Question I want to buy a Plasma tv but.....

I was at Wal-Mart looking at a HD Magnavox 50" Plasma tv but,before I spend over $1900 I need to ask something.I play ps2 console games ALOT & I normally I play Ghost Recon for 4 hours straight & only stop once or twice during that time. My question is...Do Plasma tvs have " burn in " problems? I own a 40" Magnavox tv & I want to buy a HD Plasma but,if they have a burn in problem should I go w/ a DLP?? Thanks !

What do your friends at Best Buy and H & H Gregg say?

HELP !! I have a Ohm problem....

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Don't shop at Wal-Mart -- they're evil.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    yes plasma displays can retain a static image but it's more of a issue on lower end units. Since your using a PS2 and you've made no mention of room lay-out, viewing distance, other source components, etc., I would recommend a rear projected microdisplay ( technology type ?) with 720p native; this is based solely on price point and your present game console

Shoot, you can get a 56" 1080p JVC HDiLA at Costco for less than the price of that Magnavox plasma.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    You should be fine. I have a Sony Wega 37" and a Pioneer 50" Plasma, and no problems running with my 360. The picture is awesome on both.

You ought to step up and get a new console to go with that shiny new TV!

Forum Regular
    He won't be fine if he buys the Magnavox ( Philips" low end) . Comparing a 360 and a Pioneer plasma to what he wants is like a chevy colbalt vs a vette. Technically I couldn't tell you why ( that's what I hire technicians to do) but I have witnessed burn-in on a low-end plasma using an X-box!

Plasma panels are inherently subject to uneven wear or etched artifacts when images are left unattended on them for an extended period of time. It takes extra care to incorporate the wipe screens, pixel shifting, or whatever else that manufacturers employ in an attempt to mitigate this phenomenon. These measures cost money that would detract from the low price that certain plasmas, like the Magnavox, can carry. Thus, these budget units are often equipped with older panels and technologies that offer no protection whatsoever from burn-in, requiring consumers to keep brightness/contrast levels low, fill the screen whenever possible via zoom modes, choose programming wisely, shut the TV down when no one's watching, and knock on wood. But not even user prudence is completely effective, especially when the technology isn't supportive. If you are a dedicated gamer, and committed to an affordable plasma, you might look at the least expensive unit from a mainstream manufacturer that includes burn-in protection in its circuitry. Then research it carefully. The safest course for a gamer, however, would be to buy a microdisplay or an LCD panel with a fast refresh rate (even though a quality plasma, with the moon in the seventh house and the parameters at appropriate levels, might not suffer any ill effects). LCD, LCoS, and DLP would allow you to simply plug and play, if you're the no fuss-no muss type.

Wow ! That is a lot to think about. Thanks everyone !

Thread Information