
    I have the PRO1130HD and I don't have any buzzing noizes that you have, knock on wood...

Thread Information