Forum Regular

TRAIN OF THOUGHT -- Dream Theater

This is the recent release of DT. For me, this sounds to me like a cross between the older DT stuff and the newer stuff (by newer stuff, I mean 6 Degrees)..........in fact, one tune is built to sound like My Glass Prison, Part 2.

This CD is getting better the more I listen although, it is not really anything new from DT, but more of their same (but great) material.

Recommended.

You bet

I made a post about ToT right before they switched to the new forums on me....

ToT is an average album for DT. They've made several ones that are much better but a few that are not as good. This album is very heavy and dark and not as "musical" as DT has been known to be in the past.

For a first DT album, grab "Scenes From a Memory".

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    So how's the production MC? I'm taking a poll. I really hated the production on 6DOIT -- just too compressed and flat, no dynamics whatsoever, similar to Rush's last one. But I thought the first couple of albums and even Scenes from a Mammary was excellent, production-wise.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Well, you can finally hear BASS!

So that's a HUGE plus. On the downside, the keys are hard to catch and some times, and the vocals are plain horrible to my ears. Although honestly, i'm done most of my listening through ****ty headphones or my Altec ATP-5 Computer speakers. As usual, drums and guitar are out front. I would say, again, that the production is average. Everything about this album is average, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    So how's the production MC? I'm taking a poll. I really hated the production on 6DOIT -- just too compressed and flat, no dynamics whatsoever, similar to Rush's last one. But I thought the first couple of albums and even Scenes from a Mammary was excellent, production-wise.

Forum Regular

production

I would agree that, as usual, the guitar and drums are out front........big surprise since the producers of the album are Portnoy & Petrucci.

The sonics on this album are a bit compressed -- ala 6DOIT -- but the instrumentation is so different that it is not near as noticable.

6DOIT had mucho synthetic symphonic layers -- this album is more back to the basics........guitar, drums, bass & keys.

Forum Regular
    I have a real hard time listening to any DT on cd for some reason.

However, the "Scenes from a Memory" dvd is incredible. Should have gone and seen this band when I had the opportunity.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_G
    I have a real hard time listening to any DT on cd for some reason.

However, the "Scenes from a Memory" dvd is incredible. Should have gone and seen this band when I had the opportunity.

Dave
    Yes you should have Dave. Hearing that album played live was simply incredible. Although i saw it at The Rave in Milwaukee (read: Horrible acoustics), i would have paid $100 for that ticket.

It's impossible to dream up that music for a cd. But to hear it played in its entirety live.......

wow...

Thread Information